Intel iMac 24" LCD problem: dark spots/smudges

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kaloyster, Mar 10, 2010.

1. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

i can no longer update my first post (http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=43246) so i'm making this one to post some pictures of my dilemma.

i live in the province it's not practical for me to carry this huge thing around to the city just to get it checked up and get a "pakibalikan na lang po" response. i got an applecare for my iMac until 2011 so i'm wondering (because i can't take the horridness of my screen anymore, believe me i tried. but an expensive computer like this doesn't deserve any of those smudges) if service centers can fix or replace this to get rid of the problem.

please refer to the pictures below. it's my iMac screen with all of its flaws. i changed the wallpaper into a flat color so you can better see:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

note that the smudges are in fron of the screen itself, not the outer glass, nor the inner side of the outer glass. seems like the guys in the Mac assembly room got their fingers all over it.

is this covered by the Applecare warranty?

2. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Do you have reason to believe that these smudges, as you call it, are image persistence? You can verify this if your previous wallpaper coincides with the marks on your screen.

3. dfused

dfused Member

yup, its covered by warranty, bring it to any authorized repair center. I used to have that problem with my 20" IMAC 2006 model. They've replace the LCD about 3 times before the warranty lapsed but the last replacement was perfect na, no more burnmarks.

And it will take them 2-3 days or at the most a week. good luck.

4. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

nope it's not image persistence. i see these spots on every light-coloured wallpaper i use. on dark ones they don't show up that much of course. this is most noticeable during the mac startup screen (the grey one with apple in the middle.)

and this is the wallpaper i use lately:
    [​IMG]

notice when you use the "print screen" or whatever it is called on the Mac, the dark smudges don't show up, because it's not part of the display but the LCD screen itself:
    [​IMG]

5. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

The outer glass/plastic is easy to take out. If you can do it yourself, you can try wiping the front of the LCD glass to take out the dirt.

Although there are some cases wherein the dirt is still inside the front glass of the LCD. Found a case of it before on the Apple Support threads, where the guy disassembled his LCD himself to clean it. He did it though on an out-of-warranty Mac so be cautioned.

I suggest trying to take the plastic case off yourself. If you can't take out the dirt, call up the service center and tell them about taking out the front of the LCD. Ask them if they can do it within the day.

This assumes though, that our diagnosis of the screen problem is correct.

6. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

so can you tell me guys where is possibly the nearest service center in my location (bulacan, north)? my aunt told me there's one in SM North (the block i think.)

7. brianmend

brianmend Member

i think it's not just dirt but burns. my imac also have some (on sides and some at upper right), but im not that bothered yet and can't afford to part for now. you may try looking/calling Switch, along commonwealth Ayala Techno Hub.

8. peppers

peppers Member

@kaloyster....Looks like your iMac has been serviced b4 and the tech dont know how to remove the glass flat panel which is sensitive to touches. Those smudges look like finger prints and apple will not sell you with that kind of screen.

Never believe anybody here saying that the glass panel is easy to remove, Ill tell you why after u give us info below.

Tell me, did you purchase it second hand?..Can u also tell me exactly what is the model and manufacturing year..or better yet the serial number so I can take a look at my database.I have access to GSX and Ill let you know more about that problem and possible solution if u give me those info.

Just relax, but I guess u will prepare for ur wallet if you want those smudges out.

9. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

@peppers: i bought it brand new via longbeard (i think he gets his units in HK) and yeah, they do look like fingerprints from the workers in Apple factory or whatever.

i'm not sure if it has been serviced before but longbeard told me he only sells brand new units, so i'm not really sure about that.

here's what i get via system profiler:
    actually i've tried removing the front panel once and it's quite easy using those suction cups from jeepney signs. but i DIDN'T TOUCH ANYTHING in the LCD part because i'm too scared since i previously had that white iMac where the frontmost part is like a soft LCD-type where you can push it with your fingers and it will sink a bit. i just thought it's the same with this one so I didn't mess with it.

10. peppers

peppers Member

Basing from the info you have posted, your iMac has been manufactured Mid 2007 and has an Applecare protection Plan to expire by January 30, 2011. Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service.

