iPad vs Amazon Kindle vs Sony Reader

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by dakilang_waiter, Jan 28, 2010.

1. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

The launching of the iPad led me to see what's posted and said about it online. And it actually led me to discover more about the these other e-book reader products and their good points.

Most muggers are saying the iPad, for now, is not a netbook killer but definitely a Kindle killer. Apparently, e-book readers are saying they're sticking with the Kindle due to its cheaper price and the e-ink technology is better on the eyes (funny comment: iPad's full LED color display will burn your eyes out).

And then one comment commented on how Americans have it all backwards with the Kindle because Sony is pwning Europe with its nicer Reader and availability of Google's database of millions of free public e-books.

Basically, the iPad launching is making me think of buying a Kindle or Reader. Haha!

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I was lucky enough to have a friend lend me her Kindle DX and its really a nice ebook reader. I had it for a week and never needed to charge it! Not only that, I'm impressed on how easy the eink screen is on the eyes. I usually get tried reading ebooks on my iPhone but I never felt tired reading on the Kindle for many hours. But sadly this is its only saving grace the iPad is so much more. My only complaint probably is the relatively short battery life.

3. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

The thing is, I don't think the iPad was built mainly as an e-book reader, unlike the Kindle and Reader, etc.

The iPad is your iPod Touch on steroids. You can touch your music and videos, play games, "have the internet in your hands", be productive on the side, etc... with the iBooks function as an added feature.

It's the reverse for the Kindle. It's primarily an e-book reader, with (limited) internet connectivity as an added feature.

In my opinion, the iPad is not a netbook-killer and neither is it a Kindle-killer. It's a different "apple" (pun intended) that Steve Jobs is creating a new demand for. ;)

4. aNthraxx

aNthraxx Member

i dont think it would kill the Kindle, reading alone on the iPad will be too tiring to the eyes.

this is a "fun" mutimedia device with cherries on top which as johannes have said iphone on steriods.. :)

oh btw..nothing beats a real book.. :p

5. MX3

MX3 Member

Except the Kindle. ;)

To add to what's already been said, the Kindle is a device that was made for a very specific purpose, i.e., a substitute for physical books. For that purpose, the Kindle performs exceedingly well.

On the other hand, and obviously, the iPad was made for so many other things. So, as an ebook reader, I don't think the iPad can hold a candle to the Kindle.

6. Bem

Bem Member

I said this in the iPad thread also... The iPad is not really an e-reader. It can read books, but it doesn't have that e-ink which is the reason you would get a dedicated e-reader (easy to read, not hard on the eyes, lalala). The ebook reading thing is just an extra I think. I can read ebooks or comics on my iPod, PSP and DS too. :p

I think if you'd want a device that can do media, etc and still read ebooks on the side, that's the iPad for you. Pretty cool, but not a Kindle killer or netbook killer like johannes said. :)

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Haha, if people today play and work on the computer hours on end then reading on a tablet for many hours won't really bother them. But I do agree that the Kindle is so much nicer on the eyes.

As a person who grew up in libraries, I partly agree with you but you can't deny how wonderful it is to be able to have your whole collection of books in one thin reading device. In my case my current collection is about 1,850 books (a third of them coffee table books :p) and that is just too much to carry around anywhere. I would love all of them to fit in my folio so that I can take them anywhere I go around the world. :)

8. AlexG

AlexG Member

The Ipad would be perfect in what the Kindle can't reasonable do: for digital comic books - with all its vibrant colors!

9. trevayneski

trevayneski Member

I'll be selling my Kindle anytime soon in exchange for the iPad. The Kindle is a great reading device but lacks an important feature - colored display. Hence, it is a big letdown when trying to read newspapers, magazines and PDFs.
    The iPad is such a versatile gadget that can easily handle all of these with a much bigger screen than an iPhone and lighter to carry around than a laptop. The so-called "eye strain" is not that much of a factor for me. My eyes also get tired pretty easily when I switch on my Kindle's clip-on light when using it at night.
    The Kindle has served me well. But up until someone develops colored e-ink technology and a solid online bookstore to back it up, the iPad will be my reading device by April.

#9 trevayneski, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

I don't read that much. I spend too much time browsing engadget,facebook,philmug,gizmodo,appleinsider, etc. Plus games, and be entertained by music, videos, youtube and pictures and one more thing the "AppStore". So iPad would be the best not only for E-Books but useful mobile features of it. Also, a reasonable pricing tag by Apple. So iPad is a great choice.

11. rsa

rsa Member

According to tuaw, the ibooks could be US only at launch. I'm afraid we might be subject to the same restrictions as the itunes US store.

12. trevayneski

trevayneski Member

13. drknight888

drknight888 Active Member

i will choose iPad... i had kindle for a time but i would really prefer a colored e-reader.

14. Bem

Bem Member

If you don't really need it atm hold out for colored e-ink! :D

15. drknight888

drknight888 Active Member

i don't think e-reader will go for colored versions because of the limitations in battery power. e-reader supposedly can be on for days.

16. YESHUA

YESHUA Member

I almost bought a Kindle but when I borrowed my cousin's unit, the first thing I noticed is its slow response. But if you intend to read for more than 2 hours, this is the best unit for the job.

I also checked out the Sony Reader but for the overpriced considering the design looks old tech.

I'll go for ipad because of its flexibility, local support and aesthetics.

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Oh, I don't agree with this. I find my experience of reading on a Kindle better than reading a book!

In fact, I have the SAME BOOK (Made to Stick by Dan & Chip Heath) both in real edition and Kindle edition. The Kindle is lighter and handier than the real book, with no need to use both hands to open it, it remembers where I am and I can write down notes (I don't like writing on books). I find that I read faster on the Kindle... you have no idea how page turning delays your reading.

Have you actually tried a Kindle? You might be surprised.

Leo

18. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You summed up my sentiments exactly re: reading on a physical book vs. Kindle.

19. iCurePC

iCurePC Guest

Steve Jobs said it.. it's Apple "new Creation".. but i see it as a large iPod TOuch..

well.. i will need to wait for the second gen of the iPad.. hoping there'll be built in iSight, usb port, multi-tasking programs, and higher capacity drive..

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

let's recap this thread. first of all, this thread is obviously about e-readers. it would be unfair to judge the kindle and sony reader for features it wasn't designed for; one can only reasonably argue about readable content. talk of movies and music only make sense in the value context.

if you want to stretch the discussion and argue about the merit of paper books vis-a-vis e-books, i suggest you plant a tree first. :D paper books' only arguable qualities are subjective--"feel", nostalgic/aesthetic value, and shareability. in other practical and measurable qualities--legibility, convenience, price, etc.--ebooks win.

and to diss e-readers without actually owning one, well, makes you sound like all the other ipad ranters. :D

in a nutshell, e-ink (kindle, sony) wins for long, passive (not too interactive) reading, especially for bright outdoor reading. for magazines, comics, photo-filled books, interactive reads, ipad wins.

i have the kindle. i will get an ipad, but will likely keep my kindle. if i could only bring one, i would bring the ipad.

regardless, we're all winners in a competitive market. work hard, so you can buy more and rant less. :D

#20 rbenzon, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010