iMac wirless keyboard not working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BerrySwirl, Aug 6, 2013.

1. BerrySwirl

BerrySwirl New Member

keyboard was working, ive never had a problem with it. i shut the computer down, moved it to another room and when i powered it on the keyboard went haywire. qwerty row, f1-f12, capslock,shift and a few others not working. my search shows a long standing problem going back to 2006 with many suggestions to "maybe" fix it but no one seems to know what the problem actually is,including apple, so they say. i have tried everything,mouse keys,speech, new user,re-pairing,removing plist files,downloading keyboard update from apple which turned out to be an older version than whats already in my system, go figure.all to no avail. at this point i cant even do reinstall of the OS, i upgraded to lion with a current update of 10.7.5(a long time ago so thats not the problem)which has an internal reinstall system and the 'R' is needed upon booting and thats one of the keys not working. i dont want to buy a new keyboard as i have seen posts from others it didnt help. im at a complete loss as what to do.

does anyone know what this problem is or have a suggestion other than the things ive done?

2. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Don't have a wireless keyboard, but whenever my other Bluetooth devices go haywire I either restart the device or repair it or take the batteries out for awhile. Don't know if their is physical switch to turn the keyboard on/off try taking the batteries out then pair it up again.

Also there are a lot of cheap USB keyboards out there, they don't have to made by apple to work, they just do for things like wonky Bluetooth.

Hope this helps!

...Scenarios like this is why I don't like to have "wireless keyboards/mice"

3. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

If only parts of the wireless KB aren't working but most keys are working, then it is a KB problem. This also happens with wired KB and I have encountered this before on several occasions.

4. BerrySwirl

BerrySwirl New Member

THANKS, as stated i re-paired and all that. its a problem way beyond the simple.

5. BerrySwirl

BerrySwirl New Member

Thanks, i have seen this problem on numerous posts for years and many people saying new keyboard wired and wireless problem still there. in your case did you buy a new keyboard every time?

6. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

yup, I don't think KBs are repairable economically, so I just toss the defective one and buy a replacement. Just be thankful that your KB isnt attached to a macbook as replacement would cost you more than a BT KB

7. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

help, I spilled coffee on my Apple Wireless KB and the keys from Q-O are not working anymore. Any solution on this?

8. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

if a particular key is not working, then it's a sign to replace it. I had mine replaced at BTB greenhills (under warranty).

9. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

I think it's not covered by warranty if due to negligence. Get a replacement from BTB for special discount. Prepare +3k bucks.

10. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

oh that's dead... same thing happened to my wife's keyboard - she wiped it with a wet cloth (not squeezed enough), excess water was squeezed on it when she wiped it. At first, it was just some keys that were not working... after some time, it went dead.

consider getting a Mechanical Keyboard - you wont regret it and it will ease the pain of losing your Apple Keyboard :)

11. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

I'm so happy. My wireless keyboard is working again. All keys are working except the volume down.

What i did was I soaked the KB on a pail of a medium hot water to dissolve the dried and accumulated 3in1 coffee for 1 hour. Then dried it off using a hair drier for 5 mins on and off. Then air dried for 2 days and hair drier again for 2 mins. Placed the batteries and it's back to life! ;)

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I second this, I believe that everyone should at least experience typing on a good mechanical keyboard. However it might not be for everyone because these things are expensive and not that easy to purchase locally. The two most popular mainstream mechanical keyboards with Mac layouts Das and Matias average about 130 USD and as far as I know, there are no local distributors so you need to import them from abroad.

