iMAC or the New Mighty Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Devilgodspeed, Mar 14, 2011.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Mac mini should perform well with that much RAM.

2. Sh8ks

Sh8ks Member

Thanks sa info mga sirs

3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope they finally announce a new Mac Mini on October 23 or whenever Cupertino makes their big reveal. It's been a year and a quarter since the last Mac Mini!

4. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

aside from mac mini, i want also the imac to be refreshed.

5. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

I just bought a Mac mini from sir Charlie.. I'll use it as a server.. I'm planning to buy an iMac (for the kids) as soon as the ones with USB 3 is out.

6. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Specs wise, which is better 2nd hand mid2011 imac 21.5 in. or new mac mini(entry and i7)? Stock specs.

7. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

I still go for the mac mini late 2012 just maxed out the RAM to 16GB when you are planning to used it to edit photos on Lightroom/CS6.

Based on my research on other forums and reviews of primatelab geek bench the new iMac's without BTO its not that ideal still the non BTO mac mini cpu i7 2.3 GHZ late 2012 vMac Mini much faster than the iMac's i5 late 2012.

The only appealing was the looks,the display and the dedicated video card for editing video and games clutter free from cords when you own one of this 21 inch iMac late 2012 base models.

Another reason draws me back on buying new 21 inch iMac late 2012 is non user replaceable HD and RAM thats why I decided to get the Mac Mini i7 2.3 Ghz and bought a third party 16GB RAM to my pleasure.

Hope this helps. :)

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i am having this dilemma lately about getting the new mighty mac mini versus the old reliable imac, the very thin one of course, and i have based my decision on the fact that the former provides portability and convenience with the strength of the latter; therefore, i might just get that mini...

but the new dilemma i am facing now is: do i really need to get one?

9. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks sir skint and hitme64. :)
    I can't decide what to get, and same with sir hitme64 - do i really need it now. Coz i've been with this dilemma for about a year already and i'm able to live without that. :p but it surface again just because someone offered me their mid2011 21inch imac purchased june of 2011 for 40k. I can get a mac mini with that and i think its on a the high side.

10. jameschu

jameschu Member

Twice I contemplated on buying a Mac mini, I always end up buying the iMac.

11. rage30

rage30 Member

Which is cheaper? To buy an Imac 21 inch or mac mini and all the things that you will need to go with it? I only want to replace my windows desktop.

12. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Still the Mac Mini and a lot faster compare it with its geekbench for the default i5 iMac's CPU for i7 Mac Mini CPU. The New iMac will set a part to all line ups when you order the built to order to apple store which already cost an arm and a leg which in my analysis its to much for a computer not unless you used it for business like for a paid high client video editing, photography and advertising designs. In mac mini if you are not choosy with monitors like photo editors or video editors are using at 5 -6 k Philips monitors will do the job this is already have DVI port which most used to get clear crisp and vibrant colors which is supplied with DVI D cable when you buy new most of the time. If I were you the 2.3 ghz base model quadcore I7 or the BTO 2.6 ghz are sulit just maxed out the RAM at 16Gb if you plan to edit pictures on Photoshop. Then apple Keyboard and Apple Magic mouse for mac experience. Sir Charlie will give the best price for it when you buy them all to him including the accessories. Hope this helps

13. trademarkofmark

what could you say about video editing? an imac or a mac mini?

14. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Maxed out bto mini plus monitor of your choice for me is the best setup

15. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Hooked up my Mac mini to a 32inch LED TV. Di maganda quality. Is it because of the hdmi? pixelized screen and something like distorted lahat ng icons. Did I miss something, do i need to use the mini display port?

I think the tv doesn't have DVI. What do i need to do? firmware update?

Thanks

16. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

^for computer use, stretching out 1920x1080 on a 32" screen will definitely show pixels, that's why good 27 inchers have 2560x1440 resolution, even on my 23" 1080p display i notice low pixel density, watching movies should be fine though.

17. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi iJingo. Not sure if this is the cause of the sub par quality. Try checking the maximum native resolution of your 32" LED TV. And this also depends on the htmi cable you used to hook up your Mac Mini. If the cable is a "passive" cable, it will not Upsample or upgrade the resoution. Or you may need this adaptor Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Apple Store (Philippines) I was told by a Mac tech this Upsamples the resolution but I have not tried this so I am not sure if this solves the problem. One time I tried to connect a 26" Sony LCD TV to my Mac Pro using HDMI with a Belkin DVi to HDMI cable. The images and icons are fine but yielded a maximum resolution of only 1280x800. Video graphics and movies were of good quality. But as I was using HDMI for graphics and After Effects editing up close, it was a strain to the eye for long hours. I guess the computer monitor was still the best option.

18. iammarco

iammarco Member

Hi Sirs,

Planning to buy Mac Mini by end of this year or kapag nagrefresh. Few questions.
    1. Based from the above post, is it "choosy" in terms of hdmi cable? I'm planning to hook it up to my 46in led tv via hdmi for plex use(htpc)

2. Will my Samsung Smart TV keyboard work with the Mac Mini since it also connects via Bluetooth. It's a keyboard and trackpad combo.

Thanks in advance.

19. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

Try using the 1360x768 resolution, which is common in 32 inch LED TVs. That is my setting on my Mac Mini and my 32 inch. HDMI isn't the reason why it's pixelized. HTH.

20. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try.