iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off Mobile data (3G EDGE and GPRS)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by elbert, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

Maybe you should double check with Globe directly?

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

I've been using my iPhone 3G for over a day now, and my Cellular Network Data usage is still at 0 bytes for both sent and received.

-Enable 3G is set to ON.
    -I've been accessing a lot of Internet data via Wi-Fi, but I've also launched Internet apps (like Safari, Mail and Weather) outside of WiFi covered areas. Of course I get the "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data network" message.

3. anthony0420

anthony0420 Member

I had to reset my Cellular Network Data Statistics and apply the APN disabler again. Then I tried accessing sites via safari and checked my email using mail. After that, the counters remained to zero. I also get the "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data network" message.

Here's my total unbilled charges as of today: Php 44.02
    Do you think the stats shown here is accurate? "Amount Due: Due on December 31, 1949". haha.

I wonder where i got that? Does that mean I've consumed my Free Local Mobile Internet Hours already? I'm on Plan 1599 btw. The Free Local Mobile Internet Hours applies to the EDGE, GPRS and 3G connection right? I will still monitor this on the following days.

Thanks! :)

#103 anthony0420, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

I think the unbilled charges you see does not take into account your free minutes, free data. It does not even take into account your free text messages. It just shows your usage in terms of peso amount. At least this is what I experience with my GFlex plan.

5. estatiktik

estatiktik Member

does the settings -> general -> network and the enable 3g and data romaing turned off do nothing?...

6. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

with this method on, can i still surf the net via wifi?

7. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

yes... Im using it also. Wifi works but when i turn off wifi and tried to surf i get an error just what like sir elbert said...

8. AKC

AKC Member

As duncan already pointed out, the unbilled charges do not take into account free minutes, texts, etc included on your plan.

@scoflip, yup you can still use wifi even if elbert's method installed :)

9. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I think this is applicable when you check unbilled charges thru myglobe portal. But if you check thru 2312, you can get a more detailed billing which is really helpful if you want to monitor your usage :)

10. AKC

AKC Member

i agree with bluedragonph that checking via 2312 has a more detailed billing but at the end of the 3 part message from 2312 it says that free minutes/text allocation has not been deducted from the detailed billing sent via sms. :)

11. englishrose

englishrose Member

i am using a wi-fi at home so i should have a free access of internet accdg. to Globe but when i checked my unbilled charges the other day via 2312 it says that i have P530.00 internet charges. it was disappointing because i did not even go out that day so i am sure i am getting my wi-fi connection. they said they could only fix the problem once i get my billing statement. :(

12. bushy_eyebrows

bushy_eyebrows New Member

please correct me if i'm wrong, by disabling 3g, edge and gprs. can i still surf using wifi?

13. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

aw... i just answered that question.. back read please... yes you can still surf using wifi...

14. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

great tip. getting paranoid when i saw the data received at 20MB. checked my billing its 270 for internet. i just changed the APN settings to be sure.

15. estatiktik

estatiktik Member

hello guys new to iphone...cant seem to find the APN option on my settings...just VPN...just got a 16gb iphone 3g from globe...

how do you install ssh on the phone?...

i checked this morning my unbilling and my net browsing was 57 pesos, that was like 12 noon...then did a little browsing using wifi network and downloaded some epub for stanza...i checked again almost midnight and it jumped to 287 pesos...my phone never left the wifi network...getting paranoid also...:(

is it normal also that the phone shows edge network when lock and then upon unlocking shows the wifi signal?...

and how do you check for the amount of data recieved and sent?...

sorry lots of questions, im really scared how much my bill will be, cause i only had the phone for like 5 days...thanks...

16. IronMan

IronMan Member

Go to Settings\General\Usage. Scroll to the bottom.

17. bushy_eyebrows

bushy_eyebrows New Member

OT

@ ikitub

sorry for that...maybe i just skipped page 11 :D

18. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

A friend of mine got this info from Globe:

For postpaid subscribers, it's true that quitting an app ends the session. However, if you reconnect and the new session is within the previous 15 minute block, Globe will not charge you again (at least after the previous 15 minute block is consumed). Unfortunately, this type of charging does not apply to prepaid. The prepaid account will get charged 5 pesos for every new session.

If this is true, it would put it "at par" with Smart -- at least for postpaid subscribers.

19. lorodz

lorodz Member

too much for an expensive gadget that cannot turn a connection off. talk about user friendly apple

20. elbert

elbert Active Member

Uhm, haven't you been reading? this whole thread is about turning off mobile data. Heck, even the thread title says it. Let me guess, you don't own an iPhone. Only someone who doesn't own an iPhone can say such a statement.