iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Since your techs are already opening yout iMacs, Don’t forget to also change the thermal paste. Old computers also heat up because their thermal paste have already expired and do not do its job anymore.

2. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I would also have them take it apart and clean out all the dust & debris.

lamski likes this.
  3. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Did you install it yourself? How much did it cost? Thank you.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I live in San Juan so my suki is Santi's in Shopville. They are great in servicing old out of warranty Macs.

5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Since you mentioned it, had three 2011 iMacs cleaned out recently. We noticed were getting quite hot to the touch even with light workloads like using Pages or browsing online. Our technician decided to replace the old thermal paste and the temperatures went back to normal. From now on I will be changing the thermal paste of all my old Macs when I get them cleaned.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hopefully, ARM iMacs and its overdue redesign accounts for what you guys are discussing here. While its sure to run cooler, I hope they don't forego any type of cooling that might cause premature thermal throttling.

8. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll correct that oversight. Apple's designs were based on the technical specs provided by Intel. If Intel deviated from these assumptions then it isnt Apple's fault that it throttles.

Intel CEO: PC upgrade cycle slowed to 5-6 years

If your Mac is 6 years or older (like 8 years) then you're good for an upgrade if you want it.

This translates to any Mac bought after August 2014 or August 2012 model.

I'm trying to defy that by having a 12 year upgrade cycle to be completed in 2024. ;)

Next iMac I'd buy would be a base model that costs $1,799 or hopefully less. This is unlike the iMac that I use daily that was the top end Core i7 BTO.

Everything described below covers the largest screen (24" or 27") base model iMac.

A $1,799 iMac bought in 2007 is slower & more expensive than any $1,799 iMac bought today or in the future due to inflation and Moore's Law.

Prior to the 2007 $1,799 iMac 24" Aluminum the 2006 iMac 24" White was being sold for a higher price of $1,999.

Today the 2020 iMac 27" starts at $1,799 with some retailers offering it at $100 off. I would not be surprised if they'll eventually offer $400 off between today and August 2021.

$1,399 iMac anyone?

There are some speculations that Macs with Apple Silicon will benefit from a price cut due to cheaper non-Intel parts that have superior Performance per Watt.

It is possible that Apple maintains the $1,799 price point and increase the screen size beyond 27". Like say 30" of the Cinema Display or 32" of the Pro Display XDR.

I hope that is true as this could help Apple increase their market share to the top 20% of a shrinking PC laptop/desktop market. Windows can keep the bottom 80%.

If you Boot Camp to Windows then the 2020 Macs are your last Macs to be able to do this. If you have an app whose developers are no more then do not expect Universal 2 binaries for them.

#108 Adarna, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  9. Emug

Emug Member

Mine is mid 2011 iMac/Yosemite OS. Using it for large files photo editing w/o hiccups.

10. kristianne

kristianne Active Member

mine is iMac late 2013, on Catalina with default specs is so slow, change to SSD, so much faster now! bought my own tools (spudgers, screw drivers etc), adhesive tape, crucial m500 1tb ssd and did the upgrade and cleaning myself.....

11. Emug

Emug Member

Question lng, instead of changing the internal HD to SSD. How about working on extenal SSD instead?

12. R-T

R-T Active Member

mine is 3 years old and slow AF. It's only use is for downloading torrents and zoom.

13. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^That's weird. Mine is 5 years old and still works like the day it was bought :)

14. Godfather Actual

Godfather Actual New Member

I've been doing this for 6 years now and it work wonderfully. You can change to other macs and still have the same thing.

I use Micro SD and a converted and plug it at the SD slots of all mac's im working on,

15. ambongtahimik

ambongtahimik New Member

Where did you bought the tools and hardware? Can I call you somewhere? Thanks.

16. AkoSiBatMan

AkoSiBatMan Active Member

My iMac has been with me for 6 years now (2014 model). :cool:

17. kristianne

kristianne Active Member

lamski likes this.
  18. MAVO_Xeron

MAVO_Xeron New Member

Good day!

We have a imac 2012 2.7GHz Quad-core intel core i5. It still functioning but the performance is slow. Editing videos and pictures are slow but basic use of it is performing well. IDK if I should change the RAM or bring it to the genius bar to have it repaired. Any advise? :)

19. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have the same iMac, actually a mid-2011 with those specs. I had my hard drive replaced with SSD by Ynzal and it's enjoying its second life. I'd say I wouldn't need a new one except it's non-Retina so eye strain does kick in late on a working day so I have to switch to my MBP.

20. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Got a 2016 5k 27” retina max specs still works fine.

until the apple silicon version comes out... then I might feel slowdown and have to give it to my kid.