iOS 8.4 Jailbreak Released

Discussion in 'Jailbreak & iOS Hacks' started by Edelheid, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Just when I told myself it's okay to ditch iOS 8.3 with jailbreak for Apple Music, this comes out. TaiG has already released their own jailbreak tool, and it's highly recommended that you use theirs.

(edited as requested by poster - admin)

#1 Edelheid, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. ocinnhoj

ocinnhoj Member

is there an alternative to pkgbackup?

3. xdeath010

xdeath010 Member

I just bought the pkgbackup.
    Hassle free transfer of tweaks.

4. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

5. MFB

MFB Member

Glad JB discussion is now allowed. Pkgbackup didnt proceed as well as it did for me pre ios8. I had to manually but back some apps but at least preferences were all saved. How's 8.4 working out , is it really better or just stay with 8.3? TIA

6. saibot

saibot Member

care to share your ipad tweaks?

7. Edelheid

I had asked a staff member to remove the download links in light of the newly posted rules. A quick google search for "TaiG" should bring you to the right place.
    It's always a good idea to stay on the latest firmware, unless your favourite tweaks aren't compatible with it. I tend to sacrifice a couple of tweaks just to get the latest update (with a jailbreak, of course) available. In addition, some apps might start requiring iOS 8.4 soon.

iOS 8.4 is pretty much all about Apple Music and then some small bug fixes including a fix to the unicode bug that caused a plethora of devices to crash. I strongly suggest everyone to upgrade.

#7 Edelheid, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    MFB likes this.
  8. saibot

saibot Member

i downloaded 8.4 hoping to fix my imessage and facetime problem but it's still the same... Off topic, anybody experiencing activation issue while logging in?

9. dangcayanan

dangcayanan Member

Use TaiG's jailbreak tool instead of 25PP.
    source

10. Edelheid

Even though this section already disallows discussions relating to piracy, all of you here needs to know that there is currently a backdoor (setreuid(0,0) to get root). You should be safe until a fix comes out IF you don't install packages from random people (and especially not pirated packages). This backdoor is supposedly a bug: it's the "proactive fix" that saurik talked about in the Cydia 1.1.18 changelog. saurik also explained that 25PP requires the use of a similar kernel patch since Cydia has been taking advantage of it unknowingly. Although, he also said 25PP's may be higher quality than TaiG's. The difference between the two is that saurik has intentions of having TaiG remove the exploit once Cydia works around it, whereas he has no idea if 25PP will remove it in the future.

So don't install just about anything suspicious outside the official repo, and should be OK until a fix becomes available.

I can't edit my first post, but it's still recommended that you use TaiG's jailbreak tool. saurik is working with them to remove this bug, and on the other hand communication is nearly non-existent with 25PP so a complete fix for their tool (regardless of accusations that it belongs to TaiG) is certainly looking bleak.

#10 Edelheid, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  11. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

Activator for iPad is not working yet on 8.4.

12. Edelheid

Try adding this repo and install the developer's beta version: rpetri.ch/repo

13. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Activator is now working properly. I tried pkgbackup before, hit and miss. My practice is to just screenshot all my sources and tweaks and then re-download upon restoring. Hassle but it is what it is. Missing BiteSMS though.

14. Edelheid

You can also use AppInfo to export your list of sources/tweaks. I used to have tons of tweaks so having all of that sent via email is a godsend.

15. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Just thought of jailbreaking again over the weekend but I'm quite disappointed with the tools currently available, be it TaiG or 25PP. I first downloaded 25PP since its compatible to the Mac but I'm getting errors in it, I can't pass the 2nd stage of the jailbreak process. I tried TaiG since we have another Mac running Bootcamp but unfortunately, there are also issues if you're running a 64-bit OS (we have Windows 7). I'll try my luck again over the weekend but I can't help thinking how stable the tools were before. The last tool I used was Evasion and its flawless. The jailbreaking tools recently are released quickly but they are not yet stable.

Anyway, on the tweaking front, I'm currently curious about Saurik's tweak allowing jailbreakers to "unjailbreak" their iOS devices -- Cydia Impactor. This makes it easier to go back to your clean OS without plugging your devices to iTunes.

16. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i used taig, got no problems with it, done in about 5 minutes

17. sirbenski

sirbenski Member

TAIG is now available for Mac OSX.
    I'm on 8.3 and Jailbroken. Thought I'd skip 8.4 since my copy of Parallels trial expired (had to use it for Windows just to jailbreak). Now that TAIG is now running on Mac, might as well try it.

My process when it comes to jailbreaking after updating to the new firmware is to just list what tweaks / themes I use most and then reinstall them after the re-jailbreak process. Gives me peace of mind that I'm not bringing extra junk from the tweaks that I rarely / don't use.

18. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Wow this is new to me - jailbreak discussion on PhilMUG. :D

I am also a fan of Jailbreak, been jailbreaking since my ipod touch 4 and have been enjoying awesome tweaks and added features such as: FlipControlCenter, Facebook++, Safari Downloader, iFile and many more others :D

just recently updated to 8.4 and jailbreak using PP