iMovie (Helpful tips and tricks for same day edit)

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by docjbr, Oct 16, 2019.

1. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

So even us doctors need to scrimp a bit for our annual convention (since there are only 20+ of us in our society)

Our group, the Neuro-Ophthalmology Society of the Philippines, will be hosting the ASNOS 2019 (Asian Neuro-Ophthalmology Society) meeting in December.

I was tasked to do the video, kind of like a same day edit of the 3 day event, which will be shown during the final program on the third day.

Would like to get some tips and tricks from the pros here, hopefully.

Where do you get background music? One that if I post it on our Facebook page, won't have to go through copyright infringement problems.

The only tricks I know on iMove are zoom in and zoom out, and Ken Burns (abled and disable, LOL)

It's be a mix of pics and vids.

Any suggestions? Thanks, muggers!

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

doc, first things first: buy an iPhone 11 Pro. :D
    the stabilisation on the latest iPhones is so good, it's nearly a gimbal-killer, except for extreme cases (video shoot while running). and the audio recording quality is better than ever.

but seriously, what camera will you use?

if you can afford a little, i'd recommend the LumaFusion app for iOS, ideally used on an iPad. it's the best video editor for iOS—you can do much more than zoom in and out. :D it's not quite FinalCut Pro X, which requires a Mac anyway. besides FCP X costs 10x LumaFusion. disclosure though, i only use FCP X on my Mac. but i've watched several youtube videos on LumaFusion to see if it's good enough as a FCP X replacement (yes for many edits, no for fancier effects).

for music, i usually pay a personal (non-commercial use) license for a few dollars. i have used audionetwork and audiojungle.net. there are newer ones too.

Dipp likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

4. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

Music - garageband - apple loops :)

5. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

@rbenzon: Thanks for the tips! Will be getting the new Pro Max, but will get mine late November, so I guess I have enough time to learn how to use it. Thanks for sites for music, definitely don't mind paying for it so we can upload it.

@ice : We're going super low budget, we're just using our phone cams, and just combining pics and videos, nothing fancy. I'll see if I can borrow a gimbal though. Thanks for the link on royaltyfree music!

@Dipp : Thanks for the tip on Apple loop! That should work, too!

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^eto pa. same day edits are possible because of all the pre-production planning. many same-day producers already have a set storyboard, and shot list. likely, the editor already has a draft project timeline, with music-aligned placeholders where shots (in the shot list) will be placed.

the story and the planning/preparation are more important than the technical aspects—especially since shooting with phones constrains many technical aspects, especially dynamic range and depth of field—which are some of the key technical elements of a "cinematic" look.

ideally, you'll have a team of three: A-roll, B-roll, and editor. if you use more than one camera, using the same brand would be ideal because each camera/phone records/renders color differently. some people (like me) can tell; some can't. would also be better if the phones record to the same cloud account, and if the editor has access to the cloud videos—less time lost transferring files. for instance, photos/videos i take on my iPhone are instantly available on my iPad, so no downtime in wired file transfers. if available, AirDrop's fairly fast too, unless you shot 4K files.

that said, stay close to a "same day workflow"—outline your story, make a shot list, create a draft video with the chosen music, and use static images and/or test footage (use colleagues to act out parts, so you can test different framing, POVs, movements, etc.) as placeholders for your draft edit. then on d-day, use actual footage to replace your placeholders.

your #1 constraint on d-day is time, so spend more time before it. :)

raze19, Dipp, imart and 1 other person like this.