iMac with NAS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kkk3, Nov 21, 2015.

1. kkk3

kkk3 New Member

good day.

planning to use a NAS with my iMac to serve as our main server. we are hoping to send the files to 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, and 4 TVs. we also want to use the NAS as back up.

any suggestions - brand of NAS, size of HD, software, configuration, etc.

mods, if this is the wrong thread, kindly transfer to the proper discussion.

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

There's a discussion about that. But to answer that, Synology seems to be popular for the DSM or disk station manager.

3. kkk3

kkk3 New Member

Juice, salamat....

4. alfa

alfa Member

I have been using a QNAP NAS for the last 3 years. Whatever NAS you get try to get the Western Digital RED HD or the equivalent of other brands. Make sure you get a NAS with a GIGAlan. The higher the NAS processor the faster it will be. There are other btrnads but QNAP and SINOLOGY are quite famous.

If the data is very important get at least a 2 bay NAS so that you can do RAID

5. zChris

zChris Active Member

What exactly will the iMac do as your "main server"? I have a Synology and the NAS actually acts as the server already. I have a bunch of apps running on the NAS that handle and serve my media, home surveillance system, etc.

If you are willing to spend the money, I would suggest at least a 4 bay NAS for more flexibility as your data requirements grow. The 415play or the 415+ is pretty good. Note that these both have Intel CPUs, which is what you will probably want.