inFamous or Prototype?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ingge, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ingge

ingge Member

Which game is worth your time and money?

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

currently playing Prototype........lots of gory, gratuitous violence and, at times, nonsensical plot twists. Otherwise, its an eye-candy galore specially when played with the latest GTX nvidias or ATI equivalents. Fairly typical Activision offering. Wish it came with directx 10 version or 10.1 support. Most impressive feature: the NPCs!

3. ingge

ingge Member

How's the gameplay? Is it similar to God Of War?

4. dep28

dep28 Active Member

from what i've seen and heard, gameplay is almost identical to Hulk Ultimate Destruction (same developer after all). I can't really vouche for Prototype but I have inFamous and its one of the best games I've ever played. Plus, given that you can run through it a 2nd time to achieve another type ranking, i.e. inFamous, it's well worth your money giving you roughly 30 hours of gameplay.

and oh, reviews for Prototype haven't been that great. A reviewer even said that inFamous is 'vastly superior' to Prototype.

EDIT: here's an article which may help you decide: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/996/996266p1.html

#4 dep28, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes it is similar to GOW. In addition, most of the objects (vehicles, water tanks etc.) and NPCs are throwable or destructible. But in terms of balance between interaction and plot, the gold standard (at least for me) is still Mass Effect. Looking forward to the 2nd installment of that game. Even the cutscenes (Mass Effect) are excellently done. Unlike Mass Effect, Prototype does not suffer from item micromanagement and instead replaces it with experience points accumulation to purchase upgrades to your arsenal of organic-based weaponry and combo attacks.

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just Googled this last night after seeing the Attack of the Show comparison.

Infamous might give make the PS3 more than a bluray player. Might get Prototype for the 360.

Hmm... Well not time to play for now anyway.

7. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

i'm planning to buy a 2nd hand copy of infamous, since brand new is too expensive for me at the moment.

does anyone know if it's worth buying an R1 copy? or R3 is good enough since there's no multiplayer/DLC, etc?

8. dep28

dep28 Active Member

no DLCs whatsoever so far mate so just get an R3 copy :)

heck, if you've got a game to trade, i'd be happy to lend you my copy :)

9. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Prototype would be the best if you want a "Mutant-Like" abilities.

I just enjoyed destroying some stuff there, never really cared about the story itself.

10. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

Prototype = GTA with Powers.

Very gruesome and fun. But the story is crap.

11. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

Thanks man. I don't have a lot of games yet, though. I'm a new ps3 owner :) But it's cool I think I'll be able to borrow a copy from an officemate a week from now.

12. magkono

magkono Member

i have prototype and finished it really fast:) i can lend it to anyone here if you guys want:p just pm me:)

13. fleadip

fleadip Member

story wise and graphics i'd go for infamous. although i do like the combat more in prototype for its gore, violence and pace.