Internet Browser slows down on mac

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by leeweiss23, Nov 4, 2009.

1. leeweiss23

leeweiss23 Member

Hi I have a problem with my browser, its kinda slow. I have an ibook G4 14" and Leopard os 3 months ago im enjoying my internet surfing it's ok but today its lagging , but if i try to shake my mouse or track pad it loads ok but if i stop it move slowly.... either of mozilla or safari its still the same problem. or thus this have a problem also with the flash player? but it's the latest update... can anyone help me about this matter? i really appreciate that... thanks :cool:

2. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

is the browser slow or the internet connection? just want to clarify

3. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

with an iBook G4, OS X Leopard is slower compared to Intel Macs.

You need:
    1. maximize the RAM
    2. do not go below about 8gb in HDD free space, OS X needs it to swap files or else the Mac slows down
    3. check the log-in apps through System Preferences & Activity Monitor if there are many hogging your Mac's resources - close them and if not OS X integral, remove them from log-in/start up (Skype, YM, StuffIt, MS automatic updates, etc)
    4. use Safari or Camino, Firefox hogs a lot of resources - you can check Activity Monitor for this
    5. limit your simultaneously open browser windows/tabs to a certain number, 20-50 open windows/tabs slow down the browser
    6. check also if your open websites regularly refresh or are continuously active with add-ons - open these sites only one at a time
    7. limit your apps/add-ons/updates to versions that the old Mac can take - if possible, only up to 2-3 years updates/versions after the model was released (but your mileage may vary, as Safari 4 has the latest technology to run modern websites). I have experienced that the latest VLC, Flip4Mac & Skype will install in my former PowerBook G4 - but it was a struggle, and often times, did not work as it should. So I had to downgrade to versions that would still function well. Experiment to know which version/update is best suited for your old Mac

HTH! :)

#3 macdrive007, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. leeweiss23

leeweiss23 Member

the browser i think coz last time 3 months ago it's still fast and quick to surf.. but now its quite slow, the media in youtube is always lag even if it finishes buffering.. i've read some forums about the safari 3.2 plus update , some say that there are some issues in the safari. they prefer 3.1 version but its not compatible now on my leopard update..

5. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I still recommend OS X Tiger for most PowerPC G4 Macs - my brother's family still has their MacMini G4 1.25ghz 1GB RAM at OS X 10.4.11 and it is fast & efficient.

With most developers now writing for OS X Snow Leopard, iBook G4 owners have to face the limits of what software their Macs can take.

My iBook Clamshell G3 with maxed out 576mb RAM & 80gb HDD is happy with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 but unfortunately, the software versions I installed have made video playback impossible. So I had to make a choice: sacrifice video playback to make the Clamshell up-to-date with OS X Tiger stuff, or roll back to old versions to regain video playback. It's my research/library/word processor Mac, so I chose the former. :)

my own personal analysis: it's the limit to the Video Card Graphics & RAM that makes old Macs struggle with all these updates/new app versions. proof: my donated eMac 1Ghz with 2GB DDR-333 RAM seems to run better/faster that my brother's Macmini 1.25ghz 1GB DDR-400 RAM. :)

#5 macdrive007, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. leeweiss23

leeweiss23 Member

thanks a lot macdrive007 - this info of yours had refresh my insights about Mac and i would be trying these Check list.... it's really great. Thanks a lot...

This contributes a lot to me as me signature says (" ,)