Inverter aircons and other appliances. Huge savings on electricity bill?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by fanman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fanman

fanman Member

Is there really a HUGE difference in terms of electricity bill savings using inverter types of appliances? Is it worth it to replace non inverter appliances especially those being often used like Aircons and refrigerators? Please share your experience.

2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

got this LG split-type inverter just before Christmas. yesterday we got our meralco bill, initially disappointed there was practically no change. then i realized, the non-inverter type it replaced was only half its cooling capacity & only cools our eldest's room. now our new split-type cools both our kids' rooms. so yes, these things do work :)

3. Rapture25

Rapture25 Member

inverter type aircons will save electricity. the big difference is the way the compressor motor operates...frequent start and stop of a standard compressor motor is the biggest factor why electricity consumption of non-inverter type aircon is higher than inverter type considering both are of equal cooling capacity/ ratings.

4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

My friend used to be a consultant for McDonalds. They tested these inverter A/C's on one of their branches to see if it's worth replacing the existing machines on their other branches, and the results seems to be the same with the non inverter types. But that's just one example. Of course if it works with the others, then maybe you should get their advice on which inverter to use. See if it works for you.

5. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

am considering replacing our ref to Panasonic inverter type, still researching if it really saves electricity or can saves on meralco bills on its own,
    any comment?

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

In most cases, inverter splits saves electricity between 30-50% (realistically).

When we changed out our 1HP window-type LG with a 1.5HP Panasonic inverter split, our bills went down an average of P2k.

But that's not all. The LG was operated during the evenings only or about 10 hours a day. On the other hand, we used the Panasonic practically 24x7... turning it off only when we leave the house for a few hours.

Based on that, I figured that the ROI on my purchase is 18 months.

When buying inverter A/Cs, it is important that the room is sized up properly. An underpowered inverter A/C will not "idle down" and will operate at full power all the time (and not save electricity). Also, keep your temp settings modest. If you peg it at 16 degrees, you won't be saving money. We set ours at a comfortable 26 degrees.

7. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

If i have the resources to spend on AC, i will replace all our ACs to inverter types. We have panasonic AC split type inverter 1.5HP and the investment is worth it.

My father in law recently bought a LG split type. In the first month, 2000 less in electric bill with the whopping almost 20 hours of usage.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

8. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

That's really impressive then. I also want to invest on an inverter type ac but my fear is that since we would know that it saves electricity, we might use it longer than we usually do (normally around 8hrs a day only for my current ac) and end up with the same or even a higher electricity bill. But your story states that you more than doubled your usage and still ended up with a 2k/mo savings.

Can you confirm that coz it sounds like the inverter ac you got saves you more than 60-70% in ac electricity bills compared to your old ac? I'm definitely getting one if that's the case :)

9. anc90

anc90 Member

What's a good inverter split type a/c? How much will it normally cost, say about 2.5-3.0 hp.

10. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

if inverter aircon saves then inverter refrigerator will saves more? am I correct? as its plugged in 24/7

as I checked the only option is Panasonic, no other brand offer inverter type yet, anyone using it? is it a good investment?

11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I should say that I compared it to a 9 y/o window-type AC that has likely lost its efficiency. It's not as cool as when it was new so the temp preset mostly stayed at the coldest setting. That's aside the fact that its 1HP cooling capacity is about the limit for the room, so when I changed it out for an inverter A/C, it made my savings a bit more dramatic.

That 2k average savings is true. I got the inverter A/C when my wife was about to give birth to our second child. I figured that if I ever wanted to run the A/C for 20-24 hours straight, I need the most economical one.

12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....it is silly to just rely on the theoretical consumption of an inverter vs. a non-inverter A/C. We all know that a brand-new inverter units costs a lot more than a brand-new non-inverter unit. To make a practical and meaningful conclusion of which will save you more in the long run, take into account the expected life expectancy of the unit. What I'm driving at is to determine the break-even point. Given the expected life expectancy (or it could be that you will only be using it for a limited period of time and, after that, you are moving out of your present abode to a newer one), make sure that the expected savings, in terms of kilowatt hour and translated into pesos, will exceed the break-even point (the cost difference between the acquisition cost of an inverter unit vs. a non-inverter unit). If the it does not exceed or is less, it makes no sense to buy an inverter than a non-inverter.

Put another way, the expected savings in electricity cost, given a specific time frame, must exceed the cost premium of an inverter unit vs. a non-inverter unit.

I'm wary of advertised cost savings. Of course it is in the interest of dealers to pump up the figures. If they say that it is 40% less consumption, I'd halve that figure. From there, it is easy to make the calculation.

Make an informed consumer decision, instead of relying on mere sales talk.

13. Ohmme

Ohmme Member

I gave my mom a first generation Panasonic Inverter Refrigerator, their electricity bill was 8,000 pesos, after a couple of months it was now 4,000 pesos, this exact refrigerator was submerge during typhoon ondoy and up to now it is still working. I only trust Panasonic when it comes to inverter appliances, the technology is not new, when companies were not patronizing this inverter types, Panasonic did not stop on researching about inverter type technology.

Right now I have an inverter type washing machine by Panasonic, we are happy with its service and saving from electricity and water too!

Yes they are working, but regarding airconditioning there are a lot of factors, for a business type where in there is constant shift on temperature, customers in and out of the shop I would not recommend an inverter type. Some people are not well informed on how these inverter type appliances work that is why they are not satisfied, with these expensive kind of appliances you should do your homework first before purchasing, google is your friend and window shop a lot.

I am an Industrial Designer and have experience on product development.

#13 Ohmme, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. extremeshot

I actually think it's the other way around and business establishments like restaurants would benefit from this more rather than residential establishments since they really need their ACs on all the time. Customers going in and out of restaurants would take a bigger toll on non-inverter ACs. I remember reading in one of the discussions here that elbert had significant savings using inverter ac on his resto and wanted to replace all his units with inverter type airconditioners as a result.

15. Ohmme

Ohmme Member

It will still depend on the size of the room and establishment, that is why the location where the aircon will be installed will need to be surveyed by accredited aircon techs.

If the recommendation of the technicians will not be followed, I know you will sign a waiver if you will not follow their specifications.

16. extremeshot

Precisely. That's why inverter types would still have an advantage over non-inverter if you follow the same principles/recommendetions.

17. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

agreed on life cycle & i believe that by creating this thread, TS is trying to make an informed decision :) sorry but cutting in half advertised %age less power consumption hardly makes for an informed decision though. one basis i had for our LG was DOST-ETV's verification. being able to purchase the unit directly from LG at PhP7k less than mall price of course was a huge part of that decision :)

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmmm...agreed and anectodal evidence which the thread starter is trying to elicit is a good starting point to make a more rational consumer decision. Same with the DOST benchmark.

19. Gingerific

Gingerific Member

Any brand recommendations? We'll probably get ACs for our new building, maybe I can help them trim down electricity expenses with this type of AC. TIA! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. C9

C9 Active Member

Regarding fridges, I got a 19 cubic foot Panasonic inverter. It's got a bottom drawer freezer that looks small but swallows everything I put in it. The layout is very efficient and much better than a side by side, which looks big but actually has very narrow shelves --- often you'll have to rearrange to fit in large items. Big savings on my electric bill as well.