iMac8,1 RAM Limit

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chax, Nov 3, 2010.

1. chax

chax Member

I have an iMac8,1 and im planning to upgrade my RAM, which currently has 2GB.

I've read somewhere online that some owners have successfully put in 6GB in the same model, which surpasses the known limit of 4GB.

Has anyone here in PhilMug done the same thing? your input will be a lot of help ;)

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

3. chax

chax Member

Nice info, Odysseus! Where do you plan to buy the extra 6GB of juice?

4. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

I just installed 2 more memory to my imac icore3
    my kit is 4gb (2 x 2gb) ddr3 1333, I ad up and installed 2 x 4gb ddr3 1333
    so in all I got 12gb. no issue so far. happy with it.
    i think as long as the specs are the same.

5. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

@chax and @ odysseus:

Been looking locally for a 4GB module (DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz DIMM) similar to what OWC is offering. No luck. If you get any leads, appreciate a heads up. Thanks guys!

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Your iMac is a newer model then the OP's iMac so his RAM limitations and requirements are different from yours.

7. tabsweet

tabsweet Member

yay! so sorry!

8. marielili

marielili New Member

Hi I also have an iMac 8,1 (early 2008) and I'm planning to upgrade the RAM (and possibly the processor?) Mine is currently 2GB, Intel Core 2 Duo and I would also love to know its limit.

Btw, where do you guys usually get this stuff and how do you know if it's compatible? I'm not really good w/ the technical stuff, sorry :-/

9. chax

chax Member

@rg0nzales, yeah it's pretty hard to find that kind of RAM nowadays. probably because the technology is getting old hehe. DDR3 is more common.

@tabsweet, thanks for the info though hehe. 12GB RAM is oh so suweeet.

@marielli, just online research - PhilMug, Google, Apple. the like ;D

10. Salaryman Ryan

Hi Marielili, you can upgrade the RAM up to 4 GBs easily (two pcs 2Gb modules), and if you can find a one 4GB module (which are still rare and expensive), you can maximize your RAM up to 6 GBs (one 2GB module and one 4GB module) . Sadly you can't upgrade the processor because it is soldered permanently on the logic-board.

11. marielili

marielili New Member

Cool thanks :D I've been a member here way back but I haven't really posted. Haha. PhilMug's the best :p

Cool! Now I think I'm going to switch to the other thread on where to buy RAM, thanks again :D

Oh wait just a followup, I might be getting off topic a bit but here it goes: I was wondering, would it be better to simply upgrade my RAM, or should I just sell my iMac and buy a new one? Core 2 is decent enough but having an i7 processor would be nicer, since most of my work is making 2D and 3D stuff. Just wanted to know from those who are more knowledgeable on this stuff :)

12. mikepua

mikepua Member

thank goodness i found this thread. i have the exact same model of iMac (8,1) and am thinking of upgrading the RAM from 2 to 4GB.

anyone know where i can buy the RAM and have it installed? how much would it cost?

thanks!
    mike

13. chax

chax Member

hey mike, i dont think they are available locally anymore, plus the fact that these models are a bit outdated already. If you try backreading, here is the link: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo_PC2-6400

14. Salaryman Ryan

You can try a LF thread in the market place. Some people may have some RAM sitting in their closets.

Also upgrading RAM in the iMac is brain dead easy, you can do it yourself. However if you really want to do it the hard way, you can lug you iMac over to Digital Hub and they charge 600 Php for RAM installation. :)

15. tambartsg

tambartsg New Member

RAM limit for this model is 6gb. I just upgraded my iMac Model8,1 from 2gb to 6gb using OWC memory. I bought a paired unit (1 x 4gb) and (1 x 2gb) of DDR2 800mhz from OWC (USA) through international mail. The 6gb pair costs about $105 + $9 shipping. A 4gb pair would cost around $59 + $ shipping. Memory modules come with lifetime warranty. Shipping takes almost 2 months though.

I installed the memory of my IMac myself. OWC's website has instructional videos on how to install memories on all types of Apples machines. I also bought memory upgrades for my Macbook and Macmini and installed them myself. Memory for older models of Apple machines are generally more expensive than new ones.

You can also find memory modules such as Kingston, Micron, etc. in Amazon.com. However, Amazon has higher shipping rates. They do not state the compatibility of their memory with Apple machines. Memory from OWC is intended for Apple machines

16. chax

chax Member

cool! thanks tambartsg! now i wonder if it's cheaper to have it shipped straight to my place or via JAC? JAC charges per pound right? RAMs are just a few hundered grams..

17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Just like Salaryman said your iMac is different(11,2). Yours can handle up to 32G. But apple only says 16.

18. chax

chax Member

just ordered 6GB RAM for my imac8,1 from OWC! 2 month wait, here we go hehe

19. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Manilatech.net can get it for you. They offered me below:

Model ID: iMac8,1
    2.4GHz, 2.66GHz

1. OWC Memory 4.0GB 4.0GB PC6400 DDR2 = PHP5300.00
    2. OWC Memory 6.0GB 2.0GB + 4.0GB PC6400 DDR2= PHP6600.00

If you plan to add to the existing 2GB, we recommend Option number 2, the upgrade kit. Same brand is always preferred.

The price quoted is inclusive of shipping already. If ok, kindly get back to us via email so we can order the kit for you.

20. chax

chax Member

Gah. I purchased them online just now 0_o Sayang. Well, next time I will look into your site :)