iMac smoke / smudge / dirty LCD problem - SOLUTION

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smokinpope, Mar 14, 2011.

1. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Cleaning dust inside the iMac LCD and on backlights.

Hello friends,

It seems that dust inside the LCD and on the backlights is a widespread problem. From the thousands of posts on Apple Support and the numerous YouTube videos, this could be a design defect!

There seems to be no solution but to pry open the LCD and directly clean the insides and backlights. See this guide:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11976152&posted=1#post11976152

This requires a lot of guts! Which I don't have! Does anyone know of a shop or Apple repair center who will clean INSIDE my iMac 21.5 LCD?

This iMac is my first Mac and it is a charm to work on. But this dust defect is truly disappointing. :(

2. John H

John H Member

Re: Cleaning dust inside the iMac LCD and on backlights.

My 27 iMac has a small smudge on the upper right corner, I'm planning to take it to a service center someday and I know they will replace it but I have always wondered if I can clean it myself when the warranty is gone. Hmm this is interesting. If this is not indeed screen burning but simply small particles of dust getting stuck behind the LCD itself then it can be fixed even when the iMac is out of warranty. This is good news. I'm looking forward now to this guy's photo tutorial.

3. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Suction Cups. - all you need.

4. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Yup! I eagerly await his photo tutorial. By the way, I'd really appreciate it if you inform me if the repair center replaced your LCD or cleaned the dust themselves. If they can do the latter, I don't mind paying to have them remove the dust from mine.

@Cybersniper - Suction cups will allow you to remove the glass cover. But our dust is not inside the glass cover but inside the LCD panel itself.

5. John H

John H Member

The smudges are behind the LCD not the glass. Read before you react.

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I believe what @cybersniper means is that you need suction cups to remove the glass AS A FIRST STEP before you can unscrew the LCD panel from its mooring. Let's broaden our understanding of contexts, given that this is a text-based discourse and not a face-to-face discussion.

Now, suction cups — I read that you can pry the glass from the aluminum frame with a carefully placed fingernail. I tried just now and I failed; I guess my nails are too short or my patience and commitment are lacking.

7. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

anyone that does this for a fee? my brothers imac 27 has this and it bothers me to see the screen with the dirt on

8. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Even the display 27-inch iMac in the Bonifacio High Street Apple store has a gray smudge! Come on Apple! Do us right and admit the design flaw!

[​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

9. zcons

zcons New Member

this is disappointing as i am planning to get an iMac.

to the iMac owners:
    how long from the day you purchased the unit before the dust / smudge become noticeable? does it usually come out within the warranty period?

thanks.

10. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My iMac turned a year last December. It has no smudges or trapped dirt inside the LCD or behind the glass at all.

11. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

I purchased my iMac December 2009 and first noticed smudges early February this year. If you research on the Apple support forums and on YouTube, you'll read that some 27" iMacs develop smudges in as little as 3 months. Apple's excuse is that users smoke around their iMacs or use them in dirty environments. However, many Apple support forum posters retort that they use their smudged iMacs in clean, smoke-free environments. I strongly feel that this is a design flaw. The cooling system, which draws air from the bottom and blows it out through the slit behind top, is forcing dust into the LCD panel. The amount of dust may be minute but builds over time. I suggest you wait and see if the new generation iMacs develop smudges too. Because of their powerful fan, 27s are more prone but 21.5s can be affected too.

12. chax

chax Member

i got dust in my imac8,1 also. but i don't think it's a design flaw. it may just depend on where your imac is placed. i got my imac in my room with two large windows open all day where getting dust is quite inevitable.

i already had it "serviced" under warranty at a designated apple reseller. took around two weeks before i got my imac back. after a few weeks, the dust were back. :/

13. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Hi Chax. Where did you have your iMac serviced? Did they replace your LCD panel or did they clean it? I'd like to have mine cleaned too.

I've read that old iMacs never suffered internal smudges despite being used in less than ideal environments. PCs can also withstand dust because their LCDs are separate and have no internal fans to suck in dust. If I have to use my iMac with windows closed and in a super-clean environment, that may not be a design flaw but it is definitely a major inconvenience and a step backward. Just my opinion folks.

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I spoke to both PowerMac and Digital Hub service center personnel and they told me that smudges are a common issue for glass iMacs. If you check the air vents of all recent iMacs (bottom grills and the circular vent at the back of the unit) they do not have any type of dust filter so dust and small particles can easily enter the units.

15. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Hi Ryan,

Can PowerMac and Digital Hub clean the smudges? I'm getting quite desperate.:eek:

16. Salaryman Ryan

Yes they can. I've sent my iMacs to them in separate occasions and they fixed the smudges. It usually involves a screen replacement.

#16 Salaryman Ryan, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Oh boy. My iMac is out of warranty. Replacement will be very expensive I'm sure.

18. smokinpope

smokinpope New Member

Take a look at these display iMacs at the Power Mac Center at Megamall. They are smudged terribly! The technicians at the store's service desk admitted that the "smoke" problem (they call it that) is very very common. What do they tell customers who are interested in these iMacs and see these smudges? Lies? SHAME ON APPLE! I really hope those disgruntled customers in the US get their lawsuit together. I wish we could do the same here.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 smokinpope, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  19. Salaryman Ryan

Yeah those look really bad. I'm surprised that they didn't even bothered to fix those. I also noticed that their 27 iMac in their Trinoma branch also have the same issues.

I currently have a 27 iMac myself and put some aircon filters on the vents that suck air in. I noticed that they collect a lot of dirt. I'll post photos later. :)

20. gracegal

gracegal Member

those smudges also appeared on my iMac a few months after I purchased it. at that time i thought I was the only one with that problem. but now at least I know it's an iMac issue.