iMac smoke / smudge / dirty LCD problem - SOLUTION

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smokinpope, Mar 14, 2011.

1. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

I have my iMac since last October 2011. No signs of any smudge or whatsover. Does this smudge problem affects ALL iMac or just some? I might got a good iMac. :D

2. reclamation

reclamation Member

I went to power mac center sm megamall yesterday, I noticed that their displays of imac also have smudge/ lcd problem.:(

3. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

i also have this hardware problem. it is really annoying especially when im doing some photoshop work.
    its on the upper right corner and it is really noticeable.

i am planning to bring this to an authorize service center near global city, pero im not sure kung meron malapit.

i lost the receipt. i hope they will still accept my unit. the unit is less than a year old.

it looks like this picture but worse.

[​IMG]

i saw this video in youtube. looks like a lot of work. anyone tried this before?

[video=youtube_share;P70WzU0ABBs]http://youtu.be/P70WzU0ABBs[/video]

#163 dlsa0218, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. redballpen

redballpen Member

Does anybody know a place, outside of apple service centers, where imacs with this problem can be serviced? Somewhere in Greenhills perhaps?

I remember seeing one or two instances where I would walk past a computer repair shop in some mall or commercial center - couldn't remember where exactly - that had a technician facing an opened up apple laptop, so maybe theses places could work on imacs as well. Has anyone tried asking?

5. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Even if you lost your receipt, the Apple Service will just ask for your unit's serial number if you still have warranty or AppleCare.

6. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I am not sure if there are non-Apple Service Centers in Greenhills who do glass screen replacements for iMacs other than Digital Hub or iStudio. As far as I know, the replacement parts need to ordered from Apple Singapore. And Apple does not entertain or do transactions with non-Apple Resellers or Service Centers. If your unit is still under warranty, there is also a risk of voiding it if the unit is opened or repaired by a store not authorized by Apple. Repairs are usually closely monitored by Apple Singapore like parts numbers has to match and the Manila Apple service centers files a report on every repair made for record purposes.

7. redballpen

redballpen Member

Actually, I was just hoping to locate a non-apple service center that could clean behind the LCD and not really replace any part of the machine. Probably the same thing as the video that was posted above of a guy disassembling his iMac, which I'm pretty sure 99% of us can't do that :p

8. RastaSega

RastaSega Member

this is why every imac owner needs to get an applecare.

9. blacklizted

blacklizted Member

I just got my iMac back. Sw!tch replaced the LCD. ^_^ Now I have 1 more month to save and extend my warranty.

10. Dethro

Dethro Member

-edited :)

#170 Dethro, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

you could have PM'ed him bro... I'm sure you don't want his username to be ironic to you :)

12. Dethro

Dethro Member

thanks cybersniper :)

13. macbookproi5

macbookproi5 Member

It's a good thing I read this. This is the only drawback with the Imac if I'm not mistaken.

14. cocoyponce

cocoyponce Member

Hi Bro, how many days/week did it took for the replacement?

15. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

As far as I know around 2-3 weeks as the service center will need to order the replacement and wait for the shipment.

16. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Woah this is not for the faint of heart. My mid 2011 iMac has this smudge problem. but more on the corners. so not really on the view. I learned to live with it.

Haha. Someday when I gathered the strength to try this out. I will. Hahhaha.

17. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Re: Cleaning dust inside the iMac LCD and on backlights.

This doesn't work. Mine is also like that. It's not dirt. It's burnt LcD. I took it for replacement one time while its under warranty. But after a few months of usage, problem came back. So I just learn to live with it

18. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

hahaha... it's NOT burnt LCD. It's dust - in between the lcd panel and the backlight panel.

The guy on the video did it right. But here is a better one.

That's the one I followed... and yeah it worked! - no more smudge on my iMac.

---

Things you need:

- Suction Cup / Glass Lifter
    - Torx Screwdrivers
    - Philips Screwdriver
    - Flat Scewdriver (for prying)
    - Foil Tape
    - Double sided tape
    - Microfiber Cloth
    - Compressed Air (Optional)
    - Time
    - Patience