Internet Speed, Cost, Worldwide

Discussion in 'General OT' started by 650h2, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

What's the cheapest plan and what's the Mbps?

2. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

3. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

On the ISP's website, the 1000Mbps plan we're enjoying is now tagged as HK$698/month (around Php4,450) so I guess they already increased their rates after I upgraded our plan (was on a measly 8Mbps plan before)

Their lowest plan is 500Mbps at HK$598 (around HK$3,800). I was initially offered that plan at around HK$300+ while I was negotiating the upgrade. Lucky for me as it seems I got a bargain with our current plan. LOL!

4. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Are the currencies correct?

5. fcdiesta

Sorry the second paragraph should read "Their lowest plan is 500Mbps at HK$598/month (around Php3,800)."

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

raypin likes this.
  7. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I see.

For my use case I'd want prices of unlimited 50Mbps to drop below P1,000/month.

Law of diminishing returns.

It's nice to have the ability to download 7GB of data within 1 minute but depending on the use case this only occurs once a month?

At 500Mbps & 1Gbps speeds you would need 33 and 66 concurrent 4K streams at 15Mbps/stream to max out the bandwidth. I chose 4K streams as these are applications where in buffering is not acceptable.

#87 Adarna, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    raypin likes this.
  8. fcdiesta

I was actually leaning towards accepting the 500Mbps offer, but then I thought, I might as well opt for the maximum offer to future-proof my household. With file and program/app sizes, video resolutions, etc increasing at a rapid pace every year, I'd rather plan ahead than play catch-up later on. Also, those figures (500Mbps and 1Gbps) are maximum "promised" rates, but by no means are they consistently delivered at those rates for a whole day.

9. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

You're the best person to assess your needs.

This is a counterpoint for other readers to consider when they are looking to a new fiber internet plan.

Having had 100Mbps since 2009 then right sizing to 20Mbps > 50Mbps > 100Mbps > 50Mbps later made me realize that maybe money is better used elsewhere?

Fiber contracts gets renewed every 12/24/36 months so any future upgrades are easy to do. For some ISPs they'll allow you to upgrade within lock-in without penalty.

The successor to H.265/HEVC was finalized last month. It is supposed to be able to deliver 8K video at the same Mbps as 4K video. 8K streaming is expected to come out in 2026. This will require to buy a new TV.

I know PS4 and possibly PS5 game downloads are 100GB/game making it 15 min download for 1Gbps and 30 min for 0.5Gbps.

Just a thought lang.

Globe recently repriced their unlimited 200Mbps fiber with mesh network & landline at 3,499/month. It's priced better than Converge Plan 3500 at unlimited 150Mbps fiber with no mesh network & no landline.

Globe also has the cheapest unlimited 500Mbps fiber with mesh network & landline at 4,999/month.

Globe also has the cheapest unlimited 1Gbps fiber with mesh network & landline at 9,499/month.

PLDT's prices leverages the fact that often times they're the only ISP in town.

Hopefully this will change every time I renew my contracts. This month they jacked up the price of their service by 100/month.

#89 Adarna, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    raypin likes this.
  10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Went back to my earlier posts to this thread and I can't imagine how expensive my internet was years ago...

Provider: M1
    Advertised speeds: 500Mbps
    Actual speeds: depends on the device - by my office laptop is reaching 420 up/down
    Monthly Data allocation: unlimited
    Delivery: Fiber
    Monthly Cost: S$28 (PhP 980) - "kuripot ako" I always go for the cheapest available plan

I keep telling my wife and daughter that we'll only subscribe to 25mbps plan of Converge once we're back in Manila...

Our Netflix and Amazon Prime are NOT 4K - TV is also connected using a LAN Cable
    5 laptops at home, but only 3 are used at the same time (2 are spare)

For me it's all about device management, having 500Mbps is nice, but whenever I visit my mom who only has a 15mbps Globe plan, I only feel the need for a faster internet when uploading and downloading files.

raypin likes this.
  11. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Some fiber plans from Converge come out cheaper (e.g. 25Mbps and 75Mbps at P1,500 and P2,500 respectively), but ugh, their customer service has been terrible as of late! Their service is okay when it works.