iMac vs MB for Illustrators

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by grayse, Nov 26, 2018.

1. grayse

grayse New Member

Hey everyone! I’m new here and i wanted to seek advice.

I own a 2017 27 inch 5k retina iMac i7.
    It’s really great and amazing thats why i bought it and also because I thought I would be making animations in the long run, but as of the moment, that part hasn’t push through yet not even a bit lol. Then after a few months, I realised portability is equally important too.

My work are mostly 2d assets illustrations for mobile games using Photoshop and Illustator and some painting illustrations on the side so I was thinking if it’s a good move to go MB or MB Pro instead?

I’m thinking of getting MB Pro i7. Does anyone have an opinion if an MB Pro i7 is okay for the kind of work I do? Or if MB Pro i5 would suffice too. Also, i love the huge screen of my iMac, one of the reasons i bought mine. I know MB is a huge downgrade from imac in terms of screen size, but i would like to hear opinions if 15 and 13 inch have huge difference? I personally am aiming for the 15 inch but if the 13 inch would suffice (and dont have that huge difference from the 15) i would get that too, cheaper right?

I would appreciate every opinion :)

2. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Just this year, I went from a 15 inch -> 12 inch -> 13 inch -> 15 inch. Once you go 15, you can't go back. That's my personal preference. But my personal preference is different from what I think might be the ideal setup for most people like you.

Once upon a time I used to use Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere. There's a significant performance difference between 15 and 13, esp with the discrete GPU. But since portability is your main concern, as well as just focused on using illustrator/photoshop, I recommend going for the 2018 13 inch models. Just make sure you jump for 16GB of ram, it's a huge performance boost. CPU isn't so impt for Photoshop/Illustrator work. For video work, it helps though. With the money you save by getting a 13 inch instead of 15 inch, you can get a portable external monitor. I recommend the Asus Zenscreen MB16AC. Got mine locally for around 16k from Villman. Perfect portable workstation. 2 screens > 1 15inch (I have the best of both worlds tho..15 inch plus the external hehe)

grayse and jayparalejas like this.
  3. grayse

grayse New Member

Thanks a bunch! :) Yeah I've learned that AI and PSD are more ram hungry applications. If i go for older versions of MB Pro, is that fine to purchase too? 2018 models are those with touch bar i think and I've read that those functions isn't really that big of a significance. Saving extra cash from those, I can get a bigger external monitor xD

4. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

So that means 2015 versions ya? Mmm..IMO they're still priced too high for a 3 year old model. 2016 onwards have the TB. I guess for your use case the non-tb should suffice as long as you upgrade the ram to 16gb. BUT...it only has 2 ports. Not sure if that's a dealbreaker for you—it was for me.

You can also try scouring around for second hand 2017 15 inch models. If you're lucky you can get one in the 90's range..which is about how much you'll spend for a BTO 13 inch with 16 gb of ram.