iPad MiFi (Verizon MiFi Conversion)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by kentamayo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

[​IMG]

I love what this guy did with his iPad 3G, he was enterprising enough to rip the thing apart and stick a Verizon MiFi card into his iPad, he does state that this will definitely void your warranty, but what you get in return is an iPad that can double as a WiFi hotspot in a pickle.

The only hangup was that the MiFi's green LED shone through the screen, but it was also easily remedied.

More after the Jump

2. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow. Could have been easier to just JB it and install MyWi.

3. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

True, but over there, apparently Verizon's EVDO network is better than AT&T's 3G network, plus methinks it's more of an "I can do this, just because I can" kind of things

4. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I wonder how bad the EVDO card affected the iPad's battery life.

5. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Apparently the MiFi uses the same voltage battery as the iPad (3.7V) plus he installed a switch where the SIM slot used to be, so he can turn it off on demand

6. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Yes but the battery will surely take a hit when the MiFi is on.

7. carloople

carloople Member

Yup, the battery life will definitely go down. Props for being innovative though!