iOS 8.3 Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreak & iOS Hacks' started by dangcayanan, Jun 30, 2015.

1. dangcayanan

dangcayanan Member

Hello PhilMug! I'm really happy that we can talk about Jailbreak now so I took the liberty by posting first. Before you say "Hey man, Jailbreak is just ALL about pirating apps!", I will argue that it is definitely not and jailbreaking your phone is perfectly legal. source.

What is a Jailbreak?
    According to wikipedia: "Jailbreaking is the process of removing hardware restrictions on iOS, Apple's operating system, on devices running it through the use of software and hardware exploits; such devices include the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and second-generation Apple TV. Jailbreaking permits root access to the iOS file system and manager, allowing the download of additional applications, extensions, and themes that are unavailable through the official Apple App Store." It is the counterpart of Android's root. You can install tweaks, themes and apps not approved by Apple. With root access, the most common use would be to pirate apps that is why Jailbreaking.

But fret not, there are many useful tweaks that we can install. Thanks to Cydia and its developers, users now have the capability to use their phones to its max potential. For example: with Activator, you can assign gestures to specific commands like holding the volume up/down keys to Next/Previous songs command. Really useful when commuting. Virtual Home tweak will make your touch ID acts like a home button! You don't have to push your home button now! Flipcontrolcenter tweak to add different toggles in your control center. An additional toggle that is really useful for me is the cellular data. No more going to settings menu to turn it on/off. You just swipe up, then click. Really really useful and time saving. iFile is a Finder-like app but for iDevices. Use your PS3 controller as an MFi controller. And if you know f.lux, you can now install that by jailbreaking!

How to Jailbreak
    Official tool here.
    You need an iOS 8.3 iDevice. (I recommend doing a restore.)
    Downgrade your iTunes to a compatible version. You can find the guide here: source
    1. Plug your device into your computer.
    2. Open iTunes and backup your device.
    3. Disable Find My iPhone, turn off your passcode, disable Auto Lock, and turn on Airplane Mode.
    4. Close iTunes and open TaiG.
    5. Uncheck '3K Assistant' and click 'Start'.
    6. This process will take some time - don't touch your device.
    7. Once your device is Jailbroken, Cydia will appear on your homescreen.
    8. Restore your backup and open Cydia.
    9. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHILE CYDIA IS PREPARING THE FILESYSTEM.
    10. You're all done!

Got the instructions from here: source

Jailbreak tweaks in action.
    watch here and here.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks! :)

2. xdeath010

xdeath010 Member

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

JB'ing is great and all but you're missing one important thing: Caution.

In essence, when you JB an iDevice, you're circumventing security in a way to have unrestricted access. But it's not just the user who has this unrestrained access. A faulty app, malware, and even spyware (can come as a trojan from cracked software or non-Appstore approved apps) can have root access 'out-of-the-box'. I'm not against JB'ing in general as I did it myself a long time ago. But it is not for everyone. You certainly don't want to JB an iDevice for use by your kids or non-techie family members. I had specific needs back then but now, I've got the need to JB out of my system, so to speak.

In summary, it's essentially like having a safe with the door left ajar, hoping that nobody else but you gets to see or take what's inside. From Apple's point of view, they spent time and resources developing those safeties to protect the user from such threats. It's not perfect but it still does its job quite well.

:D Here's a perfect analogy. Watch it through to the end:

LeoCastillo likes this.
  4. dangcayanan

dangcayanan Member

Yup, that is actually true, jailbreaking is not meant for everyone. But with this tool, you can also protect yourself against exploits too. It's like a double edged sword, you just need to know how to use it properly. And yeah, you need to be techy too.

Yup, Apple made good improvements for the iOS' security specifically the Find my iPhone feature. Stolen iPhones would be just a simple brick. With jailbreak, you can install iCaughtU Pro. You can send SMS to your iPhone to enable force alarm, send location every 5 minutes and even take pictures from the front camera when they try to open your iPhone then send to your email. A good read for that can be found here.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/12/...catch-thief-who-had-stolen-wife-iphone-6.html

To minimize risk, use trusted repos and buy tweaks from official repos only.

