iMac G4-Broken Ethernet Port

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pioamillos903, May 15, 2011.

1. pioamillos903

pioamillos903 New Member

I acquired a pre owned iMac G4 and it turns out its ethernet port was broken. The guy who sold it to me failed to mention it. Now I ordered a USB Ethernet adapter from Ebay and then it broke too. Now I'm thinking of buying a router for wireless internet because of the useless ethernet port.

My question is: Can my Mac can support wireless internet? If yes, what type of router should I purchase? Thanks a lot. :)

2. doods888

doods888 Member

Yes it can , either via original airport express card ,,,2500 pesos up...or any USB type wifi dongle that has an OSX driver compatible with yours (tiger,leopard etc) ....like realtek,dlink,ralink etc ,,, i have tried the ones in cdrking with realtek chips RLT 8187 ,,,check for driver avaulability before you buy.. happy surfing via your imac lampshade???

3. empty

empty Active Member

First you have to find out if your iMac has an airport card installed. Do you have the airport icon in the upper right of your screen? Its the one that looks like signal bars in an inverted triangle shape, if its installed but turned off its just an inverted triangle with no bars (right click to turn it on). If you dont have this icon then you probably don't have a wireless adapter installed (you can verify this by checking system profiler under Network/Airport Card).

If you dont have one installed you will need to install one to get wireless capability, doods888 listed what you need ablove.

Once you have wireless installed then you can buy any wireless router you want, even the cheapest model routers will work fine.

If you dont have wireless capability and already have a lan cable near your iMac I would still recommend getting another USB to ethernet adapter, they are easy to find locally, CDR King has them. An airport card for your imac is relatively hard to find, and the generic ones will require additional drivers and connection utilities that can be difficult to configure. :)

4. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

depending on the model of your imac g4, it either uses an airport card for the older models or an airport extreme card for the newer ones. post the serial # of your imac g4 so I can check which one it uses, I have these airport card for sale.

5. Jason_10

Jason_10 New Member

As per experience with older Macs, some are not compatible with generic network cable. Try using an OEM ethernet cable directly from the router.

6. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

Did the reseller provide a personal warranty? If the wireless port was the one defective, it's easily replaceable with an apple wireless card from other resellers. But if it's Ethernet, that doesn't usually get broken - either it was used improperly or the logicboard is showing signs of expiring...

Try to have Ynzal check your unit out.