Inverter aircons and other appliances. Huge savings on electricity bill?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by fanman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. zarghee

zarghee Member

I got a Samsung 7.6 cuft inverter ref. Daily consumption of 0.77kWh is worth it. Electricity costs around Php 250 per month.

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

3. yoh_hectic

I called LG Support and asked about the indoor operating sound level and they promised to SMS me back concerning the IPI and ISI. While on the line I asked them about the dealers I am talking to at the moment.

I was told that one of the dealers I am talking to is not on LG's authorized dealer's list. I must apologise that I cannot reveal the name of the dealer here as I do not want to be part of a flamewar or be stalked by the unauthorized dealer. Do not worry I did not link the unauthorized dealer on any of my posts.

When the price is too good to be true call the brand if the dealer is authorized. It will save you headaches in after sales support.

BTW I just found out that there are inverter washing machines and inverter generators. The same as with the refrigerator they promise much lower power consumption. These are crucial seeming power rates are the highest in Asia and we tend to upgrade these appliances every decade or so.

4. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

Power rates = a very good reason why we're opting to upgrade our refrigerator early next year. We're gonna go with an LG side-by-side inverter refrigerator to replace our decades-old whirlpool :eek: I believe a huge chunk of our electric bill comes from our fridge :eek:

5. yoh_hectic

Coincidentally, a story on LED light efficiency reaching 100 lumens per watt appeared while I was reading my newsfeed. Which brought me to finding out that Cree & Philips are the top 2 LED lighting companies. Sadly Cree appears to have no presence here in the Philippines. I was told by a US-based interior designer that GE is also a great brand for LED.

Below is a timeline on how LED makers were able to improve the lumens per watt of LED lights.

[​IMG]

What I learned from my research is that there are 100 lumens per watt LED lights being sold in the Philippines. For example the Philip 10.5w (85w equivalent to incandescent) produces 1055 lumens making its efficiency 100.48lm/W.

Other Philip LED lights vary from 96.55lm/W to 70lm/W.

lm/W is important as it relates to efficiency of the LED light. More light it produces per watt means you will not need to to spend more on power.

Another thing to consider and often ignored is the color rendering index (CRI). In a nutshell CRIrefers to the ability of the source of light to show the colors of various object as faithfully to natural light that is ideal. There is a scale to it which tops at 100. 100 being natural sunlight.

Ideally lm/W should be 90 or higher, power consumption below 10w, lumens more than 900, 90 or better CRI and more than 25,000 hour life.

So far I've seen LED lights that does all these things locally but exceed 80 CRI and reach 25,000 hour life.

Other brands I may not consider as they are not known to EnergyStar.gov. Yes, there are lots of cheap LEDs out there,

I visited a call center along EDSA a few months back and I was surprised at how good the lighting was in the place especially after I used the call center lights with my SLR.

I look forward to changing all my light fixtures to LEDs.

6. yoh_hectic

My apologies on being off topic but my assumption is if you are going after a power efficient inverter aircon (other than for the operating sound level) then you will also be interested in all power efficient electrical/electronic equipment as well like LED bulbs and tubes.

7. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If I may, residential, commercial and industrial LED lighting have their own place on another thread. This is still about inverter/AC-DC-AC/variable-speed appliances.

8. yoh_hectic

A question, if a Room requires 2hp from a conventional AC would it mean we need a 2.5hp inverter AC?

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ It should be the same.

10. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

from experience yes, we replaced our 1.5 window type to a carrier 1.5 split-type inverter. its not as cool as before especially during daytime. so we decided to use a 2hp split type instead and move the 1.5 on another room. size is about 19sqm and usage is about 22hrs per day.

11. silie

silie Active Member

question guys, there were two surveyors who went to our house, the first one told me just get 1hp for one room and 1.5hp for masters bedroom, the other surveyor said it should be 1.5hp and 2hp, who should i follow? thanks!

12. donsiapno

donsiapno Active Member

How big are the rooms? Sqm

13. silie

silie Active Member

@donsiapno approximately 26 and 35sqm

14. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

This might help:

[​IMG]

15. donsiapno

donsiapno Active Member

I think the recommended area above are way too small. I almost have the same room area as sillie, my 28sqm has a 2hp while my 36sqm master rm has a 2.5hp both lg inverter, both have same setting fan: lowest, temp: 22. With both set at at lowest fan speed im sure compressor isnt "hirap"

16. silie

silie Active Member

so i'm guessing i need to get the 1.5 and 2hp since thats the recommended one? and more precise?

17. berniedd

berniedd Member

Get 2 HP for each room. Better to err on the side of too much power than too little. Electrical bill won't be very high vs smaller acons which may have to work overtime. Remember, power consumed goes way down once desired temperature is reached.

This is similar to the situation of a smaller engine consuming more gas than a slightly bigger one for the same car model, as the smaller engine actually may have to work harder all the time (higher RPM).

18. panis

panis Well-Known Member

+1 I totally agree to this. That is what we did, got the higher HP so that the aircon would not have to work harder, longer

19. donsiapno

donsiapno Active Member

Instead of 2hp, get a 2.5hp for your 35sqm room, you wont regret it.

20. silie

silie Active Member

thank you for your inputs guys :) appreciate it!