iMac External Display Mirroring Keyboard Shortcut

Discussion in 'iMac' started by retsmd, Dec 26, 2014.

1. retsmd

retsmd New Member

I need help with my (rather old) iMac.

It is an early 2006 model (Intel Core Duo 1.83 Ghz). Mac OS X 10.6.8.
    With a busted LCD, it is now connected to an external LCD monitor through HDMI (through mirroring).
    Disk Utility now recommends repair of the hard drive. I can only do so by booting up with my Snow Leopard Installation DVD then repair the drive using Disk Utility.
    When it boots up however, the external LCD monitor is not on mirror display state. I have searched online and came up with the following shortcuts: command+F1, command+2, F7. I am using an A1048 Apple keyboard (it has no Function Fn key). I have been unsuccessful, so far. Upon booting up, the LCD screen is in stretched/extended state - its not mirroring the display on the iMac LCD (even if mirror display was ticked before I restarted or turned off the iMac). I have tried VoiceOver but I am having a hard time with it.

Anybody knows the keyboard shortcut which can be used during start-up to toggle and allow mirror display? Or is this a lost cause?

Do take note that the keyboard shortcut is to be used before the OS is loaded (this way, I can conveniently access Disk Utility through the installation DVD during start up).

Any input and help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all!

#1 retsmd, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. retsmd

retsmd New Member

I was eventually able to resolve my dilemma through Target Disc Mode =)