iMovie HD 6 Question...

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by imperialv, Jan 26, 2009.

1. imperialv

imperialv Member

Hi Guys,

I would like to try iMovie HD6, if I download the program, would this be a trial version?

2. imabs

imabs Active Member

yup. trial version from Apple.com

3. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Nope, it'll be a full version as long as you have iLife '08 installed.

Download it here and enjoy!

I have it, just for keeps. Hehe

4. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

Based on the Apple website, I don't think this is a trial version. However, you need to have purchased and installed iLife '08 before you can actually install/use this version. iMovie HD 6 is actually the version of iMovie that was included in iLife '06.

5. ericklirios

ericklirios Member

It's definitely not a trial version. Reaction against iMovie 08 was so severe (its interface looking amateurish, some features being absent, etc.) that Apple decided that it should make iMovie 06 HD available as a free download.

Have fun! There are actually free plugins available on the Net for it and some people have actually gotten good results (read: pro-level) from iMovie. It's an excellent way to get your feet wet in video production without having to shell out cash and do anything illegal.

Erick

6. imperialv

imperialv Member

I have an iLife'08. Do I need to register it in order to have the full trial?

7. imperialv

imperialv Member

The link is not available already.. Is it possible to copy from fellow muggers.. or this is a violation of copyright/??/

8. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

The link was still active a couple of days ago. I checked just now, and you're right, it's no longer active. The only active links are the updates to iMovie HD 6. You can try downloading one of them, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

One possible reason why the link was taken down is because iLife '09 is now (almost) out. Since iLife '09 supposedly addresses the issues raised by users regarding the version of iMovie included in iLife '08, iMovie HD 6 is no longer necessary.

As for copying from fellow muggers or from anyone for that matter, yes, I think it is a violation of copyright.

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's not a violation of copyright if they also have iLife 08' installed, besides, I think the software will first check if you have iLife 08 before agreeing to install..

10. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

hi. may i know which particular plugins you were referring to? i'd like to take a look at these. thanks!

11. ericklirios

ericklirios Member

Hi!

For starters, you can go to: http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/osx_software/FreePlugins/FreeImoviePlugins.shtml. You can actually do a search of "imovie plugins" and it'll give you some good places to start with. Some people here have suggested a Picture-in-picture plug-in. Haven't tried it extensively yet though. There's another thread here that deals with that. Regarding the people who've gotten professional results with it, that's something I read in one of my older Mac magazines (around 2006 I believe). I try looking for it.

12. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Yikes! The link is no longer available! Wow!
    If any of you want the .dmg, let me know.
    We can iDisk or getdropbox it--if that's legal.

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@ricpac: No it's not legal.

14. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

i just learned using iMovie 08,(thanks to lynda.com) and i come up with this video.. uploaded it on youtube using imovie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdINFFYfnWM

i love the simplicity, but i think Finalcut Pro offers much more creative opportunity..
    i dont know how iMovie HD6 is a better choice, havent tried it yet..

15. imperialv

imperialv Member

Luckily, i was able to download the file even if the link is not available. The safari just continued my previous download.

16. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Roger that Mod Raf!

17. avatar

hi sorry to revive an old thread but i downloaded imovie hd 6.0.2 but it wouldn't work because apparently i need the version1 since it's just an update.

i learned that imovie hd is not been in existence since ilife '06. i wonder if imovie HD is actually better than the latest imovie.

18. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

IMHO, the latest iMovie (iLife 11) is so much better than iMovie HD (iLife 06). However, some old macs are not qualified to run the iMovie app of iLife 08, 09 & 11, and that's why you'll need iMovie HD (iLife 06). The catch is you can only install iMovie HD if you are using iLife 08, the later iLife versions won't allow you to install it (it was a sort-of transition period back then, as iMovie fans didn't like the iMovie of iLife 08 and clamored for the old one, and so Apple re-released iMovie HD).

So if you have an old mac, revert back to iLife 08 to be able to install iMovie HD (just google where to download it). If you have a newer mac, go for iLife 11, the iMovie app there is the best version so far...