Importing videos into iMovie

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by DinoJ, Mar 28, 2019.

1. DinoJ

DinoJ Member

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in iMovie. I am using Mac OS Mojave. I noticed that importing my home videos is so difficult. I have a bunch of home videos I would like to edit around but these are NOT accepted by iMovie, most of these are mpg, avi formats. Can anyone shed some light.

Thanks

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...you need to convert your video with unsupported video format to an iMovie supported format before you can import into iMovie for editing. Search the App Store or from the software website a video converter.

#2 raypin, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    DinoJ likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

For Apple video formats, i.e. .m4v, I use Transmission to convert unsupported movie formats like Matroska (.mkv) and .avi before uploading them to iMovie or iTunes Movies.

Transmission is a Linux-based video converter, easy to use, and does not hog your PC resources; you can include subtitles in, approximate the movie size, audio channel and even create movie clips if need be.

raypin and DinoJ like this.
  4. DinoJ

DinoJ Member

Thanks, actually I realized that a conversion is needed. What I could not understand why iMovie is SO SELECTIVE as compared to my Windows Video editors like Windows Movie Maker etc.

leninmac likes this.
  5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ Licensing costs

raypin likes this.
  6. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. That has always been Apple weakness. In fairness if you work within Apple ecosystem of products, say using your iPhone to capture videos or photos, it will work. iMovie supports MOV files which is the default file for videos in Phones.