Internet Cable repair recommendations?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by godivachoc, Feb 6, 2019.

1. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Hey guys.

The internet line from downstairs to the second floor is broken and I don't think PLDT or Globe would offer to fix these cables. I really have no idea who I can reach out to.

Any recommendations?

TIA! :D

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Google Wifi or any Mesh Wifi that can effectively blanket your home. Easier and provides much needed relief from dead zones.

3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ You can try talking (short of flagging down their vans :D) to their service provider (usually FibrHome) if they can do it for you as an 'off-line' transaction

godivachoc and porkypork like this.
  4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Check out powerline adapters such as these products by TPLINK https://www.tp-link.com/ph/products/list-18.html
    I was once asked by my brother to help a niece extend internet from the ground floor to the second floor and this is what I used.

I would have opted to lay down cables but its tough to stretch them through nooks and crannies and the end result will affect the aesthetic finish of the house.

The receiving device can even be relocated to other rooms as long as there’s an electrical outlet connected to the same circuit and within the operating distance. You can also have both wired and wireless connectivity depending on the model.

Note: I am not connected to tplink and do not endorse it as the only brand option for the kind of device.

godivachoc likes this.
  5. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Is the wiring embedded in the walls? Electricians usually can replace them with new cables. But yeah, I second the third-party installers of ISPs, they're more knowledgeable on networking stuff.

godivachoc likes this.
  6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

What sort of cable is it? Telephone wire (DSL), LAN cable (Cat5e/6), or fibre? Who installed it?

7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm guessing you're talking about ethernet cables, since fiber should be done by PLDT or Globe(if it is, you should tell them). If it is ethernet cables, then you can ask your local computer shop if they can provide you with a custom ethernet cable with the correct length and all. Maybe an electrician can help you do it.

raypin likes this.
  8. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Just found out that these third party installers don't carry extra cables already. We used to "convince" them to go beyond the fixed 5/10/15 meter packaged LAN cable, but now, installers told me that they're given pre-cut cable na. haha

9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I m with the suggestion to go whole home wifi instead of ethernet.....unless you use your 2nd fl broken ethernet for PC gaming where lag time is a no-no.

#9 raypin, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  10. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

go for powerline adaptors!

raypin likes this.
  11. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

What's a powerline adaptor?

Thanks for all the recommendation guys. I think it's an ethernet cable going up here. It used to work.

We both have PLDT Fibr and Globe at home (Globe is mostly used by my brother for gaming).

12. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Best route to go I think is mesh networking as suggested above. Least hassle/amount of work needed. But that'll only work for 1 provider. You'll be needing another one for your second ISP.

13. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Powerline adapters use your home’s electrical wiring circuit to transmit data instead of conventional CAT5/6 ethernet cables. Just connect one end to your modem and to an electrical outlet, the other end to another electrical outlet within the house, do some simple settings and your network is now extended to anywhere you plug the receiver part. Most models have both ethernet and wifi. So its like having both a wired switch and a wifi repeater.

14. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

Load Balancer wont do the trick for 2 ISPs?

15. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

What is the purpose of this particular ethernet cable? In other words, what two devices is it trying to connect?

16. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Wow, never knew about this one, til now.

cybersniper likes this.
  17. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

My cousin bought a google wifi with 3 wifi points but it didnt covered the whole house. I told him to buy the Linksys Velop Tri band - 3 packs and it did blanket the whole house.

The problem with google wifi design, it is small just like a make up kit and the built in antenna easily absorbs by the ground not like the velop the internal antenna placement is in the top of the tower so the wifi broadcast is much wider.

Powerline works only in single circuit breaker. Most of the houses nowadays have more than 3 circuit breakers.