iPhone 11 Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by yoh_hectic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Anyone knows why the finish of the glass around the lenses is different from the rest of the back of the phones (matte finish)

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...pure aesthetic...to provide contrast. matte on back , shiny on glass housing and on the iPhone 11, shiny back, matte on lens housing,

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I am guessing that the materials are different. The lenses are held by a mold, which is probably polymer, not steel like the back material. Steel expands and contracts with heat and cold, respectively. The expansion and contraction are tiny, but plausibly enough to mess up something critical, such as the alignment and stability of the lenses, hence, the choice of a different material for the mold. Different material, different finish.

Apple is thoughtful in its designs, not always in aesthetics (which is subjective anyway), but in the design trade-offs—function, performance, cost, usability, safety, etc.

Android vendors are in the spec *bleeding* (and a few years ago, blowing up) edge because they are competing for a disloyal user base (HTC loyalty is 10%, whereas Apple's is 90%), so "anything helps". Integrating 5G in iPhone 11, for instance, would make some happy, while pissing off the majority who may wrongfully blame Apple for (poor 5G connection) what is truly a network coverage problem.

In short, Android vendors are fighting for peanuts (tiny percentage growth in market share), whereas Apple is into preserving its jewels—the satisfaction of its loyal base. That, of course, does not mean Apple has stopped innovating—only that their design decisions aren't about converting pagans. :p Apple won't change their philosophy just because other religions allow several wives. :D

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  4. raypin

Mm....yet another drop test:

5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Naturally, after the official release yesterday, there are a lot more review videos on YouTube now.

And this, I think, is one of the best phone camera comparison videos so far:

Glad the iPhone Pro won overall in the color accuracy and balance—which is what's most important for me.

Both great phones, both winners. There will just never be a feature that would make me switch. Good thing my religion allows for a #2. ;)

raypin likes this.
  6. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

In case anyone’s interested, looks like plenty of stocks for all Pro Max colours here in HK except midnight green, as expected. I tried the Fortress HK Intl Airport store and the neighbouring DG Lifestyle store and they don’t have any of the midnight green.

Heading towards the city now to check the Apple stores there. Thank goodness they close at 9PM. Hopefully I can still catch at least one store open.

raypin likes this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

What’s with midnight green anyway? :whistle: I’ve been wearing that same color early in my career and of late, and I actually wouldn’t want to wear that color again haha!

Guess the GH Brigade had their hands full today. No stocks available in V-Mall. ;) Must have been a sweaty day!

sandybridge_guy and raypin like this.
  8. Kleithxx

Kleithxx PhilMUG Addict Member

My favorite reviewer finally released his review!! iPhone wins hands down! So excited to get mine!

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For those who want others to be “green with envy”? ;)

Been there, done that. Remember iPhone gold diggers? :D

Personally, I only buy dark colors now to: minimize phone reflections when taking photos thru windows; minimize perception of borders when watching media; and easier to resell/hand down neutral colors.

Besides, quota na ako sa green mind. ;)

10. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Oops. Protest soon.

11. buknit

buknit New Member

I just got my iPhone 11 Pro Max Space Gray 256 gig yesterday.... Upgraded from iPhone 7

[​IMG]

#271 buknit, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Sheryl., Veeno, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  12. buknit

buknit New Member

Night mode test shot without flash :)

[​IMG]

iamtonypet, Veeno, Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  13. jetan

14. deucejunkie

I wasn’t sure why I initially wanted midnight green but the lack of stock made it so much easier to decide lol.

I’m a little lost with the dual sim implementation, specifically sending SMS. Say I already have an existing SMS thread for one of my contacts using line 1. Now I’m wanting to send an SMS to said contact using line 2 but I can’t seem to figure out how. It’s always going back to the existing SMS thread. I thought it was gonna start a new thread? Or can you use either line in the same thread?

15. raypin

Mm...search the Xs Max thread for answers to the mystery of iPhones dual sim for SMS messages.

But the short answer is you can't switch lines for an existing SMS messaging thread UNLESS you try and fail to send a message (due to poor or no signal), then iPhone gives you 3 choices: try again, cancel or send the SMS with your other line.

Me? After 1 year of using dual nano iPhone.....I just let the iPhone do its thing. The important thing is my messages go through unstopped by "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night." The United States Postal Service :LOL:.

#275 raypin, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    deucejunkie likes this.
  16. deucejunkie

If anyone else aside would like me to buy a dual nano unit for them, happy to do so for you for a song. I’m here until 6PM tonight. Just loitering around the airport till my flight. my bank account balance can handle one more phone, I think.

17. raypin

Mm...yup. Fun ad...

Qin Zhi likes this.
  18. jetan

Closed as of last night

19. jetan

You just need to hold the send button until sim 2 shows up.

20. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

31E371E5-CEBD-4651-9650-AD9EF273F0AC.jpeg

Wide Night Shot from my Pro Max

raypin and potpot2 like this.