Imac Macintosh HD corrupt

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wena73, Nov 3, 2014.

1. wena73

wena73 Member

just sharing my experience.
    Recently my two month old imac 27 wont open and is just stucked at the apple logo and then suddenly it would turn off by itself. After trying to restart it multiple times and using the Disk Utility, it diagnosed the Macintosh HD is corrupt and needs to be repaired. Even after clicking Repair Disk it just didnt work out.
    So finally I decided to bring it to a service center at Greenhills.

The recommendation is to reformat and to reinstall the OS.
    I was informed that the corrupted hd could have been caused by installing updates like Yosemite which was not properly completed or downloaded.
    According to the tech personnel of Beyond the Box even if the item is under warranty it doesn't include the software so I paid P750. for the reformat and reinstall OS. I got my imac on the same day after three hours.
    Im just wondering with other Apple premium resellers if they also charge for the service for reformat and reinstall even if the item is still under warranty and purchased from them directly.
    I inquired at Istudio and they said if the item was purchased from them and still under warranty the reformat /reinstall is free . Otherwise the regular fee is around P1k.
    Although, Im really glad I got my imac repaired promptly I was wondering what other stores aside from Istudio gives free reformat and reinstall service for Macs that are still under warranty.

2. wena73

wena73 Member

3. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

For me its fair enough. You pay extra for the reformat. If only you know how to reformat then you save 750.

4. wena73

wena73 Member

I know I should learn to reformat too. i was able to reformat my 2011 Mac Air 11 last month since it comes with a flash drive installer. But I realized newer macs doesnt come with a usb installer anymore.

5. wena73

wena73 Member

Has anybody experienced stuck up or frozen issues after installing Yosemite?

6. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think you paid for the standard cost of labor (the technician diagnosed and reinstalled your OS).

7. wena73

wena73 Member

Yes, fair enough.

8. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

You've been in PhilMUG for a while... If only you asked here... you could have saved 750 and learned.

9. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Yes i experience this. That's why i downgrade to mavs.

10. wena73

wena73 Member

Thanks for the response. So i guess it would be good to downgrade to Maverick while yosemite still has some issues. :( I hope the yosemite gets fixed really soon.

11. wena73

wena73 Member

Yes I'll remember that. I will next time. Thanks for the advise. :)
    I just thought it would be better too bring the imac at the service center since its still under warranty. I didnt realized it could be the software.

12. wena73

wena73 Member

how do i downgrade to mavericks?

13. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Two ways to downgrade

1. Using usb mavs installer
    2. Restoring from time machine image

Did you backup your mac using time machine? Its much easier to rollback using this method

14. prinzhernan

prinzhernan Active Member

Sayang I could have done it for you for free. Hehe. :) I would have only charged for coffee.

15. Marianne

Marianne Member

I had a similar problem with my macbook. I went to switch since it was the closest to me. The reformat is free but they charge 1k for os install even if it's under warranty. Of course I didn't want to pay. Hahaha i just asked them to check to make sure it was just software related. The diagnosis was free too.

16. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

I upgraded to Yosemite. Keeps hanging. Reformatted then won't install anything. Now I have a brick iMac. Does anyone buy bricked iMacs?

17. wena73

wena73 Member

Thanks! :D

18. wena73

wena73 Member

It could probably mean that Yosemite was not installed properly could be due to wifi connection. This was my situation, so far the Yosemite installed is working ok now. But I had request a yosemite usb installer just in case I encounter similar problem again.

19. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

if it's just the hard drive that's busted, your imac is far from bricked; if the logic board is dead, then it's seriously bricked :( it's a huge pain to lose data (unless you back up religiously and redundantly, like i do after some really bad experiences), but at least a hard drive is easy and cheap to replace. i just bought replacement motherboards for a bricked MBA and a bricked MBP, and they cost me an arm and a leg. talk to nomer at ynzal to see if he can do something about your imac (assuming it's out of warranty).

20. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Latest update: my iMac has a defective video card. I still don't understand why it can't install Yosemite or any other OSX for that matter. Senco is asking for 29K for the repairs. I declined. I will just sell my iMac for parts. I will just get the new 5k iMac. So if anyone is interested, just PM me