iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off Mobile data (3G EDGE and GPRS)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by elbert, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

just to be clear, elbert's method--which is now more popular than the rhythm method ;)--prevents users from accessing the internet; they are effectively attempting to connect to the wrong internet access point.

turning off 3g only saves your batteries, and may degrade the quality of your voice calls (3g handles inter-cell site hand-off differently.)

2. butchm

butchm Member

Just installed the mobileconfig, and my Cellular Network Data Received suddenly jumped to more than 20MB from less than 1MB before I installed it! Anyone else experienced this?

When I try an app that uses the internet, it shows the message that it could not connect to the internet, and when I check the data usage it has increased by 200kb to 500kb. Is this normal if there is no mobile data connection?

3. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not sure with the 3G iPhone, but with the iPhone Classic, the moment you tap the Mail icon, it automatically connects to the internet even if what you are accessing is a stored e-mail already. So my suspect is this "data connection" occurred when you clicked the mail icon to access the mobileconfig already stored in your IMAP folder.

#83 docnico, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  4. butchm

butchm Member

@aragorn - thanks! When I sent the email to myself and checked it, I was connected to my wifi router. I just noticed the big jump in the data usage after installing mobile config file. Just want to verify that the data usage is that big with data disabled.

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

butch, perhaps your data usage is wifi related and that other mail messages are involved? IMAP is all about synchronization, and it's possible that other IMAP folders were updated in the process.

From my experience, whenever I access the mobileconfig file from my IMAP folder, it's locally stored in the iPhone. Therefore, I don't need an Internet connection to access it.

6. namron2000

namron2000 Member

i called up globe and ask them, if i am done with the browsing what do i do to end my session? the reply was just hit the home button. so, i asked him, are you sure? he then paused and asked for 3 minutes to call their technical group. he confirmed to me that yes, hitting the home buttom will disable browsing. will i trust globe about this?

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

I think this thread, along with many others in this forum, explain this well enough. Please just backtrack a bit and you'll find the answer to your question.

8. namron2000

namron2000 Member

Re: iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off EDGE and GPRS

i read the thread from 1st to the last and there seemed to be no answer for this. sorry if i missed the answer. thanks

9. namron2000

namron2000 Member

furthermore, all replies here are just speculations as to how much the bill would be come next billing period. so i called up globe and ask them about this. that is why i was asking if we should trust globe about it. thanks.

10. AKC

AKC Member

just a further clarification (hehehe) if i turn on 3g along with using elbert's method, i would still not be charged right? thanks :)

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

yes, 3g is not just for data. elbert's method makes internet inaccessible, but you can still use 3g for better call quality, etc.

@namron: if you don't believe globe (i don't blame you), create a bookmark of either a blank page or something light and static, like google's home page. after you're done browsing, go to that blank or light/static page--which will not consume any data network resources.

12. namron2000

namron2000 Member

but i am on time browsing. well anyways i checked the unbilled fees with globe so far I had been charged a measly 56 pesos for the browsing. Not bad. Not good either coz i dont remember browsing that long through globe. got wifi at home

13. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

why i don't have the cellular data network?

14. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

guys help please, read the entire thread so sorry talaga kung di ko pa din naintindihan, just got the iphone 3g from globe and it is not yet registered, tehy just connected it sa itunes sa globe so i can see the interface, i will connect it to itunes for the first time sa hse mamyang gabi, so what would be my steps in order to ensure that mobile data is set to "off" first time ko kse kumuha ng line, baka first month pa lang butas na bulsa ko, hehe, thanks in advance!

15. elbert

elbert Active Member

shootertwist, please spell out your words in full. We don't accept txt lingo in PhilMUG. Thanks.

16. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry about that

17. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Hmm I can't figure out how I can access the folder without internet connection. I think this is related to Gmail's IMAP. I have no idea how to do this.

18. anthony0420

anthony0420 Member

I've been using the APN disabler since the day I got my iPhone (which is last thurs). But my Cellular Network Data usage still keeps on increasing. Is that normal? I only use the internet when I'm connected via wifi. I'm so getting paranoid. haha. Pardon me.

19. elbert

elbert Active Member

I'm trying to figure out why Gail IMAP doesn't store the email locally like it does for MobileMe. Will get back to you.

Okay, that's weird. My Cellular Network Data usage stays at 0, but then again, I haven't seen if it changes when I'm out of my Wi-Fi zone. I'll see what happens today and will get back to you.

20. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

^^Same here. When I disabled my APN last August 24, my unbilled internet usage was 310 pesos. When I checked it again last August 27(three days from disabling my APN) my unbilled internet usage increased to 718 pesos. I'm also getting paranoid :(