iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off Mobile data (3G EDGE and GPRS)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by elbert, Jul 22, 2008.

1. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

I cant find the folder with the plus sign in my phone. I only saw the folder with a down arrow sign. When I clicked it, it let me transfer my message to another folder. Is this it? :)

2. whizler

whizler Member

hmm just wondering for better understanding, why are we no longer allowed to talk about jailbreaking in philmug? also I think we have to update the thread "The Unofficial PhilMUG iPhone FAQ" so that people will be in the know about this new rule.

sorry for the O.T. guys, its either I need to create a thread or just insert this is in here...

3. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

Jailbreaking discussions are no longer allowed because the iPhone has already been officially released here by Apple. :)

4. mac_virgin

mac_virgin Member

last question. if i reset network will this turn back on my globe edge? nothing bad going to happen to my 1st gen iphone?

5. regattap

regattap Member

visit applei.ph. They can answer virtually all queries regarding iPhone be it 1Gen or the 3G. Ciao!

6. viral_variance

this method is sooooo uber cool!! :D

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

If you can't find the folder with a "+" sign in Mail, then I'm guessing one of the following is true:
    1. you're on a pre-version 2.0 iPhone
    2. Your mail account is not setup for IMAP
    3. You're on IMAP but you don't have any folders setup yet (which is not probable since IMAP folders normally include Drafts, Sent and Trash).

No problem, Just review our Policy on iPhone Jeailbreaking and Unlocking to understand why.

Yes, when you remove the profile, the network setting will revert to original, untouched state. It doesn't matter if you're on a 1st gen iPhone with 2.x.x or an iPhone 3G. It's harmless.

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

Re: iPhone 2.0 How To: turn off EDGE and GPRS

BTW, I tried creating another profile, but discovered the the iPhone will store only one profile at a time. You can't switch between profiles, you either activate or remove them. It's actually simpler to be without a secondary profile.

9. archiepaul

archiepaul Member

Hi Guys!

I tried emailing the file to myself and used my iphone to access it via gmail but safari prompts me an error saying safari can't download the file.

What to do?

Thanks!
    Archie

10. archiepaul

archiepaul Member

Sorry Guys!

My bad. Not paying attention on the posts... hehehe I have disabled it na.

Question, can I turn on 3g and use it instead?

11. louien

louien Member

OK, disabled 3G/ EDGE using sir Elbert's disabler, question though, will it matter that I haven't updated my carrier setting (update that shows when you unbrick/ activate phone)? Am I correct that it doesn't as I show the disabler in SETTINGS>GENERAL>PROFILE? or should I update my carrier settings? Thanks!

12. louien

louien Member

Also, the disabler was supposed to deactivate edge - so it doesn't matter that an 'E' sign appears on the upper left of the screen? As it was mentioned that it only signifies availability? Now I may be answering my own question here, but please indulge me, hehe. Appreciate it!

13. elbert

elbert Active Member

It doesn't matter if you've updated the carrier list or not. It works just the same.

The "E" will appear even if you've disabled your APN. You can tell for sure that your data is off by trying to access a web site in Safari with your Wi-Fi turned off.

14. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

I can't seem to be able to set up my Gmail properly...

15. dep28

dep28 Active Member

@elbert, will the fix you shared still work even if firmware is updated to 2.0.2? i recall doblezeta mentioning in another thread that 2.0.2 undid the fixes he did to change his apn and he can no longer edit the apn...

cheers,

16. louien

louien Member

Thanks sir Elbert!

17. elbert

elbert Active Member

It works on iPhone 2.x.x (all versions of iPhone 2)

18. dep28

dep28 Active Member

thank you elbert!

19. whizler

whizler Member

"No problem, Just review our Policy on iPhone Jeailbreaking and Unlocking to understand why."

thanks elbert, now i openly and acceptably understand why! kudos! we are in the right direction!

Also, thanks for the tip on this edge thing, it help me and a couple of my peers! ^_^

P.S.: forgive me, the reply button should have quoted elbert in the previous page.. anyhow.. my bad

#79 whizler, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  20. anthony0420

anthony0420 Member

Hi! Just want to clear this. I kinda got lost na from the previous posts. haha.

If I use sir elbert's method and turn off 3g, that means no more worry about the excess data charge right? I might get a postpaid plan kasi later. thanks! :)