13. cybersniper

^yep it's more expensive than regular dome keyboards (but I'd say it's worth it and it should last you decades)... but it's widely available nowadays. Thanks to DataBlitz - there are lots of branches in major malls and they carry good brands of mech keyboards like Filco, Logitech and Das Keyboard.. Some branches even have HappyHacking Keyboard (HHKB) and Poker II's I think. - they have Razer MKBs too but Razer is a joke. - it aint a good brand. :)

14. Salaryman Ryan

Wow thats news to me, I'm going to check DataBlitz out. Thanks for the heads up! From what I know, Filco does not have a Mac specific layout so you may need to do some keyboard remapping and keycap changes - if you can find Mac specific keycaps, that is. I'm sure the Razer Black-Widow Ultimate does have a Mac version but is not available everywhere I asked. I think the board is slick with backlighting and all so I did some digging online for reviews and discovered that Razer's OEM is iOne - a manufacturer with a less stellar reputation among keyboard geeks. The reviews do reflect the poor quality with many reviews complaining about the Black Widows breaking down after extensive use, just check Amazon.

The main reason I went through the trouble importing the Mac Das was because the OEM of the Mac specific model is Costar. A very good keyboard manufacturer according to its online reputation. The Das has been with me for two years now and I'm very happy with it!

Could you confirm if the version of the Happy Hacking Keyboard sold in Datablitz is the Pro 2 or lite? Because I'm really intrigued with the pro version as its considered the pinnacle of many keyboard enthusiasts. You know PBT keycaps, Topre switches, beautiful (at least for me because it reminds me of the original Macintosh keyboard), Mac support, and made in Japan - the works. My concern is 250 USD for the privilege maybe a bit too much for a kb with a odd layout (no arrow keys, no caps lock, no number pad, fn key located at odd angle, ctrl and tab switched). If I'm going to buy it I would prefer to try it out first.

#14 Salaryman Ryan, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

Sir, Do you have any idea on the price range of the mech keyboards sold at Datablitz? and what brand do you recommend?

16. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Anywhere from P4k to P8k, depending on the brand and model.

17. Salaryman Ryan

Most of the mechanical keyboards should be a step up from the default Apple chiclet keyboard.

If they carry the Mac version of the Das Model S Professional I recommend that. Very good build quality, Mac layout (with only minor differences), durable, very tactile (blue Cherry switches) and looks good with current desktop Macs. It even has a powered USB hub but occupies two USB sockets. I'm a heavy typist who wore out my Apple keyboards in just a year but my Das still works perfect for two years counting - these things should last me another 5 or so. The only weird thing about it is that it take two USB ports to give juice to its powered USB hub.

IF you can live with a PC layout, Filco keyboards are highly regarded too. You can just use a keyboard mapping app like Karabiner/KeyRemap4MacBook to fix the layout.

Do take note that these mechanical keyboards, even the quiet versions, can be really noisy. If you share a room or office space with someone it might annoy them to death. Haha

18. cybersniper

@Ryan

I believe the HHKB I saw before was a Pro 2 - it's being sold for 13K.

RE: the layout, you dont really need a remapping app for it... you can switch the ALT (Option) key and the Command (OS Key) via System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys.

That's what I did with my Majestouch 2 Ninja - happy camper here :)

I also saw a Das Keyboard with a Mac Layout - 9K+ - forgot the branch where I saw it...

I saw these a few months ago, perhaps DataBlitz was sort of testing the waters (the market)... I'm just not sure if they still have these Hi-End boards - which has a very low demand here.

@julmercado

prices range from as low as 4K to as high as 13K... You can get a decent one at 6K-.

Your best bet would be Filco... it's a no BS board and it's built like a tank.

btw, do not get a Mech Board with backlights... if one or some of those dies, it's gonna be a headache :) - and it seems like this is really bound to happen.

and the most important part, if you're getting a Cherry MX switched board (most prominent) - study the different characteristics of each switch first... and choose the switch that would best suit you.

Here's mine with a 3rd party set of keys (sorry for the crappy pic):

[​IMG]

19. Salaryman Ryan

Beautiful keyboard Cypersniper. Love the two tone layout. What kind of keycaps did you use? Are those PBT keycaps?

20. cybersniper

nopes - those are just ABS keycaps (but they feel like PBT - the texture of it) - however, they are DoubleShot :) -- I bought this set from DataBlitz as well. - Megamall branch has PBT sets but I dont like the colors - i.e. red on white, blue on white, orange on white etc.

good PBT caps are really hard to find locally... my dream PBT caps would be a black on black set :)