iMac No Power

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andro.mi, Jun 30, 2019.

1. andro.mi

andro.mi New Member

Just new here. Maybe this topic is already discussed but im not able to see the thread. My iMac (21.5” late 2012 model) is dead. no power supply. there is always unsched brown out in my area lately and i usually dont turn off my pc. one day i cant turn it on. Already did the available suggestions online but to no avail. any thoughts? Any recommendation for service center (if any near Batangas area)? thank you in advance for your replies.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Had the same model and issue. Turned out my unit needed a battery replacement. After a year or so the same problem surfaced but that time the power supply unit needed replacement. Sourced the parts from ebay and installed them myself.

#2 makintosh, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, it’s dead. Long live the iMac.

4. andro.mi

andro.mi New Member

any recommendations? shops that i can bring my pc for check?

5. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ Don’t know any shop in Batangas. Nearest authorized service center in Metro Manila are those in Muntinlupa. Not sure though if they still service those models or have parts available.

I DIYd the repairs because the service cost alone then was quite high for my budget. Brought it in Greenhills but pulled out after losing confidence with the technicians I talked to. But thats just me.

Only thing I can think of if, I’m in your shoes, is find a 3rd party repair shop you can put your trust on or go the DIY route if you feel confident on your skills. If in doubt, google or youtube is your friend.

#5 makintosh, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  6. andro.mi

andro.mi New Member

Thanks for the reply. I really dont know how to fix it myself. My field is far from IT. Third party repair shop is hard to find here. How much it cost you sir? battery and power supply unit? Can you fix mine?

7. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Back then the battery was around 600 to 800 and the psu around 4500 if my memory serves me right. Not sure about prices now.

I can have a look at it if you can take it to my place in Pasig. We can extract files that you may have urgent need. However, I don’t have parts on stock to test. If say we buy a replacement psu and later find that there are other issues that prevent the unit from running or will require other parts that will cost you something close to that of the same working unit (such as a replacement logic board), we can’t return or refund the parts and you may end up spending more.

Anyhow, I can draw other options after actual diagnosis of the unit and find ways where you can save. In case budget is not an issue, I highly suggest getting a new or newer one. If it is or you’d like to consider a cheaper alternative, I might have one for you. PM me for details.

#7 makintosh, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. MBP2014

MBP2014 New Member

Hello Sir, Any update on the issue of this iMac 2012?

9. MBP2014

MBP2014 New Member

I have a power supply and Main Logic Board of iMac 21.5-inch Late 2012 .

MLB Spec: Logic Board, 2.7 GHZ, i5, QC,GK107GS, 512MB

Kindly PM for inquiry.