Installation of OSX on an MBP that has a busted superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by rmshaw, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rmshaw

rmshaw Member

I have an MBP that has a superdrive that can no longer read the Apple system restore dvds. I want to install Leopard on a brand new hard drive since my old HD is faulty. How do i do this without the superdrive? I'm looking for an external dvd-drive, but I haven't been able to borrow one yet.

If i borrow a macbook with a working superdrive, replace the hard drive with the one I want to install it on and install Leopard on it, can I use that on my MBP?

Just to be clear: 1. I'll remove the HD of a macbook; 2. I'll attach the new HD of my MBP to the macbook; 3. Install Leopard on that HD; 4. Remove that HD from the macbook and attach it to my MBP.

Will this work? Thanks.

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you can't use your macbook pro system restore dvd installer with the macbook, it won't install..

3. mig

mig Active Member

Nope. Your best bet would be to borrow another Mac and an external HD.

http://www.mactips.org/archives/2008/02/02/installing-leopard-with-an-external-hard-disk/

4. artjazvader

artjazvader New Member

Does that mean system restore DVDs won't work with an external DVD drive? Does it have to be an internal superdrive to make it work?

5. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

You can install using an external optical drive, but you can't install OS X on an HD and move it to another Mac. That's like performing a brain transplant. Esp when you intsall it on a MacBook and moving it to a MacBook Pro. And if i remember correctly, the install discs that come with the MB can't even work on a later/earlier MB, what more on an MBP?

6. amg99

amg99 Active Member

#6 amg99, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

+1 on thumbdrive installation method.
    Just installed Snow Leopard on out office MacBook with a busted superdrive.

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The usb method still requires a working dvd drive unless an illegal .dmg image is downloaded. He he he.

Simplest is to use an external usb dvd drive. P2000 for the slim one at CDRKing. If stocks are available. These go fast.

I have not tested this method but it might work. If you have a hard disk enclosure, put your new one in there. Format using Disk Utility. Download SuperDuper on your Mac. Clone your existing OS X unto the new hard disk. Test the new hard disk by rebooting while pressing the option key. Select the new hard drive as the boot drive. See if everything works. If it works, swap the hard disks.

If that doesn't work, you can use a 3rd external hard drive. Use SuperDuper to clone to the 3rd drive. Install the new hard disk on your Mac. Boot into your 3rd drive (press option) and select. Now clone that drive unto your new hard drive. Reboot into your new drive.

It gets more complicated hehe. If your Mac and the donor MacBook has firewire, you can use Bootcamp on the donor Mac to create a small partition which you can use for cloning. Then format that new partition Mac OS Journaled. Connect the two macs with a firewire cable. Boot the donor mac as target disk (press T while booting). If thing work out well, you will now see two guest hard disks on your Mac's desktop. Clone to the newly created one. Boot into that , swap your hard disk. Boot the your Mac as target disk mode. Boot the donor Mac into the clone partition (press option and select). Clone that on your new hard disk. Phew!

Just buy a dvd writer he he.

#8 Mad Mac, Nov 14, 2009
  9. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

You can create the dmg file from your own OSX disc on another MAC and restore to a flash drive.
    This is the cheapest way, you don't need to buy anything. :)

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If it works, that will be quickest. The beauty of cloning is the new drive gets to be used right away like it was your old one. However if he is upgrading from Tiger to Leopard well, a fresh installation it is.

#10 Mad Mac, Nov 14, 2009
  11. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Remote Disk - using the disk drive of another Mac (without disassembling anything). Please see here.

This scheme used to work only for the MacBook Air but with a little Terminal bash magic, you can do the same with other Mac models.

12. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

AFAIK you cannot install OSX via Remote Disc...
    Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

13. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Technically if you have a retail version of an installation disk, you can install OS X on a HD and then transplant it to another mac computer.
    Did this by having a FW HD enclosure connected to my powerbook g4. Installed Leopard into it, tested it and then removed the HD in the enclosure and placed it in my Powermac g4 digital audio which is not supported anymore in leopard. It booted and now is running under Leopard.

The issue with the question by the thread starter is that the installer DVD is specific for a MBP. Unless the dvd installer used by the borrowed macbook is already leopard then you can do what you mentioned.

14. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

another option as mentioned by Mad Mac is just to clone the drive.
    Use superduper, attach the new hd via external enclosure and clone away.
    once cloned then swap the hd.
    Now since you mentioned the old drive is faulty, is it hardware faulty or OS x corrupted faulty?
    either way if you can still clone it, that is the easiest I believe as the solution.

What I did also to my newly installed Mac OS X is to clone it using superduper but save it as a sparsimage that is set to be read and write. So in any case that I need to make a fresh install, I just use the sparseimage and clone it back

15. rmshaw

rmshaw Member

I'll try the thumb drive method and research about cloning using Superduper. Thanks for the replies!

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

By the way, if you plan to install Windows, now is the time to create your Bootcamp partitions. Errors are common when creating partitions on a fragmented hard drive. Right after a fresh installation of OS X is the best time to run Bootcamp. You don't need to install Windows right away. But that drive will be ready and safe from errors.

17. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I believe you have an Intel Mac, Snow Leopard on USB is the way to go. And you can view it here on how to do it.

18. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member