iPhone 12 & 12 mini

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by denpacs, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

11 Pro Max is still a solid choice in 2020. I am keeping mine and will upgrade next year, battery is beyond exeptional on my 11 pro max 1 year in, charging only every other day. Might get the 12 mini as a secondary phone. coz of the size and the design.

raypin likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

hmmm, tough decision. if you were using the 11 Pro Max - then I would suggest you keep it. but buying last years top of the line model vs this years model is a different story.

12 vs 11 Pro Max

12 has better processor and same RAM as the 11 Pro Max
    12 has the "Dolby Vision HDR" (read the fine print on this one)
    11 Pro Max has the telephoto lens

IMO, if you don't mind the colors and don't need the tele lens, my vote goes to the 12.

3. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Some esrly hands-on with the 12 mini. (y)

jayparalejas likes this.
  4. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

5. magnus

magnus Active Member

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...unbiased photo performance:

One more reason to buy the...

jayparalejas likes this.
  7. mree

mree Well-Known Member

I’m good with the pricing of the mini. Will get the white one as soon as it becomes available. Pero I am disappointed they’re going to sell the leather sleeves for almost 8k. Oh well, Apple.

8. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Here’s a curious question to you guys - coming in from an iPhone 7 Plus 128gb, is it worth it to go to an iPhone 12, or 12 Mini or 11?

Given: the budget is as close as possible to Php50,000 and should be sourced at either PowerMac or Beyond the Box. Storage is 128GB.

Thanks!

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...since you seem to take a long time to upgrade, my advice is to upgrade to the latest iPhone (12). Choosing between the iPhone 12 and 12 mini is easy. While the mini is great for one-handed use because of its dimunitive size (relative to almost every new smartphone of 2020), think of the better battery life of the iPhone 12. Get within the 12, ignore the 11. Splurge a little bit.

Nisroc88 likes this.
  10. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts. You’re right, I do take a while to upgrade simply coz the iPhone 7plus can still run the latest iOS as of this writing. Yeah, I’m thinking of the 12 - hoping it’ll last for the next few years AND the battery lasts.

11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is your phone your only computing device? If you have an iPad or Mac, you can live with a mini IMO. Get the 6.1" if you rely on most of your needs on a single device. For someone like me, I'd rather shift over to my iPad for reading docs or watching Netflix. Screen size and battery longevity is beneficial in the longer term and when you travel a lot. For now, I'm betting the mini will run laps around the battery life of your iPhone 7. [2,200mAh (12) vs. 1800mAh (7)] -- in a smaller footprint, to add.

P.S.
    Mini: The screen is the same width as 7 series. Watching YouTube unzoomed will look the same. Keyboard and UI layout is less cramped of course. Either way, both are considered a huge upgrade coming from a 7.
    6.1": almost same dimensions of iPhone X with bigger screen due to the more efficient boxy design. Get the Pro version if you can for 128GB base storage, 6GB RAM and LiDar scanner for faster focus and portrait mode. Also consider, the price diff of Reg 6.1" iPhone 12 is almost approaching the Pro's prices. Kinda hard if you're working on a budget.

12. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Thanks for your inputs!

For battery, GSMarena lists the iPhone 7Plus as 2900 mAh vs iPhone 12 as 2200 mAh. Not sure how much Watt-hours the 12 series goes for though. I’m hoping that despite having a smaller battery, the 12 will match or exceed the 11Wh of the 7plus.

It won’t be my primary though. For anything which requires typing (like here), I use an old 10.5 pro. Due to the circumstances brought about by Covid, I’m usually at home so the only time I use the iPhone is when I’m in bed or if the iPad is charging. I do look forward to the day when we can go abroad with our family and di the usual tourist stuff.

Unfortunately, the Pro costs a bit too much already - even just for the base model. I guess it’s a 60-40 between the regular 12 vs 12 mini with price and battery the deciding factors.

13. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

Do any 12 / 12 mini owners experience that yellowing or flickering screen thing that’s being reported?

14. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

Heads up on the 12 mini:

"A number of iPhone 12 mini users are reporting issues with the touchscreen, with the smallest iPhone becoming unresponsive to touch input when it is inside a case and using a screen protector."

"Similar posts made to Reddit discussing the problem reveal even more people are affected than just those reporting in Apple's Support Communities. The relatively large number of complaints suggests it may not necessarily be a bad batch of iPhones, but could be an indicator of a wider-scale problem."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...h-issues-when-using-case-and-screen-protector

15. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

looks like same issue that i had years ago with the iPad Pro 11 inch. with a tempered glass screen protector the screen is unresponsive. when i changed to a flim type protector the screen is back to normal.

16. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Now that I've seen the iPhone 12 Mini in person (but not real close, and I didn't get to handle it), I'm changing my mind about getting it. The form factor seems like a throwback to the first iPhone SE.

Somehow, it didn't really attract me as I thought it would.

17. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

18. ivin

ivin Active Member

anyone rocking the 12mini? hows the battery life so far? considering this of the size and novelty factor hehe.coming from the 11pro :)

19. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

done preorder 12 mini via DW with freebies worth 10k