iPad vs. netbook

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by judoka03g, Jan 28, 2010.

1. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

I have a dilemma. Ive had a macbook for the longest time. Pero sold it na. I then planned on buying an hpmini netbook which i'll use for surfing, typing documents, organizing and slight photo editing on iphoto, and watching the occasional movie. i got a good deal too, hp mini 110 w free external dvd drive @ 20.Then the iPad rumors came along and i decided to wait and see what apple had to offer.

So currently i am computer-less, (except for my wife's aspireOne which i can use, sometimes) and have been losing sleep, thinking about what i should pick...

An iPad or a netbook?

2. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Definitely you can't do iPhoto editing on an HP Mini as iPhoto is exclusive to Macs and Apple, so an iPad will fit your needs if you're going to be strict as those you stated and won't do anything else on it. But personally, I think it's very hard to rely on an iPad ALONE if you don't have any other computer. You can't store too much on it, you can't install softwares for Macs/PCs, it doesn't have flash support yet, its printing capabilities are still in question, etc...

3. tyronne17

tyronne17 Member

IMO, netbook still does a better job in computing. iPad doesn't have the necessary support like flash and other important parts like photo/video editing. This is marketed towards the eBook community and will compete directly against the Kindle or Nook. So if your main purpose if for computing, get a netbook which is more worth the money.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

You guys actually edit videos on netbooks?!! I'm having already a difficult time using Photoshop on my hackintosh netbook as it is...

@judoka03g

I personally think you should wait and see first if the iPad can be a viable replacement for a netbook. With iWorks, and the option to dock a keyboard then I think you won't have any problem but it is better to wait for reviews of iWorks on iPad to surface before making your decision. (If you can wait for at least 3 months, that is)

Also if you buy a Mini then you will be stuck with Windows (you can't use iLife programs like iPhoto), unless you install OSX on it which is a gray area.

#4 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Functionwise, i think a netbook will give you more bang for the buck as compared to the iPad. I was personally holding off purchasing a netbook till the apple event. Now after checking it out, I've ordered a netbook (MSI wind 230).

6. ekonomista

ekonomista Member

yeap the iPad is a lovely gadget but for computing, multitasking, photoediting, and word processing, definitely netbook. but if you're for ebook reading, emailing, and movie watching only, iPad is ok.

7. dude_funk

dude_funk Member

Word Processing = Pages

iPad runs a specific version of iWork :)

Photo and video editing capability is probably just a question of when developers make one for iPad.

The Apple A4 processor is 1 GHz (= Intel Atom)

8. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Dude, just because it's the same speed doesn't mean it's the same processor.
    Might be better, might be worse.
    But if it's on par with the Atom, video editing is prob not possible.

9. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

wait muna, ipad looks good pa rin!

10. PowerPee

PowerPee Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see what the ipad can do... but as of the moment I am still in favor of the netbook because of the more flexible features you can use... unless the next gen ipad will offer more... =D

11. JaD

JaD Member

the fact that the iPad doesn't support Flash, it's still a no deal for me.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

people choose netbooks. the ipad chooses people. when you're ready, you'll know. ;)

13. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

get the netbook now and the iPad a few months later... the iPad is very good at what it does but its still "limiting" in my book, so better get both if i were you :)

btw, here's an article about the advantages of a netbook over the iPad, at least for now...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10443246-1.html

14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

this is like choosing between a bmw, which looks great but you don't really need for now, and a toyota, which is good and which you can very well use now...

what does that say now?

15. splukutum

splukutum Active Member

re: watching movies

it depends on the file format of the video files. if it comes in the video file format supported by the iPad, then choose the former. if not, choose the netbook Provided it's capable of running it flawlessly.

16. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Don't the Atom variants typically used in netbooks run at 1.6/1.8GHz?

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

people who compare the ipad to netbooks do not get it.

like i said, if you have qualms about the ipad, then you are not the target market.

a girl who rejects you doesn't make her bad; you are just not her type! :rolleyes: move on!

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Guys, remember the megahertz myth? We can't really measure the power of the A4 to the Atom by simply comparing the clock speed of their CPU. :)

19. twonavels

twonavels Member

agree. It's so Avatar, noh? It'll call you and when you're together you'll know if you're for each other. :p

20. twonavels

twonavels Member

Nga pala, aren't we supposed to compare Netbooks vs Macbook Air and Kindle vs iPad? Sure ang price magkaiba.