iPad warranty in the Philippines before its official local launch

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by coachjojoc, Apr 22, 2010.

1. coachjojoc

coachjojoc New Member

Hi, all.

Am seriously considering purchasing a 64g iPad unit from the gray/black market sector in Manila.

As far as I Know, All Apple products come with a 1-year warranty.

Q1: Will said warranty be in effect with the iPad that I will purchase in Manila?

Q2: I am also toying with the idea of buying the $99 Apple Care for iPad warranty at Apple's US online store. Will tis be of help?

Will any of the two (or both) solve my iPad warranty woes? Any other suggestions?

By the way, the seller insists that his store is giving a 1-year warranty with said iPad.

Thank you all.

2. berniej

berniej Active Member

Re: iPad warranty woes

Unsolicited Advice: wait for the local release and buy from a local *authorized* Apple reseller. This will earn you a relationship with whichever reseller you buy from and as an added bonus, you have the peace of mind that whatever happens to your iPad, you can simply go to any local authorized retailer to claim warranty. That's precisely what I plan to do despite an offer from a nephew to buy a unit for me at the U.S.

3. rdelrio

rdelrio Member

i think even if you buy it abroad, as long as you have the receipt, the service center here can still accept your unit, just like other Apple products

4. coachjojoc

coachjojoc New Member

Reply much appreciated.

But it looks like the iPad will not be available in the near future with the exception of Japan & Australia in our Asia / Pacific sphere.

BTW, the seller is a reputable store selling Apple units and accessories.

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

Until the iPad is available here, you won't be able to claim any warranty from the local ASP.

6. quasar

quasar Active Member

A compelling reason to wait for the official local release.

7. coachjojoc

coachjojoc New Member

BTW, the seller is a reputable store selling Apple products

8. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

But are they authorized to sell apple products?

9. Tecson

Tecson Member

why not ask them if they would offer?

10. coachjojoc

coachjojoc New Member

Yup.

Baka sideline lang ito ng owner.

Honestly, do you think the iPad is ever going to be officially released here?

The 3G maybe, but it could also go the way of the 1st gen iPhone (we had to wait a whole year before we had an official iPhone release).

11. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

its a risk that you would take if you would push through, specially if something wrong happens, no local warranty indeed.

12. RC

RC Active Member

Call the 1-800 number for Apple if you have problems with your iPad...
    Or go to the local reseller and they should be able to arrange warranty for your unit.

I don't know why people here are claiming that one can't claim warranty until the official launch...

It's an Apple Product not even a couple of months old....you won't even need a receipt since it's relatively brand new...

The main downside is that you'll wait quite awhile before getting it replaced/repaired because it is not officially available locally!

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Considering that Apple has not officially released the iPad here yet, I do not think you will get any warranty coverage outside the US. On top of that, no local staff has been trained yet by Apple to fix an iPad. By importing one here you are indeed taking a risk.

The iPhone was a special case. Apple made it a priority to partner with local telcos to support the iPhone that is why it took them so long to officially release it not only locally but in many parts of the world.

14. coachjojoc

coachjojoc New Member

So I would be in the same boat with all you guys/gals who currently are in possession of an iPad in the Philippines.

Like playing Russian roulette...just hope and pray that the iPad you own is not a lemon.

I just remembered: I know of somebody at Apple Singapore. I dealt with her some years back regarding my Airport Express. Maybe I can get something from her and report back to you all.

I may be wrong but I believe Apple Singapore is the company's main Asia distribution center.

15. RC

RC Active Member

Repair and warranty are two very different things!

If you have an iPad read the Paperwork that came with the device.

Even the Apple people in Apple Stores in the USA has not been trained to fix an iPad yet!....because the product has relatively been just released!

Warranty or more appropriately....the policy right now is "Replace the iPad" if found to be defective/lemon.

16. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Just read the Apple - Support - iPad - Service FAQs page.
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/faq/

Curiously, this was there. I wonder what Apple will actually do. "May" gives them a lot of leeway.

Compare this to the same question on the iPhone Service FAQs page:
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/

So they may go the iPhone route or they may not. Or will it be a case by case basis (like checking the date of distribution to the retailer?)

Which proves Salaryman Ryan's point that by importing one, you're taking a risk. In order to get it replaced, you'll have to either go back to or ship it back to the States. The risk is you'll have to go through the hassle and wait yet again, compared to just dropping by DH to get it replaced.

17. RC

RC Active Member

Sorry but your quoting Apple's FAQ page proves that i'm right and you and everybody else wrong!

Unless Apple changes iPads Warranties or whatnot to match that of the iPhone

The iPad is not an iPhone.

You might have meant that not having the iPad locally...that the risk is, one will not get a replacement/warranty/service as fast as if it had been launched already...

Oh and just in case somebody chimes in about the iPad 3G... it has not been released yet so it doesn't fit on the table.

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

RC, before I posted my reply, I called AppleCare Philippines. The answer was simple--the iPad is not supported yet outside of the US. Still think I'm wrong?

19. savadious

savadious Active Member

I think that only when the product is introduced locally will Apple be able to train local service centers and provide them with tools for repair.

Maybe equal to going back in time and asking a 1980 repair shop to service your MacBook Pro :cool:

Just my guess....

20. kilter2

kilter2 Member

I bought my iPad from a local authorized apple reseller here in bacolod. It's true, the iPad is only available in the US and maybe the owner is just selling some units for extra income. I really don't mind at all, If anything goes wrong with my iPad, at least he will be the one to return and claim the warranty in the US.