inventory software

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by bigfellow, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigfellow

bigfellow Guest

are there any inventory and accounting software available? anybody who uses 1??

2. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

MYOB (mind your own business) is the way to go. I use an old Philippine version in Classic for the office but for my personal finance, i use Account Edge (Quicken did the job for a while but this gives me more useful info).

3. sascoordinator

inventory and accounting software nowadays are custom made. most of the apps like those are developed for PeeCees

4. naya

naya Guest

or you can try the Apple born, FileMaker Pro.

you can find lots of inventory templates floating around the web.

5. zedd

zedd Member

im using quickbooks, very good accounting software

6. bigfellow

bigfellow Guest

thanks for the replies! ill try to look search on the softwares you mention.

7. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry for the multiple posts but I think mentioning this on all threads that mentions MYOB will help Mac users find a localized version of MYOB. I'm was looking for a multiplatform accounting app so I dug up info on the local MYOB distributor from the MYOB Asia site.

PHILIPPINES
    BCS Systems & Technologies, Inc.
    2A H&M Building,
    13-15 Linaw Street,
    Sta Mesa Heights,
    Quezon City, Philippines.
    Phone : (632) 448 5128-34
    Fax No : (632) 712 6446
    Email : [email protected]

Called them and they said the Mac version will have to come from Australia and they may not be able to give support for Mac-specific problems. I assume though that the Mac version isnt too different and the localized files developed for Windows can be read by the Mac version

[Edited on 11.16.05 by King]

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

how is the service of BCS?

they seem to work with authorized consultants and sometimes it is difficult to get a hold of them or to get quick responses because of the hierarchy structure of their distribution.

do you know anyone from BCS who can assist with client questions/inquiries?

for those who use MYOB, may i inquire if you use it for personal purposes or for office use? if for office use does the package come with training, installation, etc.?

9. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

i used it both for my personal expenses and in our office. our philippine version is old, OS 9 Classic pa, and came from Mustard Seed Systems. There was an option for service, but the company now dropped MYOB for Simply Accounting yata for the PC.

Shifted my personal expenses to MYOB Account Edge so I could work in Tiger, and if you hide the dollar signs all round (windows, reports), ok lang na hindi siya Philippine version. But I don't print any reports naman; i assume you can hide the currency sign there too.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

who do you contact when you need tech support?

11. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

the office had to email MYOB Malaysia. or was it Australia, when the serial number got corrupted on the iMac.

12. Veegee

Veegee Member

MYOB is a good choice. It supports multi-currency transactions as well, a feature that suddenly vanished from the new versions of Quickbooks :)

13. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

thanks for the input from everyone. it seems that MYOB is a good product. my concern is just the service side...

14. Veegee

Veegee Member

support is easy...

get the latest accountedge version.. :)

15. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

The problem with the US version is that it doesn't account for VAT, which has input and output VAT computations. The US has a turnover sales tax.

16. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

i recall dealing with that in our item pricing. configurable naman yung mga percentages, di ba? i cannot recall exactly what i did, or what worked:

-either i had a "negative" tax factor or did i use a the discount percentage?
    -i think i even had a filemaker database to calculate item prices before VAT, before i figured out the above

I guess the whole thing could have been done in Filemaker, but i love MYOB for its accounting approach, flexible reports (was worth it to adapt them to what MYOB could do), security features, plus its documentation. We are only a small company, and used to have custom made/programmed accounting, inventory, and POS software , but once the programmers who did these for us left and the company hit hard times, ayun, eventually the problems would come up to the point where we chucked these software. And there was always a problem with adequate documentaion.

17. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

actually i'm looking for someone who can help us with myob installation, setup and training for users. our company already purchased the software from the local authorized distributor.

the supplier also offers training but the thing is they have a fixed one-day course for P7,500 per person and this may not work for us because separate groups (ex. A/R, A/P) don't need the full day, they just need the training for their specific functions.

18. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member
    Supporter

my suggestion would be to ask someone, maybe a manager to attend the whole day training and then let him teach the specific end users. i think MYOB would be easy to learn just like Quickbooks.

19. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

i agree- the most important thing is to know your accounting style, your chart of accounts, so the person who attends (your main accountant or someone as familiar with all this plus necessary reports to be generated, definitely; plus you might need to send someone also who is competent with computer learning if your accountant isn't) can ask the appropriate questions at the seminar for migrating your accounting system to MYOB. It's straightforward enough.

#19 opd, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  20. Time

Time Member

My crashes a lot:slanted: