Iphone 3.0 SMART SETTINGS

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by sunshadow, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sunshadow

sunshadow New Member

Does anyone know the SMART MMS & TETHERING SETTINGS for the Iphone 3.0? Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

2. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Good question .... anyone?

3. du1jec

du1jec Member

MMS

APN: mms
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    MMSC: http://10.102.61.238:8002
    MMS PROXY: 10.102.61.46:8080

Since SMART is not one of the"OFFICIAL" iPhone providers there is not a carrier file for SMART. One has to be written with the network parameters for SMART as well as the proper switches to enable tethering.

I am not inclined to do this since I am quite happy with my SmartBRO but there is a tutorial at:
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/19/complete-how-to-tethering-an-iphone-with-30-firmware/

You can infer what needs to be done to create a carrier file for SMART from the discussion here.

Good Luck! Pls. post if you are successful.

4. sunshadow

sunshadow New Member

Thanks a lot for the settings! It works really well. As soon as I sent the MMS to myself, it came in just as soon as it was sent.

Now, I need to do the tethering.

Thanks again!

5. sunshadow

sunshadow New Member

The tutorial you directed me to has gotten me all confused. Is there any other way I can tether using Smart and my Iphone?

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I take it your using an unlocked iPhone 3G?

7. sunshadow

sunshadow New Member

Yes, I am.

8. nikki_md

nikki_md Member

i'm also a smart subscriber and using an open line iPhone 3G. i went to smart wireless center before to ask how to enable the MMS of my iPhone. They said they weren't inclined to give the settings because they noticed that those with enabled phones kept complaining about their bills shooting up. probably because smart has no set charges for the data service of the iPhone. actually, i see their point.

9. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

For the easy setup, using your iphone, goto http://help.benm.at/help.php, cllick Mobileconfigs (create), type internet in the APN, make sure Enable Tethering is On, then click Generate. It will then show you a custom mobile config which you need to install. just ignore the warning and install anyway. Reboot, then enable Tethering in Settings, General, Network.

For people who regularly swap Smart and Sun SIMs on their iphone, I posted a tutorial at http://www.applei.ph/one/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,49/func,view/catid,61/id,46219/#46282 though it's only for jailbroken 3G iphones since it requires OpenSSH installed.

10. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

I wrote a tutorial also which convert's Tulisan's tutorial for Windows into a mac version.

But the bonus is I included a method to enable MMS and Tethering for SMART/SUN WITHOUT doing "that which must not be named". :)

11. jondextan

jondextan Member

thanks tulisan, trying it right now on smart! :D

12. jondextan

jondextan Member

weird thing's been happening to me lately, i can't seem to accept MMS sent to me as i get messages saying...

which is weird coz i tried sending one to me and i was able to but can't receive it properly like before, all i get is the message above. any ideas anyone?

13. jillsingian

jillsingian Active Member

Hi guys! Sorry for the newbie question but the 3gs has 2 toggles one for edge and the other for 3g. If I turn edge off and leave 3g on, will I still be billed for data charges? (I just upgraded from an iPhone classic) ü

14. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

Two toggles? Where is this located? AFAIK, there's only one toggle and that's for 3G.

15. jillsingian

my bad.. i meant on SBSettings there are 2 toggles. tia :0)

16. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

It's ok. :) Try to turn off 3G first and check if you can still connect to the internet or not. If it connects, it means that your phone is using either edge connection or gprs to surf the web. Then that's the time you toggle edge. If it still connects, better check if your APN is mispelled correctly or not.

17. jillsingian

ok will do! thanks jAyTriXz :0)

18. rattrap

rattrap New Member

ok... same but related to jillsingian's question...

i have a 3gs phone with my smart postpaid sim on it. Weird thing about it is that it seems when I turn off the 3gs and EDGE setting in SBSettings, I can't seem to recieve SMS and if my friends call me it seems that my phone cannot be reached even if we are just a few feet apart.

I don't think it is a line problem though, because if I text Smart to get my current balance, I receive an immediate reply from their server. I can still make calls even to landlines. I called their hotline number and they said that I should try turning on the 3G so I would be using the 3g network and not the GSM network.

Ok the question is, will I get charged by Smart if I turned on the 3G and EDGE but I wouldn't be placing any configuration on the internet... i.e. I won't be placing the word "internet" in the APN?

19. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

Try Settings-Phone-Show My Caller ID - ON. That fixes most SMART iPhone issues.

As to your APN query. Just put APN: internet1 to turn off data charging. Remove the 1 to turn it back on. :)

20. Prancisfena

Prancisfena Member

Haha reading this thread has made me think twice about getting an iPhone. Was planning to get one by the end of the year but i'm a smart subscriber. Super hassle ba or i just really have to do my homework and research?