Improvised iBook AC adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by nydge, Jan 20, 2010.

1. nydge

nydge Member

My AC adapter's duck-head plug for my iBook G4 got loose. It doesn't supply power anymore so I tried to look for a fix for it. I removed the duck-head and stared at the adapter's body. After a few minutes of thinking, I realized that the two-prong plug is similar to the power cord used for radio cassette units.

So I looked for our old radio set and found its power cord. I tried to fit it into the adapter and it perfectly fits! The next thing I tried is to test if it supplies power to the iBook. Feeling a bit nervous for the test, I closed my eyes after I plugged it to the power outlet, faced my iBook and opened my eyes slowly. To my surprise, I saw the tip of the adapter glowing in orange. So, it works!

I checked the AC Charger Information in System Profiler and nothing changed on the wattage it gives as compared to the original duck-head.
    [​IMG]

By the way, this is how the improvised adapter looks like. Not pretty but usable.

I have a concern regarding this. Do you think this is safe to use?

2. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

I've been using a cable like that ever since i shifted to apple. From a ibook G4, Powerbook G4, Macbook Pro Coreduo, Macbook and my Current Macbook Pro :) I say its safe :) I actually used a cable from a broken rice cooker :)

3. nydge

nydge Member

Wow, really? Thanks for the info.:D

Will buy a new cord for further peace of mind.

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

That setup is particularly useful if you need to run a longer line from the wall outlet to your MacBook. Not pretty as nydge says but it works. I have plenty of power cords like that from old battery chargers (Sanyo, National, Sharp and generic ones - even those for digital cameras).

5. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Yeah, it does look kinda silly (plugging a 40 pesos worth of cord to an expensive Mac) but it gets the job done :p This reminds me that I need to replace my 5 year old improvised cord for safety reasons.

6. nydge

nydge Member

Thanks for this, soloworx.:) My old Canon Ixus charger's cord worked as well. I might use it temporarily before I find a white cord that will match the iBook's adapter.

7. nydge

nydge Member

LOL! So you also have an improvised power cord?:) I thought I was the only 'kawawa' using an improvised adapter.;)