iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johannes, Sep 10, 2015.

1. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

Hey Charlie. Please save a Pencil for me too! Johannes, when i saw the breakdown of the Pencil on iFixit, it showed one of the densest and most compact mainboard i have ever seen. It may really just be very difficult to scale

Sunil_K likes this.
  2. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie, sent a pm as well. Pls reserve a pencil for me too.

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally got my iPad Pro from BTB. Its a huge upgrade for me since I'm upgrading from my busted up but still miraculously working iPad 2 that I bought back in 2011. See the cracks? Every thing still works perfectly though, which surprised me. My cousin borrowed my iPad 2 and dropped it on the marble floor.

Anyway, the iPad Pro is a very very nice piece of kit. The screen is so crisp and huge, haha. My photos on Flickr looked as gorgeous as my 5k Retina iMac! Quite lighter than what I expected, I think its almost as light as my old iPad! Tried my usual apps like Pages, Evernote, and games like Hearthstone. I could feel the difference in the UI alone, everything moves so smoothly at least compared to my old iPad. Still waiting for my Apple Pencil though, hopefully I got a reservation from Charlie.

[​IMG]

4. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Guys replied na ah =) the others I haven't replied to yet please give me a til tomorrow. Trying to arrange stocks for you =)

ian_gabinete likes this.
  5. number001

number001 Active Member

Curious about the new resolution on the pro. Will apps needs updating in order to take advantage of the added pixels? A similar occurence happened when the iPad 3 retina was released three years ago.

PS: Currently using an iPad 3.

6. rotawheelswrx

rotawheelswrx Member

Got the reply, When do we pick up? Thanks for helping us out. Great service from BTB. Actually, was just at BTB Rockwell 1 for some iPhone stuff yesterday :)

7. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

Got a reply and will be getting my pencil tomorrow at Century Mall. Yeeehaaaa!

8. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

To tide us over while we wait for the Pencil, here's an interesting article on why it's called the Apple Pencil:

In an interview with Wallpaper Magazine, Ive said that the Pencil wasn't meant to replace the finger.

Ive also explained that they eventually went with "Pencil" instead of "stylus" to "avoid the idea of the utensil as another tech gadget, and more to evoke an abstract idea to match the possibilities of the Pencil."

“Pencil, to me, seems very analogue in its association,” Ive said. “But what is challenging is that it will become many things. There’s an incredible painting app and very powerful drawing apps. For some people it will be a graphic instrument and to others it will be a fountain pen.”

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/jony-ive-apple-pencil-discussion/

9. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

Hoping to get my Pencil on Thursday just in time for Christmas (for me)!

10. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

And Jon said, a "fountain pen". Woohoo!

johannes likes this.
  11. Salaryman Ryan

That seems to be the case. Apps that are not updated yet exibit a very slight softness in the graphics and UI elements, fortunately, you only notice it if you actively look for it. The difference is not as drastic as the jump to retina though. Function wise I haven't experienced any issues yet. So far so good.

johannes likes this.
  12. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

I've already encountered app updates that stated "Optimized for iPad Pro" so, yes, apps will most likely need updating. Nevertheless, I've installed apps that didn't have this update and yet they work fine and I don't see any glaring graphics deficiencies. As Ryan said, you'll have to actively look for them.

I've only seen a handful of apps that proceeded with said update. Such apps included Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Paper by 53, and other apps that had airtime during the iPad Pro reveal. A lot of apps are still on standby mode, even those that are ideal for the iPad Pro, because their developers are still uncertain of the iPad Pro's market share.

I knew you'd like that! ;)

13. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Merry Christmas! :)

Got it from BTB Century this morning.

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Included accessories:
    - a connector in case you want to charge the Pencil using your iPad's/iPhone's charger
    - a spare tip

14. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

And One More Thing...

IMG_0337.JPG

jhonas015, jesusluison and Sunil_K like this.
  15. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 12.52.04 PM.jpg

Thank you, Charlie and Beyond the Box Century! :)

16. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

@johannes How's the feel of the keys? Does the non-metal, non-plastic surface of the keys look like it will bear long-term use?

Why is the Command key printed with a Windows sign? (Haha, I made you look!)

#196 Chito Limson, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  17. rotawheelswrx

rotawheelswrx Member

Thanks Charlie, Got the pencil this morning. Was there at around 10:30 and someone before me was also picking up his pencil. You on here?

18. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

The fabric covering the keys reminds me of the kind they use on umbrellas or some luggages. You could probably spill liquid on this and it would be fine but, of course, I'm not that adventurous. :)

Will it bear long-term use? Looks like it, unless you really abuse it. For someone as OC as I am, I'd have to do something deliberate to damage this. What could spell disaster is if the seams along the edges fail.

Does typing on it feel normal? Yes. I'm typing this post using the iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard and it feels good! The keys are responsive. They're spaced just right. And it's like I'm typing on my Mac. My only beef? It's not backlit and there's no Caps Lock indicator light. Should you wish to find out if Caps Lock is enabled, you'll have to refer to the word suggestions/auto-correct options. If Caps Lock is on, the suggested words will be in all caps.

hitme64 likes this.
  19. Salaryman Ryan

Thank you Charlie, Danica, and staff for their wonderful service! I finally got my Apple Pencil! Bought a copy of Procreate from the App store and started doing some sketching by drawing a cartoon version of my friend. Its been years I have drawn though so forgive my amature skills, I guess I need brush up on my sketching again haha.

[​IMG]

Here are my initial impressions of the Apple pencil so far.

1) Back in the day, I used to have a Wacom Intuos tablet and it has a huge stylus which is thick and grippy so I thought I would not like the thinner AP as much as the Wacom but I was wrong. It feels really nice, just like a regular pencil but a little more weighty which gives it a very solid feel. Like a highend fountain pen. I really like it. I thought it would be slippery but it was very easy to grip.

2) Sketching is very easy, unlike the Cintiq tablet I tried before, the AP seem to have no parallax (the point of the pencil is closer to the lines) so it feels a little bit more natural than the Wacom I have used before.

3) There are folks out there who are claiming that they felt some texture when they use the AP on the Pro. I felt some of it, in different angles the plastic/rubber rubber tip would rub against the screen giving a slight sensation of grit. Sometimes the AP would just simply glide around smoothly on the iPad Pro's screen, like you are drawing on well...glass. Feel wise I really like the paperlike texture of the Wacom tablet and cintiq over the very smooth feel of iPad pro. Maybe a third party can offer a screen protector that feels like paper in the future. :)

4) It was super easy to set it up. Just plug it to the iPad's lighting port and its paired! No calibration needed like in the Wacom Cintiq.

The AP and iPad Pro ticks all the right boxes for me. Since I was a teenager I always wanted a portable digital sketch pad for my doodling and I finally got it. This Christmas, I feel like a twelve year old again. Haha

#199 Salaryman Ryan, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  20. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

On my way to Century Mall to pick up my Pencil. I hope they're open.