Internet Speed, Cost, Worldwide

Discussion in 'General OT' started by 650h2, Oct 31, 2013.

1. gestapo

gestapo Active Member

Manila is way overcrowded than Singapore. ;-)

2. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Crowded but not everyone has access to internet. In ratio, SG has higher population that has internet. So i dont think that would be a problem.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....perhaps we should look at economic cost as a factor to explain the wide gulf between our network infrastructure (and why their telco can offer superior bandwidth at lower cost to consumers than ours). I'm thinking that in countries like Singapore, the cost of rolling out broadband tech is much lower than ours (it could be a function of taxation on imported equipment, with ours being taxed higher). It could also be that Singapore's technology base is much more advanced than ours and therefore they can roll out better and cheaper technology without need for importation. As far as I know, our own electronics industry is limited to assembly and there seems to be no thrust at import substitution (cheaper homegrown tech vs. pure import). It could also be caused by economies of scale and the savings that accrues (with more advanced countries, internet penetration is much higher than ours). IOWs, their total costs are lower than ours and that may explain the huge price-to-performance differential between ours and theirs.

4. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Agree, but what i dont get is the heaven to earth difference. 50mbps to 3mbps within the 1k php price range is mind boggling.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I think it has something to do with competition...

I did a quick search and found that Singapore has 5 residential internet providers.

Starhub and Singtel also provides TV so they can provide a discount if you take all 3 services from them (including phone).

Other 3 providers will either have to lower their prices or increase their speeds if they want to compete in the market.

6. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

i wish google:would roll out googlefiber:eek:ptic internet manila

re local and international bandwidth, afaik, Philipines has no local internet backbone shared by local isp

7. raypin

mmm......yes, competition works in our favor but even if we have a truly competitive environment, it does not address the issue of cost. If the same cost constraints prevail and affects all players within an industry, the base cost of doing business will still be higher than it would otherwise be in an environment where cost constraints (taxes, importation, availability of home-grown technology, faster roll-out of cheaper and more advanced technology, better efficiency, presence of subsidies etc.) are not present. I'm saying that Telcos there have lower cost than Telcos here and that translates to better pricing there than here. At least, that's my theory.

#47 raypin, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^good point!

And somehow, you get this feeling that telcos here have a "gentlemen's agreement" to peg rates within a specific price range to ward off a price war.

But in the same vein, this same "agreement" can work in the telcos' favor by agreeing to offer a "uniform" (high) priced yet low speed bandwidth to the market, which doesn't favor the consumer.

9. ice

10. ebelerma

ebelerma Member

imho, the rollout of the fiber backbone was not well planned out in Manila, in contrast to the setup here, thus being very limited and costly to install one fast internet to a location, plus the volume of data against the available bandwidth may always be not enough. It could have been the ZTE broadband deal that would have addressed this, but unfortunately, was filled with corruption. To make you guys drool a bit more, a network here offered 1gbps for 50SGD (1.8k php) !

11. nurse_corrupted

Haven't posts much since I moved.

Provider : Virgin Media Broadband
    Advertised Speed : 60 mbps
    Actual Speed : 62 to 63 mbps
    Cost : 25 pounds (first 3 months) 30 pounds thereafter/ month (multiply that by 74 for peso)
    Monthly Data limit : Unlimited
    Delivery : Fiber Optic

London is a big area, I lived near the outer boroughs already. Virgin will roll out a free upgrade to 100 mbps once they finished upgrading their network. This is why I'm sticking with Virgin all the way.

12. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

Provider : Time Warner Cable
    Advertised Speed : 20 Mbps
    Actual Speed : 22+ Mbps
    Cost : $55.00/month (around PhP2500)

Delivery : Coaxial Cable

13. ice

There's hope for local internet...

NTC sets benchmarking for broadband service - Philstar

14. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I avail Zain here, most of my friends are using STC & Mobily, but Zain is best in residential area. My only problem here is that, they have maintenance in our area so internet is always down once a month, but its still ok. Economically wise since Im mobile all the time, their local internet is much faster than 4G, tried downloading movie via the hotel's internet 700mb file for 20mins (torrenting) and the server kicked me out after downloading a torrent file. Hehehehe

Provider : Zain
    Advertised Speed : 4G (dunno with their advertised speed)
    Actual Speed : I'm downloading files around 13Mbps (average)
    Cost : 1045 SAR/Year (so its 87 SAR equivalent to 1000 Php)
    Delivery : Mobile

15. raypin

16. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ I just read about this myself a few minutes ago; & this is absolutely unacceptable.

17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ My son always complains to us whenever we are on the flight back home: "Oh man, now the Internet is gonna be slow again!"

18. ice

Typical conversation we have at home every 2 years...

Me: We get to recontract our DSL... For the same price, we'll get 100mbps! (we presently have 50mbps)
    Teenage Daughter: Yehey!!!
    Wife: No need... It will make adjusting to Manila internet harder!

19. headlesszombie

headlesszombie Active Member

Provider : Comcast Blast! internet

Advertised Speed : 105 Mbps

Actual Speed : 105+Mbps

Cost : $78.95/month

Delivery : Coaxial Cable

20. ice