Inverter aircons and other appliances. Huge savings on electricity bill?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by fanman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

anyone knows how the sleep function of Kolin inverter window type aircon does?
    temp doesn’t change, only notice the indicator light up when sleep button is pushed, not mention in user guide too

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Different brands do it differently. One variation, upon enabling the feature, it increases the temp setting 1 degree after an hour and another degree every hour after that until it reaches +3C of your original setting. Then on the 8th hour (after the mode was enabled), it reduces the temp setting by -1 degree.

So if you set it up at 24C and enable sleep mode, it will go up to 25C after an hour, 26C after another hour and 27C on the third hour and stay there until the 7th hour. Then on the 8th hour, it goes goes down to 26C. This supposedly helps you sleep at night and save electricity at the same time.

3. volans

volans Member

Just an update: Finally got a Hitachi Window type inverter a/c. No regrets! :) It just needed to be cleaned after 6 months of use. Good thing my purchase came with 2x free cleaning within a year. You'd have to call Hitachi afterwards though to clean the unit (for P800) or else you void the warranty. Sounds fair though. :)

4. Sealander

Sealander New Member

Just bought the kolin 1hp window type inverter aircon. I read the owner's manual and it stated that this type of aircon is designed to splash the condensation water on the condenser coil. That is the hissing aound that you here. If the sound annoys you just remove the rubber plug at the drain hole but that willcause a bit loss of performance. Regarding the sound like water flowing that is the sound of refrigerant flowing inside the unit.

5. cunninglinguist

Hi can I have the number of Hitachi? I tried googling but couldn't find it.

6. mojako

mojako Member

Thanks for sharing that article

The article also mentions that the on/off cycling of a compressor in a conventional aircon (non-inverter) is what causes electricity to go up? So this is the opposite of what i learned that the compressor must not be running all the time to conserve electricity?

What do you think about that?

7. oj88

It is the electrical surge during the motor start-up is what wastes energy.

Imagine driving stop-and-go traffic vs driving constantly at varying speeds. Fuel usage is highest when you have to move the car from a standstill. On the other hand, driving consistently at speed uses the least amount of fuel.

8. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Recently bought an LG inverter refrigerator. Anyone here with inverter refs that experienced a noticeable decrease in their elec bill?

9. oj88

We doubled the size of our ref from a traditional Sanyo 7 cu-ft to a 15 cu-ft LG inverrter. I've set it at 3-deg C. Using a wattmeter, they consume roughly the same amount of electricity.

lsalapare and suavecito like this.
  10. mojako

mojako Member

Got it. Thanks.

11. suavecito

That's great! I replaced mine with roughly the same 8.6 cu but now its on inverter. Hope to see some decrease in the power consumption this upcoming months.

12. oj88

I should mention that our old Sanyo ref wasn't a frost-free model, hence, no heating element. The LG inverter model however is frost-free. It has a heating element to automatically defrost the ice. I didn't take note of how often it is in operation but when it was defrosting, it's using up about 200-250W. Otherwise, when the compressor is running, it stabilizes at around 90-100W.

suavecito, Theus and ronjet like this.
  13. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

I have no table or graph to present, but adding a 1HP Gree inverter aircon to our house didn't add significant damage to our monthly electrical bill with 4 to 6hrs nightly usage.

14. suavecito

Correct me if im wrong. You wont save as much electricity with inverter type aircon operating for 6-8 hours a day? OTH inverter appliances such as ref, freezers, split type office ACs etc that are operating 24/7 saves the most electricity.

15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Ideal running time for inverter ACs to realise savings is 8+ hours.

Source: Company is a reseller. Also, manufacturer recommendations + http://biz.meralco.com.ph/power-ide...irconditioning-units-spend-only-p420-per-hour

lsalapare, Theus and suavecito like this.
  16. efm2

efm2 Member

Hi guys. What's a good 1 HP window type inverter? Yung tahimik. I plan to replace my 5 y/o 0.5 HP American Home aircon. Thanks.

17. dingjana

dingjana Member

We bought a 1HP LG inverter split type unit. Can barely hear it, cools the room quickly and one of the more reasonably priced units we saw.

18. mykelangelo

mykelangelo Member

We bought a 2.5hp XPower Carrier split type inverter aircon more than a year ago. After 15 months of using it, the two motherboards got burned.
    The cost of the two motherboards is the same as 2.5hp Carrier non-inverter split type aircon.
    Savings on your electricity bill does not compensate the high maintenance cost.

19. efm2

efm2 Member

As nobody here has ever bought a GE Mabe window type inverter, I proceeded to get one to replace my 0.5 hp American Home. My room is 17 m2 and I got the 1 hp Mabe to back up my I hp mitsubishi split type non-inverter. I have been running it for almost a week now from 12 noon to 5 am the following day. If the noon temp bridges 30 C in my room I open them both at the same time until it's reasonably cold for me to go on with just the 1 hp Mabe. If my room is around 32C It take an hour to bring it down to 26C. I then turn off the split type and just let the Mabe on until the following morning at Auto. Come next summer I'm planning to get a 1.5 split type inverter to replace my 1 hp non-inverter. This will give me a total of 2.5 hp in my 17 m2 room. The 1.5 HP will serve the day duty while the 1 HP will cover the night duty. I think I'll be ready for next summer's heat onslaught!

20. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm shopping for a new 2hp inverter AC. I was looking at the Panasonic, LG and Samsung. I only added the Samsung because of the WiFi options it has. Anyone used Samsung? I'm leaning towards the Panasonic though.