Inconsistent iPhone data connection on Smart

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by Polaris, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Polaris

Polaris Member

Hi guys, is it just me, or are you also having inconsistent connections on Smart's data plans?

I've gone through two iPhones (5S and 6) on several iOS versions on Smart's LTE plan, and everyday I'm getting connection problems like:
    • No Service 3-5x daily, lasts for 2 minutes on average. Airplane mode usually doesn't fix it
    • Indicates 3G or LTE connection but nothing connects, it's really deceiving. iMessages and other kinds of messaging services don't work. No browsing, etc. Half of the time, airplane mode fixes it.
    • Tons of emails, messages, and notifications come in at the same time -- meaning I've actually been disconnected for a while.
    • Sometimes, even SMS and calls are affected

I can't be at ease knowing there might be an urgent message/email/call waiting for me and I just can't receive it.

Can't say it's a location-based issue, as it can happen anywhere.

I'm getting tired of reporting this to Smart's customer service because they just really do the usual troubleshooting steps (basic end-user troubleshooting as well as the usual network team monitoring), and they don't really resolve or improve anything.

Hope to hear from other subscribers here. :)

2. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

better do a hard reset instead of airplane mode. mine works fine.

3. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Also experiencing all that but couldn't recall exactly when it started for me. While using a Note 3, S5 and iPad Mini sometime ago (all Smart postpaid accounts) then on my iP6+ now I'm still experiencing these symptoms. I kinda got used to it and I personally blame Smart's congested network for this. I never bothered to report to Smart because I already know their troubleshooting script which I find next to useless that, like what you said, never gets anywhere

4. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

Hi! Right now i am having the same issue but in one location/area only. Despite the strong signal of 4G, my net connection is flactuating. For some minutes, the connection is dropped then will be up for another minute or two. It happens only at a certain area. But at my home, connection is consistent. I noticed this yesterday. I had the same issue before.

When i called *888, i told them to check if my account mite be throttled as i exceeded 70 Gig in 15 days and after 48 hours my connection was restored. I am not sure but Smart is slowly monitoring data usage.

#4 Fervish, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. PinkHunny

PinkHunny Member

This usually happens to me when I'm at the hospital (Mandaluyong Area). But in other places, I have no data connection problems.

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@Polaris, I know it's frustrating to call the CS from Smart - they do serve a purpose. If they get a lot of calls for network issues especially Apple related they get serious about it. So do call and report if you haven't yet even if they can't fix it immediately. The iMessage bug from Smart earlier this year was escalated because I believe a lot of users called and reported it to Smart.

7. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Could be your location or the places you frequent. My mini connection thru lte is fine.

8. Polaris

Polaris Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll try having my SIM replaced, and I'll report back :) My SIM was last replaced last December.

9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

even if you have it replaced if your location is spotty then it will be the same. try inserting it first on an android phone with LTE to check.

10. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

I'm also subscribed to monthly LTE but I switched it off and settled with 3G for the meantime. Far more stable signal and sometimes even faster.

11. alas6

alas6 New Member

I work in the Makati area, and lately I haven't been able to get an LTE signal. I also did the same: settled for 3G. I thought it was the phone, but it seems Smart's LTE has been flaky as of late

12. muchos

muchos Member

Will try this out as well for the time being (3G only). Been experiencing intermittent connections lately especially in the Ortigas area.

13. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

same problem here, whenever i remember i call them up about it (probably every 2-3 months). i haven't gotten an lte signal for lalmost a year now. os is updated and regularly do cleanups and resets on my ip5

14. Polaris

Polaris Member

Great news! Replacing the SIM fixed most of my data-related issues. I just can't do anything about the network being slow in general though.

15. maryjane

maryjane Member

I neither have lte nor 3g signal here in sta mesa, manila on my openline iphone 6 plus (a1524, box with ntc sticker) after smart changed my sim when i downgraded my plan from iphone plan 2499 to data plan 2000. Getting frustrated after doing all the tricks: airplane mode; resetting the iphone; network resetting & finally changing my sim this pm. The phone displays the network name but no lte, 3g or even gprs! Please help!