iMac needs a new motherboard... replace it or buy a new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edsol, Oct 17, 2014.

1. edsol

edsol Member

My iMac late 2011 model crashed and according to technicians, it needs a new motherboard which is around 30k+. Although I have the money to buy a new one but in your opinion is it better to invest on a motherboard to replace the defective one and keep using my old imac or is it a better investment to buy a new imac maybe of the late 2013 model?

2. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

Buy a new one it comes with a 1 year apple warranty and you can extend it too. The replacement logic board might fail again and it will cost you a lot. Its better to sell it by parts

3. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

if your iMac model happens to be the 27-inch one with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor then you might not need to spend a single peso, please check the link below and check if your iMac is covered:

iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

if not then its the perfect reason to upgrade to the new 2014 models.

4. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

iMac with Retina Display na ito!

5. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Buy a new one, get the 5k display :)

6. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Unless they can give you a full year warranty on the part replaced but still there are other components that might fail and render the 30k useless:)

7. paul_s

paul_s Member

Unless you're highly into tinkering, I would suggest just buying a new one. If they are work computers, they should be thought of having 3-5 years average lifespan. After that, it would be hard to rely on them for your daily tasks due to "usually" higher system requirements of new software being released and possibly worn out parts.

Anyway, you can also try searching ebay if the said replacement board's price is really that high. Only proceed with replacing if you can get it at a significantly lower price and have it installed by a trusted technician.

8. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Bring it to Burn and Jhoy in Theater Mall Greenhills. They might be able to work on it.

9. twelve22

twelve22 Member

This happened to me twice, once for a MBP and the other time was for an iPad. Both times I ended up replacing it with a new one. I tried replacing the motherboard and within a few months, it broke. It would be better to purchase a new one. You get all the new tech and upgrades as well! I believe BTB still has their open box/sale promos up. Might want to check that out.

10. christopher

christopher Member

I was wondering about this where do you sell mac parts?

11. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

indeed, buying a new machine will most often be the wiser and more economical course. this is what i'd normally do.

but yesterday, here in the US, i bought two working (at least that's what was promised) logic boards for two dead macs i left at home--a 2009 macbook air and a 2010 macbook pro. the reason i chose to gamble on reviving them was that, first of all, both machines are pristine and like-new; the MBA was my wife's, and the MBP (broken) was a gift from a friend who didn't care to fix it; and by this time, logic board prices for these have fallen enough to be affordable; i got both for an average of $250 (about P11,000) each; at that price point, it's worth the risk.

do take note that if and when you decide to go for a replacement motherboard, you have to be absolutely sure that your replacement unit is the exact same model as the broken one. apple machines have model numbers (A1278, A1304, etc.) there were subtle differences between models not just in specs but also in fit. getting the wrong one could be a very expensive mistake. if you're not sure what model your mac is (you can find that from "about this mac," but if your mac's dead, you can't), then you can input your mac's serial number on everymac.com and find everything you need to know about it, including the model number. that will be the one to look for.

i'm going to have my reliable technician at ynzal, nomer baltazar, do the installation when i get back in a few weeks.

12. twelve22

twelve22 Member

try MacServe Manila, look for David Young.

Contact numbers:
    +639178552021 +6325869618

13. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Does anyone have any idea where can I sell my bricked 2009 27"imac? I decided not to have it fixed since its 5 yrs old and just buy a new one. I just don't know where to dispose of this. Its big, space occupying and solid aluminum. Any takers?

14. infiniteloop

Post it sa sulit. I'll buy it sana if its the 21in version as i need the front glass panel :-D

15. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Reviving this thread.

Our 2011 iMac 21 inch won't turn on anymore. It was working fine until yesterday. Tried and tested the power cord (switched it with another same model iMac), also tried resetting the SMC. No dice.

Where can I take this for repair?

Beyond the Box V-Mall says they are severely backlogged and if I leave it with them, they will be able to diagnose in 5 to 7 days pa.

16. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^try Senco. that's where i took our 2008 iMac Al last November. diagnosed in 2 days. unfortunately, replacement part (graphics card) no longer available, obsolete na raw.

17. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks Theus!

By the way, when you leave your iMac with a service center, what do you do about sensitive data and photos in there?

18. infiniteloop

backup first then erase(secured) all the data before repair. I think you can erase the username and all of its data at once para mas mabilis.

19. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^the engineer in me tried to 'fix' the unit. ended up formatting the hard drive. 7 pass! which by the way took forever. prolly overkill but i just wanted to see how it went. ayun sira parin, video card pala problema :) had TM back-up prior.

20. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

ynzal, of course. they're always my go-to guys (nomer, specifically) for reviving dead old macs. just this past month, nomer was able to revive a dead MBA and MBP for me (i found replacement logic boards on ebay in the US--not cheap, and risky, but still cheaper than buying new) and one ten-year-old ibook G4 (nomer still had one old IDE 2.5 hard disk set aside, ha ha). sometimes, if you're lucky, they'll still have old but working parts. if they can't fix it, no one can ;)