iPad Temperature Warning

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by empty, Apr 26, 2010.

1. empty

empty Active Member

I ran into my first temperature warning today. My iPad sat on the backseat of my parked car for 4 hours this morning. The iPad was in a leather case and the car was parked in direct sunlight. When I took it out of the car half of the ipad was in diect sunlight. I fully expected to get the temperature warning. In fact I was quite excited to see it. :cool:

When I pressed the sleep/wake button I was greeted with this:

[​IMG]

I did not have my IR thermometer with me so I wasn't able to take a reading. The iPad was certainly hot to touch but not too hot that you could not hold the bare aluminum. 5 minutes in my air conditioned office was enough for it to become useable again

Apparently the ipad does not shut down when in this mode. I was able to take a screen capture while the warning was on and when the unit had cooled down it woke up from sleep rather than restarted from the apple logo.

There have been reports of iPads overheating even in moderate conditions, in some cases requiring an hour to cool down. My experience today was quite reasonable compared to those complaining to Apple.

Anyone else get the warning?

TUAW report on overheating iPads:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/06/like-ipad-blistering-in-the-sun-temperature-issues-reported/

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Pushing the envelope, eh Mark?

3. empty

empty Active Member

I must admit that I realized early on that I left it in the car but allowed it to bake for a while. ;)

4. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

5. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

This thread reminded me of those poor iPhones with wifi issues being put directly inside the fridge to cool down it's wifi radio. Hoping our iPads won't suffer the same consequences with those iPhones..but who knows...:rolleyes: