iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by yoh_hectic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm, haven't even started to harness the other features of the 10 Max and now there's an 11?
    Netflix-Stranger-Things-Funny-Memes47.jpg

3. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple wants more money for your storage.

4. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Same here. And it seems that the processor power didn't leap as much as the jump from iPhone X to Xs.

What I want to know is what non-hardware dependent camera features will trickle down to the iPhone XS Max.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Charging times arent mentioned and this was written when 5W chargers were standard.

Months ago bloggers tested the other sized chargers and they noticed no difference beyond 18W charger

6. Kiddomike

Kiddomike Active Member

I still have all my music files stored locally and I use an external DAC when listening to music. So, the better battery life is great news! I assume it will only improve with next generation iPhones. Hooray for battery!

hitme64 likes this.
  7. yoh_hectic

The cameras app now displays full frame 35mm equivalent focal lengths in milimeter (mm)

52mm for 2x telephoto
    26mm for 1x standard
    13mm for 0.5x ultrawide

I wonder when they will offer 104mm for 4x

eag and hitme64 like this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^As a dweeb who knows nothing about cameras or photography, I am inclined to think beyond the iPhone 11’s newest set of cameras and instead focus on the more mundane aspects of this magical device. Like, why the hell is that notch still there? :mad:

I can see that the new cases for the 11 will feature more slits (slots?) at the back. Or will we now agree that going naked is the in thing? ;)

9. raypin

Mm...the notch still exist because Apple has not figured out how to shrink the camera and sensors responsible for the most secure biometrics recognition hardware/software on the planet (error rate is 1 is to 1,000,000). Latest is Apple is working on an under display face i.d. (Will shrink the notch without compromising security). Samsung and other Androids tried to copy face i.d. but failed. So, they retreated to touch i.d. equivalent (under display fingerprint) which is far less secure biometrics. Apple’s own touch i.d. has an error rate of 1 out of 50,000...meaning face i.d. is 20 times more secure than touch i.d.

The face i.d. on the iPhone 11 is improved: it allows the phone owner to activate face i.d. at a greater angle.

Personally, after iPhone X, Xs Max and iPad Pro 11 face i.d. has been a godsend. I ll never buy a phone without face i.d. And revert back to fingerprint biometrics.

#29 raypin, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    joethemobile01 and Pupkin like this.
  10. yoh_hectic

Security and privacy takes priority over reducing notch size.

If i was so bothered by it I would buy an Android with no notch.

11. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

Once you get to see the notchless screens of Xiaomi phones and see the iPhones again, the notch becomes an eye sore :)

jayparalejas and hitme64 like this.
  12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Many electronic devices put a voltage/current-limiter, typically a zener diode or equivalent, for safety reasons. It's the modern day equivalent of a fuse. But it is unlikely that Apple will publish "limitation" specs.

By now, we should know that Apple cares more about ease-of-use, safety, and privacy, more than "my d*ck (spec) is bigger than yours" brags that Android vendors tout as they race to zero margins. :D

Sheryl., bowser and raypin like this.
  13. Pupkin

Pupkin Active Member

I admit it, the new iPhone Pro’s doesn’t have new compelling feature to be worthy of the “pro” name. Even the base model starts with the 64gb memory OMG. But i dig it a lot specially the midnight green with matte glass back and the 3 big lenses..looking like a pro camera.

They should have added the promotion display. The PMuggers who own an iPad Pro will understand. Heheh!

Ghibli and jesusluison like this.
  14. Veeno

Veeno Member

Let’s go for the midnight green.

Dgame12345 likes this.
  15. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

originally used iPhone8+ 5.5” Screen .... then upgraded to the iPhoneX. But the screen size difference feels SMALLER ... I ended getting the XS Max ... Feels BETTER just like the iP8+ size with no home buttons...

16. raypin

Mm...per inquiry today AJT ghills will have it 20 or 21 Sept., same as US. No price yet. For official channels, maybe a few weeks after, around Oct.

I ve taken the box of my Xs Max out of the closet. Trade-in. Getting the green iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Most likely HK units will be sold first by the grey traders.

#36 raypin, Sep 11, 2019
    wewen17, Sunil_K, Veeno and 3 others like this.
  17. raypin

Mm...hands on:

18. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

The camera is what makes it a pro feature. Apple has considerably lagged behind its competitors in regards to the camera “quality” hence it’s playing catch up with its competitors (Huawei and Samsung). The Iphone 11 pro is just a boring phone imo. Doesn’t compel me to reach out to my wallet and shell out for it. The 2020 Iphone is where is at.

hitme64 likes this.
  19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Are you a creative professional? If so, tell us why the Pro features aren't good enough for your professional needs.

I was just interviewed by a professional Singaporean journalist. Apparently, he covers news (including HK protests) using his phone. In cases like that, iPhone 11 Pro's computation photography can deliver crisper, more professional-looking photos.

I occasionally get paid to shoot video. Granted it's not for movies, or TV; merely for commercial mobile and web consumption. But still, it's a "professional engagement". The feature that I can definitely put to use is the Pro's ability to seamlessly vary the focal length, between ultra-wide and telephoto, while recording video. Having a third lens would give the "Machine Learning" neural engine more data to render more computationally accurate videos. What would be ideal though—which will probably happen eventually—is if Apple publishes an API that would allow third parties to control that dynamic, "software zoom" capability. For instance, I would like to be able to use a third party remote control to push/pull the focal length remotely, without touching the iPhone screen.

So yes, the "Pro" is just a label, which can be endlessly debated. But ultimately, it's real pros who can gauge how the Pro serves their pro needs. :)

potpot2, jhonas015, Mykolant and 5 others like this.
  20. raypin

Mm...wala sa camera yan. Sa talent yan.

Me? Strictly amateur level. Dont really care much for cameras. Just good enough to take clear pics. Contento na ko.

I am more excited with Apple TV Plus and Apple Arcade. More stuff to entertain me.

So why am I getting the iPhone 11 Pro Max and dumping my Xs Max?

Same size screen. Better screen. Longer battery life. Faster face id. Faster processing. Stuff that really matters on a day to day. And because it makes sense financially to trade in my nearly mint Xs max, meaning I can still get good trade in value now vs. next year.

I m not too excited about 5G 2020 iPhone. It will take local telcos years before they can roll out a robust 5G infrastructure that will reach all corners of this country.

#40 raypin, Sep 11, 2019
    jhonas015 and hitme64 like this.