iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by yoh_hectic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. dendejr

dendejr Member

Does frequent charging lowers battery health?

Bought my Pro Max on release day here in PH and I monitored my battery health since then. XD
    99% last March
    98% last June
    97% a few weeks ago.
    96% today.

So, mine drops from 100% to 98% in a span of 8 months but drops another 2% in just 3 months. If this continues, not sure if I should be concerned.
    I never let my battery percentage below 20% before charging. I rarely even make my battery drop to 20% before charging (I do charge my phone if I see it drops around 40-50%). I also don't charge overnight and don't use my phone while charging.
    I got iPhone 7 Plus last 2016 and remembered seeing 83% on it last year before selling it and upgrading to Pro Max. So, that's 17% in 3 years.

Medyo paranoid lang guys. I just want my phone to last at least 3 years naman before buying a new one. :LOL:

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...should last you 3 years. In a head to head stress test, the iPhone 11 Pro Max lasted a class-leading 8 hours, 32 minutes. The test is continous multi-app usage from 100 to 0 percent. Assuming your 11 Pro Max ends up with 80% battery health, that means your unit should still last 6.5 hours continous use. So, that is still practically a day's use (normal usage), easy. Dont worry about it.

dendejr likes this.
  3. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Don’t worry too much about battery health. Mine is even at 89% and I only have my phone for 9 months. Frequent charging is actually better than charging when you’re battery is low. Just enjoy your phone and don’t look at battery health that much. Hehe.

denzzurcaled and dendejr like this.
  4. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

I do care/worry about my battery health. That's why I am doing the "right" charging behavior. Caring about your battery is a good practice as it add to the resale value of your phone and also if you plan to use it for a long time, you won't have any battery issues. Your 89% at 9 months is not good as Apple estimates that after 2 years of use, you should have at least 80% battery health.

Cheers!

5. Aargh

Well I said don’t worry too much and not don’t care at all. Everybody will have a different level of usage and will have different level of battery degradation. You can worry and care as much as you like and that is okay. It’s your phone anyway. My only take is, if you dwell too much on battery health it may affect how you enjoy your phone. I used to be like that on my previous phone. I keep on checking my battery level ensuring it’s between 20% to 80%. Then it was just too cumbersome and just decided to use my phone as I see most convenient for me. When I had my iPhone X it was a similar experience, first year my battery health went down to around 88%. Then when I was about to upgrade to a new one after two years it was still at 82%.

6. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

My 11 Pro Max is down to 88% and it’s almost a year old. Very unfair since my wife’s similar phone is still at 95%.

Paranoid me went into Apple Store and had the guy ran battery tests on it but it yielded normal results. He said it’s “within normal range” but definitely lower than most.

Unfortunately, since it’s still within range, they won’t do anything with it.

7. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

I don't worry too much. I just care for my battery, and by caring, it simply means I charge on every opportunity, and that doesn't affect how I enjoy my phone AT ALL. I don't do that 20%-80% crap.Never did since my iPhone 3G. I just charge whenever I can. With that practice, my XS Max turned 1 year old and it has 100%. My iPhone 11 is 6 months old, it also has 100%.

8. Aargh

That’s good for you. Unfortunately not everyone will have the capacity to charge their phone all the time as we all have different circumstances and different habits. My only point here is that, don’t go out of your way just for battery health. Use your phone as you would normally do and your battery health will be just fine. Now, if you really wanna maximize it and want to change your habit then it’s all up to you.

9. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Like I said, I don't charge my phone ALL the time. I said, charge WHENEVER I can. When I am at the office siting on my desk, inside the car, etc. That's the habit I am saying. I am not going out of my way just for battery health. That's the habit I am doing for so many years and I am just trying to help people here on how to take care of your battery. Just like any other thing, if you just use and use it without actually knowing what to do to prolong its life, it might not serve you long.

I am not a slave to the battery. I just suggested to charge WHENEVER you can. Its not going out of my way. 90% of the time, I am out in the field in my line of work and I just charge inside the car.

Also, I know its all up to me but the reason I posted this is to help people here who want to maximize their batteries by sharing my habit and experience. If you think you don't need to follow, it's all up to you.

10. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

My battery is at 92%, got the phone since launch in the Philippines.

This is also a BYOD phone if usage is a factor.

At first I was paranoid after 2 months 98% nalang. I got over it and just looking forward for the 2021 model

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I am beyond words with how OC you are with a smartphone that you'll change after 24 months.

Buyer who buys a used device wont be that OC. If they are then buy brand new.

12. asintado08

asintado08 New Member

Anyone here tried a Globe eSim on a Smart Locked iPhone? I know that Globe also locks the second sim of Android and iPhone to Globe only as well.

For android phones, smart leaves the second sim card slot unlocked. I need to know if this is the same case with iPhone esim. Our company decided to give iPhones instead of the usual Samsung phones. I need to use my personal postpaid globe number on the same phone.

13. prof_er

prof_er Well-Known Member

For iPhones, both physical and esim are locked to the network.

raypin and asintado08 like this.
  14. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

My iPhone 11 Pro Max was activated 11/27/2020. As of today it's 96%.

Is that better than normal?

15. raypin

mmm...about the same as mine. At 4 percent a year loss x 5 = 80% battery health at year 5. Still very respectable and nothing to worry about.

16. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

I am too OC for my own good.

Although I hope one day that the US CN and EU govt will impose user replaceable batteries. Good for the consumer but bad for Apple and Android's bottomline.

If the iPhone 4S can received iOS updates for 93 months then we should be able to swap batteries every 24 months.

17. raypin

mm...user replaceable battery like the phones of olden days BUT at the cost of water resistance. We ll be back to no waterproofing and oh I just drop my gdamn phone in the toilet and my urine soaked thousand dollar iPhone is DEAD.

Once you open the case, the seal is gone and putting more of that stuff will not make it water resistant. Or we can go back to the Nokia olden days when any user can open the case and put fresh batteries. But no water resistance. IP rating is ZERO.

Trade off is not acceptable to me.

18. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Agree or disagree?

jayparalejas likes this.
  19. raypin

Mmm...those worried about battery health deterioration (abnormal ), STOP using fast charging. Fast charging generates more heat and heat is public enemy no. 1 of battery health. Use your slow charger and charge in a cool place as often as practical. Keep you unit under 30 celsius while charging.

unknowngreats likes this.