iMac smoke / smudge / dirty LCD problem - SOLUTION

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smokinpope, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blacklizted

blacklizted Member

Thanks for the info.

2. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Just noticed that my imac late 2009 has a 2 line smudge upper right almost to the corner. Can I send this to DH and have it replaced? it is still under APP

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes! You can! :)

4. Salaryman Ryan

5. Dxtrman

Dxtrman Member

Boy oh boy! I got tiny gray spot on my Imac too. Tsk!

This thread is very helpful. Thanks guys!

6. lomster

lomster Member

Any of you guys have any idea which shop can offer the fastest service? I have 3 imacs here in the office I work for and all 3 imacs are showing the LCD smoke problem.

The warranty for all the imacs are on December 16, 2011 but sending the imacs to apple customer service for 2 weeks or more is just not feasible because we don't have extra imacs to work with.

Is there an apple customer service center that can do the cleaning or changing of the lcd in 2 to 3 days?

7. Salaryman Ryan

Hmm, Digital Hub seems to have the fastest turn around in my opinion BUT they are still dependent on the delivery and custom clearance of the LCD panel that will be delivered from from Apple Asia abroad. In my experience (I have taken 5 iMacs and an 24 inch Apple Cinema to the shop to have their display replaced) expect a minimum of two weeks or more downtime. :(

8. jcruiz

jcruiz Member

can't i just show them my lcd and have them order it and i'll just comeback when they have my lcd on hand? hard thing not to have a computer for two weeks.

9. topaz

topaz Active Member

Sure,

That's what Senco did with my 27" iMac; they just took pictures of the LCD; brought my iMac home and brought it back when LCD arrived after a week.

10. paul_s

paul_s Member

Same here. I brought it first for inspection, then brought it back after the parts were already available (in my case it took two weeks). Then it took them 1.5 days for the installation.

I just got my 21.5 inch iMac 2011 today and it looks good as new. I can now go back to using white wallpapers. Haha. Look ma, no more smudges! :)

11. paul_s

paul_s Member

To lomster: I suggest you bring your iMacs immediately to a service center before the warranty expires or at least get extended warranty.

I just noticed that the LCD replacement cost in the receipt I got was a whopping 38k pesos. So better have the LCD replaced while your iMacs are still under warranty.

12. lomster

lomster Member

Thanks for the heads up. Saan yung Senco? Can I do the same sa digital hub? since my imacs are brought from there?

13. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

Its better to bring it to Digital Hub since that is where you bought it. They have an exellent aftersales service.

14. jayps

jayps New Member

Early on, the late 2009 27" i5 I purchased early 2010 started to accumulate smudge marks that originated from the upper left hand corner then proceeded to spread to the upper right side, though it didn't become as pronounced as the one on the left. The nice thing is the spread seems to have stopped at a point in which I felt I didn't have to take it in for servicing just yet. Before the warranty expired early this year, I purchased apple care so incase the problem worsens, I have a couple of years to take it in for replacing. Hopefully, they still work out a fix for this problem. I read that others are on their 2nd or 3rd replacements.

I'm sorry if I didn't get to back read about a fix if it's been posted already.

15. kako

kako New Member

Apple just replaced my iMac for the 2nd time around because of this display problem. They said that this is the last time they will replace the unit and will no longer replace the display if the issue occurs again....

16. John H

John H Member

They make it sound like it is the customer's fault. Appalling, considering this is clearly a chronic factory defect (or design fla, whatever). I finally got my 27" iMac display replaced but also received the same warning as you. As much as I enjoy Apple products, there are aspects of their service that I do not savor.

17. paul_s

paul_s Member

This is very unfortunate. Can't you just take it to a different service center next time it happens again? Or was it Apple SG which issued the statement?

18. kako

kako New Member

It was Apple South Asia Pty. that gave the message. It's super dismaying, in addition to that. Before the customer relations team decided to change the unit, their engineers advised me to take it to a service center where they will take out the LED display panel, open it up by dissecting the panel and try to clean the panel inside. This was the ridiculous advise they gave me as it voids all sorts of warranties. That's the reason why the relations team decided to change my unit with conditions.

19. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Phil. Bantay, a consumer rights blog, posted a story about this problem. No new information on the blog but I'm glad people are getting the word out. My iMac is a pleasure to work on, but I think I and many other owners deserve an apology and a free, permanent fix.

http://philbantay.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/one-rotten-apple/

20. kako

kako New Member

Yeah, it is a pleasure to work on unfortunately the flaw just makes it so annoying to use, especially if you're reading against a white or any solid colored background (except black) or when you're doing some graphics work.

I really hope Apple fixes this and admit to the problem and not blame it on the environment. If they keep blaming the environment then it shouldn't be allowed to be sold in places where they claim an environmental issue.