iMacs and AVR (Auto Voltrage Regulator)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by itgbkj, Dec 28, 2010.

1. itgbkj

itgbkj Member

Would like to ask if your iMac is plugged-in to an AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator) with the Surge Protector (power strip) as well.

There's a similar post, but it's not exclusive to my inquiry.
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=40091

In that post, it says that Macs have mini-AVR built-in.

I'd like to hear your set-up. Please mention brand / rating you are using for your AVR too?

2. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

You may want to invest in a UPS. I personally use this for my iMac.

3. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 on the UPS

4. itgbkj

itgbkj Member

I only wish I can have the stretch for the budget, but I don't really need to save anything before the power failure hits. Thus, I'm just going after that protects the hardware.

Downside of UPS is you'll need to change batteries once they've reached life.

Anyway, going back, AVR and iMacs anyone? Or rather, No AVR and iMacs! :)

5. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I use an APC UPS for my iMac. A mac technician told me UPS are not only for brownout protection. Sometimes lightning can cause power spikes and these spikes may cause damage to the power supply of our macs. Also our electricity fluctuates daily but we don't notice this thru our naked eye. Sometimes my UPS would switch to battery power for a split second and goes back to normal electrical power. This must be the fluctation.

6. hearken

hearken Member

may i ask where you got your APC UPS?

7. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Hearken

I bought my APC from PC Options in Gilmore Ave Q.C. There are only 3 computer shops there that I know carry in stock in their bodega an almost complete models of APC UPS from the entry level model up to the high end heavy duty UPS for you to choose. So far upon canvassing, PC Options has the lowest prices. Most stores only carry the entry level model and concerning higher end models, they are only available thru special order. You may also try asking some Apple resellers like Liteware or Senco Link if they offer APC but I think this is only available via special order.

8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i have both the AVR & surge protector. I'm not home yet, will check the brands later. i have a 2 year old iMac & it seems to be just fine with the set up

9. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

FYI: AVR is for protection on your hardware inside your imac. but how about the things you need to save if power interruption occur while you're in the middle of finishing touches or last words. I use APOLLO ups for only PHP 1,300.00 good to last for 3 years. just needs to drain it for maintenance. say, use a lamp with high consumption to drain it.:redface:

#9 tabsweet, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  10. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

We use the very same model for our desktop Macs. I think this can be purchased for 3K php in places like Silicon Valley which is not so bad considering that dirty power and power loss can really destroy your Mac. In fact it saved us from expensive repairs plenty of times during power outages. To compare we had one Mac Mini which was not plugged to a UPS (an oversight) and after a year it needed to be brought and repaired because of a faulty hard disk. (caused by improper shut down due to sudden loss of power)

I believe we have a few cases here where the poor Philmugger's Mac's logicboard was broken because of plugging the Mac directly without protection. (Haha sounds like I'm talking about contraceptives.)

11. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

UPS protection confirmed here too. We have 3 UPS APC ES500 sent for repair - damaged by outages. UPS damage better than losing our Macs...

12. quasar

quasar Active Member

My iMac, AEBS and printer are protected by an AVR from Villman and a surge protector from Omni.

13. cool_assassin

cool_assassin Member

I use a "vintage" Stac Automatic AC Voltage Regulator for our iMac which my dad used for decades when he's still working abroad.. It still works well I think.. :)

#13 cool_assassin, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  14. itgbkj

itgbkj Member

Hi Tabsweet, not really worried about loosing power and loss of data because it was not saved. Maybe when I do have a concern on critical data and must-saves, I'll go back to this thread and get the best UPS based on feedback. Thanks!

But still, looking for that AVR.

CDR-King, Villman, and others have low-priced AVRs avaialble (like 300-1000 pesos), but again, kakatakot. Not sure if they deliver quality. If one invests on the known brands, it shoots up to 2K and pataas.

I guess, what I'm asking is probably, anyone who bought low-cost AVRs - mapagkatiwalaan ba mga yun? Or better save-up and do Stac or Stavol?

Really, I'd love to invest on something expensive for the Mac. Pero budget constraints din po kasi. Hope you understand.

15. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

^better save up for stac and stavol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I sometimes would ask the sales staff or the store technician which UPS brands has the most number or returns or customer complains. One technician told me they had numerous returns or for warranty the brand Apollo. Though this may be an isolated case. And they recommend APC. There are also other cheap brands like Panther being sold by Ace hardware and Mitsui, a local brand. My friend has used Mitsui and so far he is satisfied with it's performance.

Another mac technician told me to also power protect the modem or router. Lightning and thunderstorms may cause damage to the modem thru "Power Spikes" and may also caused harm to the logicboard since the modem router is connected to the logicboard.

17. itgbkj

itgbkj Member

Thanks, MacSonic for the comprehensive reply on my inquiry. Will consider the brands you mentioned. hwag lang Apollo.

18. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

Has anyone here invested in the monster cable brand to protect your macs? A lot of people are pointing me to go buy the monster but it's too expensive. Just wondering if it's worth it

19. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

Well, if that's the case for me I wud save up and get the best and trusted brand in AVR. I am now thinking to get one also. I just don't know if that will be a redundancy. hehe
    Thanks anyways!
    Good luck on your decision!