Imac newbie

Discussion in 'iMac' started by the_beams, Oct 3, 2012.

1. the_beams

the_beams Member

Good day folks! I'm a newbie to apple desktop.i own a 13 inch mac book pro. though i get to use mac pro in the office for video editing, i dunno that much about desktops. I'm a total zero when it comes to trouble shooting, telling the specs and set ups. I'm catching up.

I recently acquired a 2nd hand imac 27inches quadcore intel icore 5 from a good friend and it's only a few months old. the unit's in brand new condition but without a UPS. can you recommend an affordable UPS for me? and what are the implications of using my imac without any ups? any set up suggestions since i will use it heavily into video editing and guitar playing (garageband).

and last question, (knocking on wood) if ever something happens to the unit will Apple honor its limited warranty(depends of course on the problem) even if i bought it 2nd hand?

thanks a lot. and i enjoy reading threads here, very informative.

more power. :)

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

Hi,

sorry i can't recommend any UPS as I don't use one myself.

As for warranty, Apple will honor warranty regardless of if you bought it here or somewhere else or through other person as long as it is within the warranty period

HTH :)

3. the_beams

the_beams Member

thank you Sir.a couple of minutes ago, I was also told by a good forum member form philmusic.com that i mac would still run smoothly even without a ups though it's nice to have one. i'm thinking of getting an affordable one.

and thanks for the info about the warranty. :)

4. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Affordable... From what I've read some here are making use of the one by cdrking..

You can try Ace or True Value for other brands, last time i've been to Greenhills the selection doesn't give much.

Best in my opinion will always be APC! Prices vary between how much standby time it gives.

For warranty if it's still within a year I'd suggest getting Applecare so that the unit will be "officially yours" as to claiming there shouldn't be any problem as long as it's within the warranty period.

5. arubeto

arubeto Member

yes APC it is. been using it way back during my desktop PC days. I gave it to my cousin when all of us were using notebooks and I haven't heard any issues so far.

6. the_beams

the_beams Member

thanks for the tip mga Sir. hehe. this might sound stupid but what's an apc? terribly sorry for being a newbie. i tried googling it to no avail. mods and peeps please bear with me.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is what I use: APC Back UPS 650. Has enough power for your 27. Around 5k in the mall.

APC Back-UPS 650

8. the_beams

the_beams Member

thanks guys for lending a hand. appreciate it. thanks!thanks!:cool:

last question: is it okay to plug in a sun wireless broadband to my imac? i'm kinda hesitant to plug it. when i bought my macbook pro last year, I impulsively plugged a smart broadband and boom os failed to respond until i brought my laptop to powermac to fix it and a stuff recommended sun broadband.

upon googling stuff about this fear of plugging a broadband, i stumbled upon this site:

http://www.mactalk.com.au/28/30849-three-wireless-broadband-imac.html

your thoughts?

#8 the_beams, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012