iMAC or the New Mighty Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Devilgodspeed, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

Which is the better buy? Any comments and suggestions are most welcome and much appreciated so i can finally decide soon. Thanks to all.

2. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

3. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

i suggest that you get the more versatile macmini and be free to use a display as big as you want

4. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

Thats precisely what i'm thinking but after a test it at digital hub using its philips 42inch display via HDMI, i cant help but still look at the very beautiful and vibrant colors that the apple cinema display provides compared to the display on the HDTV.

Its really that feeling that when the display comes from a MAC, Mac talaga ang dating but when from other display source, wala lng parang hindi na ka MAC he he. . .

5. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

Well for the macmini, you should have 2 displays, one for browsing ( monitor ) and the bigger better 1080p dsiplay for watching .mkv files.

That's when you will truly appreciate the the mini monster.

6. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

The thing you need to consider is that the iMac actually has higher DPI than your standard 42" TV.

A 42" TV at 1080p has a resolution of 1920x1080. A 27" iMac has a whooping 2560 x 1440, almost double the the pixels of 1080p.

Leo

7. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

yes sir and aside from that, color gamut of Mac display are extremely better than other displays thats why i cant help but look at a Mac and appreciate the pictures on it.

8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The iMac is a better buy if you're going to buy a complete system anyway. The entry-level iMac will be close to the Mac mini's price once you add a comparable LCD display and a decent mouse and keyboard. Plus, the iMac will have a built-in iSight camera, better performance, and more memory.

Go with the Mac mini if you want to have more options when choosing your monitor, mouse, and keyboard. It's also a good choice if you want to get into the Mac experience without spending too much since it's the lowest priced Mac right now. Of course, if you're looking for an HTPC (home theater PC), the Mac mini is the only viable option.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, unless you get a good deal I suggest waiting for a month or two. :)

10. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

Actually i almost bought a Mac mini last Nov but changed my mind and just bought an MC375 for better resell value in the future.
    Problem is, i'm used to viewing and surfing the net via my 26inch Samsung T260HD via PC and i would want to use a Mac on this screen he he. . .

11. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

if you don't want to cough up for a replacement display at almost the same price as a brand new iMac, it is mandatory to get extended applecare.

12. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

I think the iMac just plain looks awesome :) hope to have someday when I start earning haha! :D

But seriously, the screen is hands down crisp and clear!

13. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I agree: wait for the next upgrade, get an iMac and an APP for it.

The Mac Mini, for it's price, lacks the complete Mac experience. I really wish the Mac Mini would revert to it's old base price of $499 or $599.

Show a PC user a Mac Mini with a non-Apple monitor, there is no wow factor to make them learn the Mac OS. With an iMac, they'll even eagerly show off their newly made iMovies and iPhoto slideshows.

14. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

Thats the main reason why i refrain myself from buying a Mac Mini last year. the mere fact that i didnt appreciate it much on the 42inch Philips display at digital hub ermita, while its looks extremely awesome on the 30inch apple cinema display.

15. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

do you buy stuff to "wow" others?

do you like apple peripherals?

do you want a minimalistic workstation?

^ if the answer to those are all "YES", then go for an iMac...

BUT, if you want "variety" then go for the MacMini... i.e. If you're like me who changes monitors twice year, wants a uniform dual display, hates Apple peripherals (I love Logitech Products), wants a larger screen (vs the 21" iMac), if you don't like "Whites" on top of your desk, then go for the MacMini...

RAMs could be easily upgraded for both of them... but upgrading the storage drive is a pain in the ass (goes for both).

any will do actually, as they can serve your computing needs very well.

16. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

Yes the versatility of the Mac Mini is impressive as we can take them anywhere becoz of its small size plus that fact that we can just use a monitor of various connectivity to hook up the PC via DVI, PS3 and Mac Mini via HDMI ports.
    Various sources to just 1 display.

17. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

As for the Mighty Mac Mini, w/c is better? the one w/o the optical drive or the the low end model w/ the optical drive?

18. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

I just wonder when they'll release the new ones. I feel like getting a mac desktop :)

19. Devilgodspeed

Devilgodspeed Member

from what i hear, the new mac mini will be released by 2012.

20. Ikon

Ikon Member

i hope not :D