LeoCastillo likes this.
  5. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I let someone JB'ed my iPad. Other than apps he installed, he made the interface a fast-switching system. Reducing the animation.
    I wasn't satisfied with the performance, error pops out of nowhere, sometimes on the top screen. He even included some paid apps for my Akai Synsthation 49. But it just doesn't work that way smoothly and efficiently.

I tried to restore it via iPad reset, it doesnt work that way so I have to connect it to my laptop and do the restore in iTunes.

I would never dare to JB again my iDevices. - hassel

6. Simbadda

Simbadda Active Member

I used to jailbreak my phone and have spent roughly $30 on paid tweaks to add functionality.
    My favorite tweaks/apps were bitesms, intelliscreenx, springtomize, biolockdown (secure opening apps by requiring touchid), virtual home.

Main problem was finding out which cause battery drain and which of the tweaks were causing conflicts.

Now, with all the jailbreak tweaks that has "inspired" apple to add to ios, i wish that they will be able to add quick-compose in the future.

7. Tripper_11

Tripper_11 New Member

awaiting 8.4 before jailbreaking. :D

8. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

There's no evidence that the current jailbreak tool works on iOS 8.4. There are various rumours that it works, but I wouldn't risk it and most especially if jailbreaking is important to you. It could take Apple hours or days before they close the signing window for iOS 8.3 and once it's closed, you can no longer downgrade and you'll be stuck with iOS 8.4 running stock until a new jailbreak tool arrives. It's possible that we won't see one again until iOS 9 arrives.

9. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I have a question re: unlocking a network-locked iPhone 4S. I'm already out of contract with Smart and am looking for a way to unlock my iPhone 4S (on iOS 8.1.2.) so I can use it with another carrier here in Sydney. I've tried the Jailbreaking bit but it didn't work. I'm not too keen on downloading free apps (heck my iPhone 4S is only 16GB!) but I'm more keen on unlocking it.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread, or if unlocking is still a restricted topic in Philmug. If so, kindly disregard my query, and mods can delete this.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

If you have the subscription details of your Smart plan then you can ask Smart to unlock it for you. Both Globe and Smart allow this for a year or two already.

11. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

This is possible I have my previous iPhone 4S out of contract from globe unlocked

12. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

I don't know if rules have changed but I think Jailbreak talk is not allowed in Philmug. Mods, correct me if Im wrong. If I am wrong, my apologies,

13. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I was surprised as well. But then again, if there's a sub-forum called "Jailbreak & iOS Hacks", I think it's safe to say that the topic is de facto allowed.

> iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad > iOS > Jailbreak & iOS Hacks

mokmoki likes this.
  14. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, jailbreak discussion (with the exception of anything illegal like piracy, presumably) is now allowed according to LeoCastillo.

15. ocinnhoj

ocinnhoj Member

16. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Yes folks, we have loosened the rules a bit to allow jailbreaking/hack discussions (even has its own forum category now :p) . Our chairman Johannes will post the guidelines soon and will post as a sticky on this forum.

We're still working on the house rules here but anything related to piracy (cracked iOS games andapps) / advertising of related services etc will NOT be tolerated. (for strict compliance) :mad:

mokmoki, Bohica1925 and zagu like this.
  17. Mykolant

Ok, sounds good! My error was that I didn't know about this when I terminated my contract and post-paid account from Smart. The CC staff didn't even bring up the option of unlocking the phone (obviousy, why would he? LoL!). How do I do this if I'm outside Phil.? Can I just call Customer Care to facilitate this unlocking process?

18. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Smart does not unlock factory-locked phones. Globe does. I am not sure why Smart can't unlock phones when Globe can.

19. Mykolant

^You are correct, Ronnel!

I sent a tweet to ask @SmartCares about this and here's the reply:

[​IMG]

20. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman