iPad for Navigation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by louiebeton, Jun 1, 2021.

1. louiebeton

louiebeton New Member

Hi PhilMUG.

I've been considering buying an iPad Air 2020. Apart from my daily use of notes in the office, media consumption, etc., I was considering using the iPad as a navigation device in my car.

That said, I've been reading online that the WiFi model does not have GPS therefore the GPS would not be accurate. 'Course, I'd like to get feedback from users from the Philippines. Is it really that major of a difference, say when using Waze tethered to my iPhone? Is it really much more worth it to spring for the Cellular model in this use case?

TIA.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

the Wi-Fi iPad will use the iPhone's GPS for Navigation... So it should be ok

However, I once used a Nexus 7 (it had GPS) for my car's navigation and you will either block a significant part of the windshield (presently no longer allowed thanks to R.A. No. 10913) or a significant part of your A/C controls.

I would suggest you just replace your car's head unit.

louiebeton likes this.
  3. louiebeton

louiebeton New Member

Thanks for your comment on this, @ice. This gives me piece of mind that the WiFi Model is okay.

Was planning to use the iPad for other things as well, mostly for work so that's why I was thinking the double purpose.

Luckily my car's dashboard has blank space on top of the current headunit to mount it there. So should be compliant with the RA. Don't want to upgrade the headunit for the same price for less features, but that's just me. Plus, Car audio stores told me the steering wheel controls won't work with the new headunit so why spend more for less. LOL

Enough about my ramble, thanks again! :)

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

This would be an interesting project. How do you plan to mount the iPad on the dash? The last thing you want is to have the iPad fall off its perch, damaging it... or worse, cause an accident.

louiebeton likes this.
  5. ice

I did a quick search on this last night and saw posts about Apple Map's turn by turn navigation will not work on a Wi-Fi only iPad

some posts strongly recommends using a cellular iPad

I'm personally not sure how Apple restricted the Wi-Fi only iPad for navigation, but better to borrow an iPad from a friend to test it out before you finalize your purchase.

louiebeton likes this.
  6. louiebeton

louiebeton New Member

@oj88 I'm hoping to use some mounting points based on feedback I saw on YouTube. Probably some magnets among other things. I'll make sure to take photos once the project is completed.

@ice That's what I read too on Apple Maps. I'll try asking feedback from friends with iPads and see how their WiFi models function. I'll be using Waze over Apple Maps anyway so I hope it's isolated to Apple Maps.

potpot2 likes this.
  7. louiebeton

louiebeton New Member

Here's a quick update. A friend of mine tried using her iPad (WiFi Only) with Waze. Though it doesn't give you the exact GPS location, and we haven't tried turn-by-turn navigation much yet.

I got myself the iPad Air 4 WiFi only as well. I'm still waiting on the proper mounts and casing but here's the positioning on my dashboard. I'll post for any further updates.

[​IMG]

8. ice

I think we have the same car...

Now I'm upset that I can't change the head-unit as the steering controls wont work** (spent 35K 2 years ago to have the HU upgraded)

I can't do the similar set-up as the iPad/Phone will block my reverse cam.

**this is crazy disappointing... there are shops in Singapore who can replace the Fit/Grace's head-unit with a 10inch display that's compatible with Android Auto and Carplay.

9. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

@ice What's your Headunit? There should be an adapter that makes all the steering controls work. I've had my Subaru changed last 2014 to Pioneer's HU AVH 5800bt. they had an adapter put in to make my steering controls work. Everything works fine. I spent 30k+ on the HU as well, among other things in the car. haha. A reputable car audio shop would be able to do it. My installer is Mickey's Autosound.

@louiebeton Good luck with your iPad for navigation in the car. It's kinda dangerous but hopefully, the magnets and the mount would be able to hold the iPad air. Even iPhones secured by mounts have a very slim chance of flying out of the mount even the ones attached by magnet if you encounter a pothole big enough and at speed.

10. ice

Dealership upgraded my HU, still the same AVT used by Honda.

Hopefully, wife approves my request to have it replaced with a HU that has phone connectivity.

11. oj88

^ I had to use an iDatalink Maestro Steering Wheel universal controller so that the steering wheel remote control would match my Kenwood 2DIN.

It lets you program it on the web to match the physical buttons to a specific action to work the 2DIN. It also enables long-presses to trigger a 2nd action for each physical button.

[​IMG]

----
    BTT.

I really would've gotten a GPS-equipped iPad if turn-by-turn navigation is going to be one of it's primary purpose. I don't have an iPhone so I can't comment on its capability to use the iPhone's GPS once they're linked up. Still, it would've been better to have the GPS built-in so it won't be 100% dependent on the iPhone. You can, for example, pre-download the map data and use offline navigation apps so even if there's no hotspot or if 4G/5G is spotty, the iPad retains its basic nav functionality with accurate positioning.

12. ice

IMO... GPS vs Waze/Google & Apple Maps

Stand alone GPS - for long drives

And, there are times when Waze will just ask you to go around the city to avoid traffic, even if it means your doubling the distance of your trip. Yes you can select other options, but there are times when all 3 suggestions of Waze are really bad.

potpot2 likes this.
  13. oj88

My 2DIN has a Garmin GPS module (KNA-G431) so that's my fallback if Wyze gives up on me on the road. I also have an offline GPS app on the phone, Sygic, my fallback when I'm abroad without an internet connection.

The problem with standalone GPS receivers is that they're not updated as often. I'm lucky that I'm still getting crowd-sourced map updates from RoadGuidePh for my Kenwood/Garmin nav but then, update cycles typically are very far in between. So for 99% of driving, Wyze gets me to where I need to go.

14. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Wow. That sucks. Yeah, hopefully, your wife approves the HU. there are tons of nicer HU available in the market. Just go for the good installers as they have a lot of choices for the headunits. The new ones are all digital - no more DVD drives - just pure screen. You'll be spoiled for choices with Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc.

15. ice

I've learned to live with it... sometimes I only enter a street name or the nearest landmark...

Biggest issue I have with Honda's AVT HU, music will turn-off when using the reverse camera or when the GPS talks. It also asks you to be careful when passing intersections and pedestrian crossings.

I have a plan A, B and C to convince her on having it replaced.

16. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

There’s a USB dongle that you can buy which enables Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to most Android HU. Works fine my 2018 Innova’s HU. Only downside is it doesn’t work with the steering wheel controls.

17. oj88

Not just Honda. I believe Hyindai, among others, also use AVT as their in-house ICE upgrade.

Personally, AVT is bordeline scam... They're just a notch better than the stock radio but they cost almost as much as a proper Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine aftermarket unit. All that, so you can keep the car's warranty, which is the idea they're selling their customers.

louiebeton likes this.
  18. louiebeton

louiebeton New Member

@ice Yeah, I have the Honda Jazz/Fit, but I got the entry level model so there's no reverse camera available. I have the basic Garmin Headunit with just regular functions and Bluetooth. I was going to get Pioneer with CarPlay for it but I was told by the installer that they could only get 50% of the steering wheel controls working. Why would I play 30k++ to get it replaced with *less* functions.
    @Quest4dgoodlife Hoping for the best too. I'm looking for proper casing and magnet mounts at the moment; I ordered basic stuff for now but hoping to upgrade the solution in case the project is a success. Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

@oj88 Honestly, I completely agree with this. My old Mitsubishi had AVT for it's headunit and it was horrendous. This is why I considered Pioneer but the installer told me about the issue on the Steering wheel controls. That's why I decided to go the iPad route. I really do hope it was the right route to take. Though right now I'm using my iPad for other things (notetaking, binge-watching) so that in itself as already paid for the device. LOL

#18 louiebeton, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  19. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

Trying this phone holder I saw in Lazada and replaced the bracket that fits an iPad.

Attached Files:

louiebeton likes this.