The sad part is, you opened your imac which has still warranty on it. Im afraid you might lose it. You need to check it with an apple service provider. I prefer you check it out with the distributor here rather than an APR....

You shouldnt have opened it when you have that problem because it is under warranty. And Longbeard for sure will not be liable if ever he sold you a second hand..or maybe a refurbished imac. Doing it your own when under warranty gives you more trouble on the service and repair.

Okay going back to what you did, you open the glass panel, and using the suction cups is right.. but you are far behind the solution. Inorder to clean the inside of the Glass panel u need to use apple supplied Sticky silicone roller, sticky sheets, Polishing cloths, clean, anti-static, optical grade micro fiber “terry” style cloth, iKlear Apple Polish or Brillianize anti-static spray cleaning solution for the outside of the glass, Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to clean the inside of the glass, Gloves lint-free, anti-static Microfoam bag to store the glass panel, ESD bag for LCD display storage.

However....fingerprints are hard to remove once it has been printed at the back of the glass panel, u will be lucky if the tech has managed to remove them, because those cleaning materials are efficient and are directed to moist and smoke trap inside the panel.

There is no way you can DIY this kind of service unless you have these apple supplied items.

Now...you go to a distributor or try Longbeard first and ask for service and mention that your imac is under Applecare to expire by January 30, 2011. Do not mention that you opened it yourself. If they determined that you have broken the "warranty Seal" god has forsaken you. But then it is possible that if you try to ask for leniency, distributor might consider it and most possibly Longbeard, for as long as they should not inform apple about your DIY action. What they can do to help you is service your imac by cleaning it from the method I mentioned above., If the smudges/ fingerprint cannot be removed, god knows they will inform apple about its conditon and thats where your real problem will be. Apple might ask for the imac to be sent to them for proper investigation.

Take note that any mishandled or DIYed apple products will lose its warranty for whatever reason you have.

11. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

thanks for the info peppers. i want to ask though, if i bring it to a service center and let's say they can clean/remove those awful spots, can i just wait for it to finish or is it really necessary to leave my mac with them?

i really don't want to part with my mac because i use it almost everyday.

12. peppers

peppers Member

You can ask the service provider if you can wait till they finish cleaning up. That might depend on how busy they are though.

Take care of your mac while transporting there...use original packaging as much as possible......and...

Let me know how its going when you bring it to service.

Gudluck!

13. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

yep i'll post updates here to inform you guys. thanks much!

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Our office iMacs seem to have similar problems. I did not notice your thread when I made mine but you can read our case here:

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=56795

Long story sort, we sent them to a service center for repair and they told me it was the case of fine dust getting into the iMacs because the fans suck them in.

@Peppers

Opening the iMac itself is not a problem. We opened up one of our units to upgrade the hard disk and when it needed service the service provider did not question it. It only becomes a problem if you break the unit while doing the process.

15. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

so salaryman, can they repair / replace my LCD (as seen in the pictures in my first post) since i have an applecare until 2011? i can't do graphics designing with these annoying bastards :(

16. Salaryman Ryan

Yes it is covered by Applecare. One of our iMacs had a similar problem and the LCD was even replaced, others were just wiped clean because it was just dust.

17. makinao

makinao Active Member

The same thing happened with my wife's iMac 20" (late 2006). The stains were even longer than yours. Apple replaced the LCD within the first year. Other problems surfaced a month later (overheating, dead keyboard and mouse, etc). My wife ranted via email directly to Steve Jobs, so Apple Asia replaced the whole thing with a newer iMac 20" (mid 2007) with AppleCare. Within a year, the LCD started started staining again. We were ready to bring it back to Apple for repair late last year when the LCD died completely. Apple replaced the LCD again in January. Last week, we noticed a stain developing again. Applecare runs out April 1. We might bring it in one last time. Grrrrrrr.

18. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

Hey guys a little update. I brought my iMac at PowerMac TriNoma and they replaced my burned out LCD with a new one free (warranty.) Woot!

19. Salaryman Ryan

Congrats Kaloyster! Glad it all worked out well for you!

20. savadious

savadious Active Member

WOW!

Thats good news.. It had been so long since update I feared the worse!

Nice to hear the best !